Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by RG1X
Currently about to head off on a cycling holiday so can't really check myself, but are there any decent tier point runs opened up with this latest sale? I only really need about 400 points but nothing stopping me going for more for an interesting trip.
LHR-HEL is pricing at 119 each way in J for every weekend in Jan and Feb if you're not in a hurry... Tha'ts 1.5 pounds / TP, not bad.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by alex67500
LHR-HEL is pricing at 119 each way in J for every weekend in Jan and Feb if you're not in a hurry... Tha'ts 1.5 pounds / TP, not bad.
Ex-JER also looking very reasonable (albeit LGW makes positioning a bit of a pain !)...
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by IAANN
How many TP do you need to jump to Gold?
Hi,

I just reached silver and my points reset on the 8th Aug.

So effectively need to start at the beginning. Happy to do a decent points run to get me there. Timing is not restricted to 27th Miami trip anymore. BA sale I can get Miami flights for 300 which is great.

so I can incorporate it or do a run in Oct when it's cheaper and school holidays are over.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Gaz1a
Just looking at this, how long could I stopover in LA? Just to confirm the stopover is free on the way to HNL and not on the way back?
The way I read it, yes. Try a booking with no stopover to get a price, then try price it up with the stopover and see if it increases.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FrogTastic
LHR - HEL going for 217.00 6/7 Oct via skyscanner.
Is there any issue using Skyscanner / Netflights etc vs BA direct in terms of avios and TPs? As this is a £21 saving v's BA direct. Thanks
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by gritts2
Is there any issue using Skyscanner / Netflights etc vs BA direct in terms of avios and TPs? As this is a £21 saving v's BA direct. Thanks
No, however I did experience issues with Amex payment via the Netflights website, so I ended up calling and doing it over the phone.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:01 am

On the topic of using OTA's, I am assuming that if the quote is shown as "Business" then you would get the correct TP's ? (Rather than getting booked into a lower or non earning Fare Class but still having a CE/CW seat)
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Gaz1a
Just looking at this, how long could I stopover in LA? Just to confirm the stopover is free on the way to HNL and not on the way back?
Originally Posted by flashware
The way I read it, yes. Try a booking with no stopover to get a price, then try price it up with the stopover and see if it increases.
Generally if a stopover is free, it'll explicitly say free (and the number will be limited). Try pricing it by all means, but I'd be surprised.

Originally Posted by petez
On the topic of using OTA's, I am assuming that if the quote is shown as "Business" then you would get the correct TP's ? (Rather than getting booked into a lower or non earning Fare Class but still having a CE/CW seat)
No difference in earning, with the possible exception of some consolidator fares - in the UK I believe you have to be told if this is the case.

However, it does impact whether you can upgrade using Avios. Check the sticky thread about spending Avios for the full details.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: BAEC, Virgin Flying Club
Quick question on Tier Point collection years. If in my account it says that my collection year ends on a specific day and I travel on that day. Will that flight count in this year, or next? I am assuming it will be the one just ending, but I wondered if anyone else had encountered this? It would be nice if it didn't for me, but I'm sure for others they have been in the opposite boat.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by sbonathan
Quick question on Tier Point collection years. If in my account it says that my collection year ends on a specific day and I travel on that day. Will that flight count in this year, or next? I am assuming it will be the one just ending, but I wondered if anyone else had encountered this? It would be nice if it didn't for me, but I'm sure for others they have been in the opposite boat.
current year
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by typical
Generally if a stopover is free, it'll explicitly say free (and the number will be limited). Try pricing it by all means, but I'd be surprised.
I was interested in this fare, but only if I could stopover in LAX. I tried pricing it both ways - price increases by E600 if I have more than 24 hours in LAX.

If anyone can price still get the price with a stopover, I'm very interested.
flashware likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:18 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zen100
I was interested in this fare, but only if I could stopover in LAX. I tried pricing it both ways - price increases by E600 if I have more than 24 hours in LAX.

If anyone can price still get the price with a stopover, I'm very interested.
unfortunately there aren't free stopovers in the US for this fare and any stopovers do incur a EUR600 fee. I can't see a way to include a stopover in the US without the fee - the only suggestion is you go to HNL and book a separate nested return to LAX.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
unfortunately there aren't free stopovers in the US for this fare and any stopovers do incur a EUR600 fee. I can't see a way to include a stopover in the US without the fee - the only suggestion is you go to HNL and book a separate nested return to LAX.
Thanks. Is EUR600 EUR fairly standard for AA, or does it vary per fare. With my last OTP=>PHX run, I made a holiday out of it, doubling back to the WAS/NYC after arriving in PHX - and then heading out West again. But that cost EUR300 - and I lost 2 x half days out of my holiday for the extra travelling. So in some cases, it may be better to pay the stopover fee.

In fact, just checking - doubling back from HNL to LAX/LAS in Economy in March on AA would cost between EUR425-EUR700 anyway, so yes, better to pay the stopover fee for that trip - if that's what I wanted to do.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by zen100
Is EUR600 EUR fairly standard for AA, or does it vary per fare.
On the cheaper I class fares, when stopovers are actually permitted, 600 euros is fairly normal for a stopover in the US these days.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: BAEC (Blue, usually)
Originally Posted by FrogTastic
LHR - HEL going for 217.00 6/7 Oct via skyscanner.
I took a bit of a 'risk' on this; booked via BA for £238 and then filled out the Best Price guarantee form. I wasn't going to be beat up about losing .08TP/£ efficiency on what I already consider to be a good value run but BA just got back to me this morning with a £50 voucher, so the gamble was well worth it!
dawntreader380 and trader_81 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.