Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by onobond
Although not the case here, there is also the possibility to upgrade J->F using SWUs
Yes, of course
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by wanderingjock
Excellent report and information for some of us travelling there later this year (esp the taxi ticket! ) - Thanks!

Really surprised by the J-F upgrade on the 321 transcon as there are usually really long waitlists of EXP-AA people for those flights - so well done!
I'll be avoiding the transcon route where possible in the future. The LAX-JFK might flight I did was due 'some chop' according to captain, but was relentlessly turbulent for the entire flight. Impossible to sleep. The A321 gets lobbed around far more than a larger transatlantic plane, and the over land routing is more likely to hit such air I believe. Was perfectly smooth in reverse!
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: BAEC (Blue, usually)
For booking advance fare purchases which aren't entirely BA metal, do folks prefer to call up BA and book via them or to use something like BookWithMatrix? Is there a particular difference or none pther than whatever fees each avenue uses? Want to book the INCEU60 but will involve some CX/MH metal — unsure if that'll be a problem doing it via the phone or if there won't be an issue.

Many thanks.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
BUD-MLE on QR in J for 560 / £855 / £1.52 per TP

Quite open until mid December
rockflyertalk and davm666 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ifearn0thing
For booking advance fare purchases which aren't entirely BA metal, do folks prefer to call up BA and book via them or to use something like BookWithMatrix? Is there a particular difference or none pther than whatever fees each avenue uses? Want to book the INCEU60 but will involve some CX/MH metal — unsure if that'll be a problem doing it via the phone or if there won't be an issue.

Many thanks.
...personally I just call BA and that should be ok for your booking
Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Hello all, need to get 370TPs by Nov 8 but can only fly at weekends as no work trip planned and no holiday available, so long haul doesn't feel viable. Would you recommend splitting it into 3-4 short haul trips (thinking Spain via MAD), or is there any other clever route?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by mikeyfly

Gone........
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Sillyrabbit79
Hello all, need to get 370TPs by Nov 8 but can only fly at weekends as no work trip planned and no holiday available, so long haul doesn't feel viable. Would you recommend splitting it into 3-4 short haul trips (thinking Spain via MAD), or is there any other clever route?
You can do 200-240 TP in a week-end trip with Finnair, which would be my personal favourite. Spain via MAD would be a 120TP return.

Either method would do, of course, I'd just look up Google flights with flexible dates and look at where in the northern countries you can go with Finnair, or where in Spain (or to some Atlantic islands maybe) you can go.

If you're not fussed about making a touristic week-end out of it and are ok with just flying around, you can even do something ex-EU.

EDIT (I'm bored waiting for a flight in a lounge, so why not):

I found London - St Petersburg, 6 / 7 Oct, 412 GBP for 280TP
Then you can probably do something like Helsinki / Reykjavik with one way in Biz and the other in Economy for the last 90 TP.
Sillyrabbit79 likes this.

Last edited by thebigben; Aug 5, 2018 at 3:43 pm
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by thebigben
You can do 200-240 TP in a week-end trip with Finnair, which would be my personal favourite. Spain via MAD would be a 120TP return.

Either method would do, of course, I'd just look up Google flights with flexible dates and look at where in the northern countries you can go with Finnair, or where in Spain (or to some Atlantic islands maybe) you can go.

If you're not fussed about making a touristic week-end out of it and are ok with just flying around, you can even do something ex-EU.
Is the Finnair option LHR - HEL via OSL?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Is the Finnair option LHR - HEL via OSL?
I couldn't price anything reasonable right now, but sometimes you can do LHR-HEL-OSL, LHR-HEL-TLL, or other destinations in Scandinavia or the Baltics. The key being to start with a LHR-HEL leg and ending up in a third city which may sometimes be cheaper than straight up LHR-HEL even though the trip is longer.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
You might want to look at LUX->HEL (via LHR) which can be done for around £500 for 240 points, plus positioning for around £160 for another 80.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by mikeyfly

was that a mistake fare?! Good spot either way!
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
AA have amended schedules last night, affecting some of my November flights. I had a couple of cancellations and time changes. Might want to check any AA itineraries you have. They were as accommodating as ever on the reroutes, including onto the MIA-LAX 772 with the Diamond all forward facing seating.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Gone........
Drat, I would have definitely jumped on that!
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
DUB-LHR-HEL return in CE is wide open on weekends - £416 for 240 TPs. You'd need positioning to DUB and a Saturday night stay in HEL so out Sat and back Sun.

LHR-LUX-LHR (80 TPs in CE) can be done for around £180 most weekends in September - easy back to back and can be nested with LUX-LHR-LUX which is around £140 some weekends
ebwoy likes this.

Last edited by Ned1968; Aug 6, 2018 at 3:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.