Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by 07L 25R
I'm just guessing a lot of people (myself included) are misusing this particular thread and "TP runs" are being mixed up with premium fare "deals" in that we are trying to get to a particular destination at a particular time for purposes other than accumulating TPs. Unfortunately, unless you are truly flexible with dates and perhaps destination, it is quite difficult to find proper TP run-worthy deals to many parts of Asia...
But that's always the case with TP running, it's difficult to combine TP optimal and destination/schedule worthy places. That's the reason I only ever did 1 panama run...
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
The TP run is 2018 defined in the Wiki of this thread as:

This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP
Just a couple of years ago it was £2/TP, and IIRC, last year raised to 2.5. Thus, the border between what goes into this thread and the Premium Fare Deals (PFD) thread is somewhat murky. IMO, a thread containing 3K posts after a little more than 6 months is hard to view, which leads to having the same questions being answered yesterday/last week/ now are asked again [and again ].

The other day, meeting another FTer, talking about soon being up to his JER-PDX run, I wanted to check this deal, knowing the rate no longer valid. I gave up after searching through many pages. The repeated questions of "I need 10/60/380/1260/23450 TP before next week/end of summer/november/in 3 years" are in my eye cluttering the view of ongoing deals, and tips to tweak routings/dates to make the deal better. Of course, finding 3K posts in a thread makes you less interested to even read the previous 2 pages.

I suggested some years ago to split this thread into subfora, to make it more more manageable. At that time, few responders even commented on it, but maybe the time wasn't ready then. Perhaps time to reconsider?

1. The TP-run thread changed to a subforum, where all deals have their own thread, perhaps merged with the PFD thread, and mandatory to have the £/TP quota in the headline. This is actually in a smaller scale already happening, but in the name of mini-Dos , like HNL, PHX and more. If not considered a deal, a new thread will quickly sink to the lower grounds, but all comments on it are not cluttering the ongoing deals that a larger portion of readers/posters might find more attractive.

2. When deals/fares are pulled/gone, the thread is moved to a TP-run discussion subforum, where also general questions are directed .

This is just a suggestion, there are for sure other changes to incorporate. The repeated suggestions of having all "First First" threads merged in a similar way, be it called a thread or subforum, was yet a reason for me to raise the topic again. Let's be open to changes that can make it easier to use this forum.
dandare and OverTheHorizon like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by onobond
The TP run is 2018 defined in the Wiki of this thread as:

Just a couple of years ago it was £2/TP, and IIRC, last year raised to 2.5.
It's been £3/TP since at least 2013, it's just we don't get the deals we used to.
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: Some
Deleted!
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calum
It's been £3/TP since at least 2013, it's just we don't get the deals we used to.
OK, the quote was just a comment to two previous posts today, but not the main object. I tried to search for previous years, but it seems just like our own post count/programs/bylines, it changes over time, and the last version is presented, even if on checks the first post I made, it's listed with today's post count.

The archived threads of 2014 and 2015 (2) have a vast majority of deals >£1-1.5, just a couple in the segment 2-2.5, but I'm reluctant to elaborate further on the details that were not the topic of my post.

IMO, the TP-run thread is hard to follow, nearly impossible to search, and with lots of repeated questions being asked and answered. With minor changes, the thread could be yet more valuable to us all
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:12 am

Programs: BA
Two work trips got cancelled last minute and I will now need 180 TPs before September 8th to maintain Gold!! Based in London. Does anyone have any suggestion for last minute -weekend- trips end of July through August? I tried a few spanish trips via Madrid which would give me 120TP, but summer prices are crazy. Can't seem to find much to Oslo either. Can someone assist a fellow desperate traveller? Many thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I'm just guessing a lot of people (myself included) are misusing this particular thread and "TP runs" are being mixed up with premium fare "deals" in that we are trying to get to a particular destination at a particular time for purposes other than accumulating TPs. Unfortunately, unless you are truly flexible with dates and perhaps destination, it is quite difficult to find proper TP run-worthy deals to many parts of Asia...
There has always been a lot of overlap with various other threads, and in the reference posts I note the other threads folks may be interested in:

Other FT threads/boards to watch & external sites
The TP run thread is often a place where good fares are posted aimed at good TP earning. However, it isn’t the only place on FT where such fares are discussed. Here are some other threads/boards you may wish to subscribe to which all relate to good fares.

I don't think it can be avoided as some fares can be a mixture of a sale and a good TP run. I would certainly recommend that people subsribe to a few of the threads above and don't try and rely on one only.

It goes without saying that I am grateful to those FT'ers who post on this thread the TP runs they find

Btw in terms of TP runs around Asia MH should be your starting point as they usually have very keen fares in J.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
Originally Posted by KARFA
<snip>

Btw in terms of TP runs around Asia MH should be your starting point as they usually have very keen fares in J.
And they have sales every month or so.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Could we have a TP run clinic thread? Fare finds in here, questions in there (possibly pointing back to specific posts here)?

