Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX 1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - 1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - 1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under 3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep 1.48/TP 650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep 1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open 1.94/TP 700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan 1.58/TP 883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb 1.44/TP 575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb 1.53/TP 860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar 1.22/TP 687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr 0.87/TP 314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr 1.19/TP 335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr 1.28/TP 335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr 2.00/TP 320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under 300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under 500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for 520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: BAEC (Blue, usually)
Suspected as much (wasn't sure if Taiwan counted as 'China' in the T&Cs ) — I think I'll adjust the itinerary and do the SIN-BKK-SIN-LHR-AMS leg all on the way back (with a night in a BKK) and go in Y class with my friend as it seems to be much cheaper/less strenuous to go to TPE via SIN. Not fully concerned about milking the most out of my TPs for this small segment.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by ifearn0thing
Suspected as much (wasn't sure if Taiwan counted as 'China' in the T&Cs ) I think I'll adjust the itinerary and do the SIN-BKK-SIN-LHR-AMS leg all on the way back (with a night in a BKK) and go in Y class with my friend as it seems to be much cheaper/less strenuous to go to TPE via SIN. Not fully concerned about milking the most out of my TPs for this small segment.
BKK-KUL-TPE on MH is quite cheap right now. Around 1.30 / TP
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:32 am
NPC

Programs: BAEC - Silver, HHonors - Silver
Originally Posted by pjh981
I just can't replicate these fares in ITA Matrix - has the fare gone?
I'm only getting quotes of just under 2000 already, I might be doing something wrong but I imagine the fare has gone already?

Had another play and have found some as low as 526 but with a long night stop at RDU, definitely still about!

Last edited by NPC; Jul 23, 2018 at 3:56 am Reason: Issue resolved!
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson VIP, Hertz Gold, Accor Plat
I'm getting them no problem - very tempting.
NPC likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:28 am
NPC

Programs: BAEC - Silver, HHonors - Silver
Originally Posted by phoneticduck
So tempting I'm contemplating doing 2 of them in consecutive weeks......
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by phoneticduck
Indeed, many good fares out there, just requires a level of competence...
pjh981 and Calum like this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Indeed, many good fares out there, just requires a level of competence...
That rules me out then haha

Any chance of a screen shot of what to put into Matrix nufnuf77
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by happeemonkee
That rules me out then haha

Any chance of a screen shot of what to put into Matrix nufnuf77
Easiest way would be multi city with the relevant legs and flight numbers

ITA is known to timeout on large queries unless you get specific.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by teledude
Easiest way would be multi city with the relevant legs and flight numbers

ITA is known to timeout on large queries unless you get specific.
Ye it was timing out so I tried the multi city but I'm getting fares of 2000 plus. Will keep laying with the dates thanks

UPDATE

i've found the fares now. Very tempted!!
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat

Originally Posted by happeemonkee
Ye it was timing out so I tried the multi city but I'm getting fares of 2000 plus. Will keep laying with the dates thanks

UPDATE

i've found the fares now. Very tempted!!
happeemonkee and JessicaTam like this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hyatt Prive
This is a silly question but I've found the YVR-PTY fare as you've suggested - is there any particular reason why this exact routing was selected? Does the fare not work with any other routing? I assume this was chosen to best optimise TP value. I was thinking it might be easier to use a couple of more relaxing flights in! Thanks
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SPG Platinum
Hi - I've been browsing the forums for a few weeks and this is my first post. Some fantastic information here.

I'm at 1040 tier points and want to get to Gold before my collection year ends, Jan 2019. I have some travel that I *have* to do so wanted to get some thoughts on making it more interesting from a tier point perspective. Below is an example...

I need to be in Ibiza for a 40th birthday but want to mix in some time elsewhere in Spain, totally flexible. I am based in London. Dates are flexible +/- 1 day.

29th September LON > IBZ (any route, stopover is fine)
3rd October IBZ > XXX (somewhere else in Spain that works from a routing perspective)
6th October XXX > LON

If this isn't strictly a tier point run then please disregard. Thanks in advance for help and the awesome resource created here.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by matt_s_london
Hi - I've been browsing the forums for a few weeks and this is my first post. Some fantastic information here.

I'm at 1040 tier points and want to get to Gold before my collection year ends, Jan 2019. I have some travel that I *have* to do so wanted to get some thoughts on making it more interesting from a tier point perspective. Below is an example...

I need to be in Ibiza for a 40th birthday but want to mix in some time elsewhere in Spain, totally flexible. I am based in London. Dates are flexible +/- 1 day.

29th September LON > IBZ (any route, stopover is fine)
3rd October IBZ > XXX (somewhere else in Spain that works from a routing perspective)
6th October XXX > LON

If this isn't strictly a tier point run then please disregard. Thanks in advance for help and the awesome resource created here.
Stopping in Madrid on your dates in J would be 499 and yield 160TP
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:16 am

Lax-bda aa $493

A nice run posted over in premium fare deals:

LAX-BDA can be routed any number of ways, for example LAX-CLT-MIA-BDA or LAX-PHX-MIA-BDA for 220 TPs or $2.24/TP

Can do LAX-JFK-BDA for the nice Transcon J on AA, but miss out on 40TPs

OP: AA: LAX - JFK - BDA $493 I fare (one way)

Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
The LAX-PHX-MIA-BDA routing only earns 120 TP as PHX-MIA only is 1972 miles. LAX-CLT, however, is 2125 miles. So LAX-CLT-MIA-BDA is 220TP

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.