Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX Ł1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - Ł1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - Ł1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under Ł3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep Ł1.48/TP Ł650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep Ł1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open Ł1.94/TP Ł700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan Ł1.58/TP Ł883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb Ł1.44/TP Ł575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb Ł1.53/TP Ł860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar Ł1.22/TP Ł687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr Ł0.87/TP Ł314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr Ł1.19/TP Ł335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr Ł1.28/TP Ł335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr Ł2.00/TP Ł320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under Ł300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under Ł500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for Ł520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
And how many posts have there been discussing the types of posts on this thread?

I am more than happy with the way things are. If people are looking for a deal then there is no harm in looking through the thread for the information.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 07L 25R
I agree. I don't know whether it's possible or not, but some of the more popular runs could have links to their own mini threads for separate discussions and questions to ease congestion here.
This did happen in the past. A few years ago when we had very good TP run fares (e.g, exDUB fares to Hawaii for ~Ł1050) there were so many posts about the fare and questions surrounding it that those posts were split off in to a separate thread. I guess we haven't had similar situations since due to the demise of very broad exEU sales.
cgtechuk likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:19 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by KARFA
This did happen in the past. A few years ago when we had very good TP run fares (e.g, exDUB fares to Hawaii for ~Ł1050) there were so many posts about the fare and questions surrounding it that those posts were split off in to a separate thread. I guess we haven't had similar situations since due to the demise of very broad exEU sales.
And the collapse of the pound which made these trips good value.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by santihead
Two work trips got cancelled last minute and I will now need 180 TPs before September 8th to maintain Gold!! Based in London. Does anyone have any suggestion for last minute -weekend- trips end of July through August? I tried a few spanish trips via Madrid which would give me 120TP, but summer prices are crazy. Can't seem to find much to Oslo either. Can someone assist a fellow desperate traveller? Many thanks!
Aug 25-26
DUB-LHR-HEL-LHR-DUB for €458.95 with overnight in HEL in J should get you 240 TPs. Drop last leg to stay home in London and still get the 200TPs you need. Works out to less than 2 euro/TP..
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: BAEC GOLD HH GOLD

Last edited by ukdelinquent; Jul 17, 2018 at 4:03 pm Reason: Error to quote
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC GOLD HH GOLD
Originally Posted by ukdelinquent
Hi - I posted a couple weeks ago abd thought I had found out what I needed/would work as basically could get work to pay for it in a roundabout way. So firstly, the 2-week extension on tier point year end, is that guaranteed? So If I end Aug 8th - Can I fly out up to the 22nd. or at least completed all outbound travel by the 22nd?

Secondly - so I need 460 TP's from LON. I have found some good deals from FRA or AMS via PHL to SEA etc, anyother ideas in that bracket? If its dirt cheap may take daughter, both of us have ESTA's already. Or even open to shorthaul plus around the EU HEL/OSL etc?

Thanks

Andy
Really keen to know about the 2 week grace if anyones knows of the top of their heads? ANd of course the actaul TP Run Thankly you muchly.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Surgee
Aug 25-26
DUB-LHR-HEL-LHR-DUB for €458.95 with overnight in HEL in J should get you 240 TPs. Drop last leg to stay home in London and still get the 200TPs you need. Works out to less than 2 euro/TP..
Does BA not penalise you for dropping the last leg? Some airlines can get very difficult about this kind of thing. I remember reading some Terms & Conditions where they reserved the right to re-price the ticket if you changed the itinerary in this way.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:54 am
DVT

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Bossarb
Does BA not penalise you for dropping the last leg? Some airlines can get very difficult about this kind of thing. I remember reading some Terms & Conditions where they reserved the right to re-price the ticket if you changed the itinerary in this way.
A couple of years ago there was some scaremongering about it, but no actual evidence or experience of anything happening ever occurred; no stories, nada.

Feel free to search the forum there are endless threads about it, I wouldn't like to see this thread get clogged up with it though.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by DVT
A couple of years ago there was some scaremongering about it, but no actual evidence or experience of anything happening ever occurred; no stories, nada.

Feel free to search the forum there are endless threads about it, I wouldn't like to see this thread get clogged up with it though.
This is factually incorrect. There was a significant case of demanding payment from a TA where customers had not flown the last leg. What there is not, is any evidence that BA have ever gone after individual customers.

cgtechuk likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
In recent years, I know AA has penalized some members who almost on a weekly basis did hidden-city-ticketing, i.e. planning to fly AAA-BBB, but buying a cheaper ticket AAA-BBB-CCC , offloading at BBB and throwing away the BBB-CCC ticket. Like many other things bordering on the wrong side of T&Cs, there is probably no risk to do this occasionally, but of course, no guarantee. Making it a habit might be asking for trouble, though.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
You can't sum it up better than what onobond has so don't over think it and don't over do it !
onobond likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: Executive Club
I think (haven't checked recently) that in the specific case of this DUB-LHR-HEL fare, you can simply book DUB-LHR-HEL-LHR for much the same price as booking the full return to DUB. And therefore there's no need to "drop" the last leg, just don't book it in the first place.
FrogTastic likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
As the discussion on Hidden City/Throw-away ticketing came up yesterday, I wanted to share a post from the AA forum. As some TP-runners going westward might have their tickets on AA stock (001), it might be good to know that AA is following this and have not only installed software to detect it, but also encourages agents to report possible misuse. The poster is the most well-informed on present and upcoming AA procedures I have read.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29977572-post687.html

Of course there is presently no evidence BA is doing the same yet, but sharing many other things with JV partners, one never knows...
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by onobond
As the discussion on Hidden City/Throw-away ticketing came up yesterday, I wanted to share a post from the AA forum. As some TP-runners going westward might have their tickets on AA stock (001), it might be good to know that AA is following this and have not only installed software to detect it, but also encourages agents to report possible misuse. The poster is the most well-informed on present and upcoming AA procedures I have read.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29977572-post687.html

Of course there is presently no evidence BA is doing the same yet, but sharing many other things with JV partners, one never knows...
In an environment where a penny saved is a penny earned, I would be amazed if BA weren't contemplating this !!

Quite relaxed myself as only 1 of my large number of non-UK-originating itineraries has had a no-show on the final sector and that was involuntary (granted only single-entry visa).
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Slightly OT, but since it is used here all the time: has anyone had any luck sticking a landing on BA.com from ITA using Powertools recently?

I've not had much success - mostly trying mixed-class open-jaw which won't land at all [error page]. Just tried mixed class straight return and it's turned it into an all economy booking [which may be the unbundled fares].

I was wondering if this is due to the new website having changed the URL structure [in which case Powertools might need an update], or whether it's just my bad luck...

[I asked in the Powertools thread, but it doesn't seem to get much traffic].

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.