When i booked my NBO-HNL, the (very helpful) woman on the Gold line actually asked "so is this a Tier Point run?". (I mean I'm not going via HEL for the sauna in the lounge, but given it's only $400 more than a simple NBO-LHR in J, and I want to go to the US too, not really a pure run either.)
onobond likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by typical
Could we have a TP run clinic thread? Fare finds in here, questions in there (possibly pointing back to specific posts here)?
Some of the other boards only allow very strict posting of the fare and fare rules, and no questions or discussion. It makes for a very dry and unwelcoming thread I feel. Many of the questions do relate to the fares anyway so splitting the fare posting and the questions relating to it (routings, how to book etc.) seems to make it harder to follow rather than easier. I don't think this thread is so busy that it is being overwhelmed by posts so I don't see the need to split it.
Markie, typical, Gerbs and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by typical

When i booked my NBO-HNL, the (very helpful) woman on the Gold line actually asked "so is this a Tier Point run?". (I mean I'm not going via HEL for the sauna in the lounge, but given it's only $400 more than a simple NBO-LHR in J, and I want to go to the US too, not really a pure run either.)
That might be looking at the problem I adress above from an other angle, but still trying to solve the same problem. I am, of course, not locked on the target of thread names, beeing a pragmatist more interested in the final function being as usable as possible
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some of the other boards only allow very strict posting of the fare and fare rules, and no questions or discussion. It makes for a very dry and unwelcoming thread I feel. Many of the questions do relate to the fares anyway so splitting the fare posting and the questions relating to it (routings, how to book etc.) seems to make it harder to follow rather than easier. I don't think this thread is so busy that it is being overwhelmed by posts so I don't see the need to split it.
I might have been unclear; I have absolutely no intention of separating routings & how to book from fare descriptions, validity and cost, as these items certainly belong together. But the multi-post elaborations on, for example, which airport shuttle company has the best excursion programme, or comparing hamburger quality in different TPrun/PFD destinations might, for those interested in those non fare-, routing- or reservation related questions, better be adressed in a separate thread.

Begging slightly to differ about this this thread not being busy, there actually are 3K+ posts in short of 200 Days of the present year, i.e. >15 posts/day. There are days when the post numbers ar double or triple. Not all of us have the time/ability to scan the thread every day, so for example planning for a certain deal/destination, it saves a lot of time not needing to check hundreds of posts to find that info. Most of the other BA threads with post numbers half of, or in the same level as the TPrun thread, were started 1-5 years ago.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: Tesco Clubcard, Heathrow Rewards, M&S Sparks, Caffè Nero, HSBC rewards... BAEC defector
I honestly think this thread is being run very well, so first of all thank you to the people who are actively patrolling it and updating the wiki and everything.

I'm guessing it's impossible to find the "best" way, as everyone will have their own opinions. I was merely pointing out that we I have been posting in both this thread and the premium deals thread sometimes without second thought as to which might be the more appropriate thread, as defined by the poster me. As KARFA pointed out in post # 3007 :
I don't think it can be avoided as some fares can be a mixture of a sale and a good TP run

Originally Posted by onobond
... Begging slightly to differ about this this thread not being busy, there actually are 3K+ posts in short of 200 Days of the present year, i.e. >15 posts/day. There are days when the post numbers ar double or triple. Not all of us have the time/ability to scan the thread every day, so for example planning for a certain deal/destination, it saves a lot of time not needing to check hundreds of posts to find that info...
I agree. I don't know whether it's possible or not, but some of the more popular runs could have links to their own mini threads for separate discussions and questions to ease congestion here. But similarly, one could argue that it would make it more difficult to find information on TP running in general. Regardless, homework needs to be done before runs, and this thread is already making it much easier, when the alternative is randomly search through Google Flights. That said, I wouldn't have known about Google Flights were it not for this thread...
onobond likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
I agree. I don't know whether it's possible or not, but some of the more popular runs could have links to their own mini threads for separate discussions and questions to ease congestion here. But similarly, one could argue that it would make it more difficult to find information on TP running in general. Regardless, homework needs to be done before runs, and this thread is already making it much easier, when the alternative is randomly search through Google Flights. That said, I wouldn't have known about Google Flights were it not for this thread...
Well there is a forum for this already: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/. To some extend this thread could be moved their as a general discussion threat (and stickied), and people could just post individual deals there as new threads. As it is currently done.

Last edited by linz36; Jul 17, 2018 at 9:14 am Reason: A thread is not a threat.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by linz36
Well there is a forum for this already: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/. To some extend this thread could be moved their as a general discussion threat (and stickied), and people could just post individual deals there as new threads. As it is currently done.
But maximising TPs is not the same as maximising mileage, which I think means a specific BA discussion is useful.

I do think that questions like "how can I earn 120 TPs by August?" or "how can I maximise TPs to Tokyo?" would be better in a different, dedicated thread. But not enough to say any more - I nevertheless like, and appreciate, this thread
onobond and lorcancoyle like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.