Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX 1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - 1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - 1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under 3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep 1.48/TP 650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep 1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open 1.94/TP 700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan 1.58/TP 883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb 1.44/TP 575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb 1.53/TP 860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar 1.22/TP 687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr 0.87/TP 314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr 1.19/TP 335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr 1.28/TP 335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr 2.00/TP 320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under 300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under 500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for 520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat
By the way. Is there anyway to get the lax jfk leg upgraded to f on the AA overnight ? Just curious
You could try looking on matrix for a price for this. You can stipulate it by sears heing for specific fare classes even if you are looking for the rest of the travel on J. I cannot remember what the fare classes are for AA and if they are the same for BA F. If so this would be A and F.

Alternatively you could try pricing the whole route in F. I have OTP/PHX in F for 1600 butbthat fare has not been available since February.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:21 am

Programs: British Airways
Thank you! Looks like I'm off to Scandi...
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
For clarity, this fare is available, bookable, is in business and can earn 1040TPs for the price of 1400(ish).

Plug a simple OTP-PHX into Google flights and look at dates mid-late August and you'll see the fare. Then it's a case of tweaking to find the right routing for the TPs.

As for upgrades, there are myriad reasons why people get upgraded. Generally when people hit Silver they get an upgrade or two to give them a look at what the next cabin up looks like. The issue here is generally if you're flying business tickets you likely won't stay Silver for long; so the amount of upgrades seems disproportionate.

That said, yes there are plenty of people who would say Golds typically get fewer upgrades than Silver. My upgrade rate as a GGL is fairly good on leisure heavy routes; but my jaw would hit the floor if I were upgraded on a route like JFK, LAX or SIN.
Hi Flyers, I am trying to book an OTP-PHX run mid August, but all the options include only a 1 hour 15 min connection at LHR. I presume it will be in and out of T5...grateful for any views as to whether I'm cutting it too fine please?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Does anyone have any possible MR suggestions that do not include the USA?

Im currently silver with approx 700 TPs for this year, and I was contemplating trying to get gold? Just a thought at this time.

I am excluding the US, for the simple reason that I do not have a VISA, as well as no desire to visit Trumpland, and am not interested in the time & effort it would take me (as a SA citizen).
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: * Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by teledude
I have done the identical run a few times - yes at OSL just wait at the gate - easy
Maybe there's a bug on Finnair system because after searching on google flights and clicking on "booking with Finnair" I end up with an error message mentionning that this type of ticket is not bookable online.

Google flights won't even let me select BA flghts
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Wbeest
Hi Flyers, I am trying to book an OTP-PHX run mid August, but all the options include only a 1 hour 15 min connection at LHR. I presume it will be in and out of T5...grateful for any views as to whether I'm cutting it too fine please?
You should be able to find other options. How are you searching? If using matrix you could try splitting the sectors or stipulate specific minimum connection times or even using specific flight numbers.

Also, if you post your preferred travel dates and routes somebody may be able to check availability for you.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Cris L
Does anyone have any possible MR suggestions that do not include the USA?

Im currently silver with approx 700 TPs for this year, and I was contemplating trying to get gold? Just a thought at this time.

I am excluding the US, for the simple reason that I do not have a VISA, as well as no desire to visit Trumpland, and am not interested in the time & effort it would take me (as a SA citizen).
Check the opening posts on this thread (I think post 13 or so) that details a run from AMS/BKK.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by madfish

You should be able to find other options. How are you searching? If using matrix you could try splitting the sectors or stipulate specific minimum connection times or even using specific flight numbers.

Also, if you post your preferred travel dates and routes somebody may be able to check availability for you.
Hi Madfish...thnx. I was using Google Flights ...I have the 1400 fare for OTP-LHR-JFK-LAX-PHX and PHX-LAX-JFK-MAD-OTP, but 1.15 was the Longest turnaround Travelling week of 13 Aug, so out 13th and back on 19th. I'm not tied to these dates but must be home for 20 Aug as 30th wedding anniversary! I tried Martix but couldnt get the price below 2133 even when asking for identical dates.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:12 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Wbeest
Hi Madfish...thnx. I was using Google Flights ...I have the 1400 fare for OTP-LHR-JFK-LAX-PHX and PHX-LAX-JFK-MAD-OTP, but 1.15 was the Longest turnaround Travelling week of 13 Aug, so out 13th and back on 19th. I'm not tied to these dates but must be home for 20 Aug as 30th wedding anniversary! I tried Martix but couldnt get the price below 2133 even when asking for identical dates.
Is there a reason for coming back via MAD rather than LHR? Besides which this will earn 40 less TPs as MAD/OTP is not a SH+ route.

If you fly back Sunday 19th you won't actual back home until late on 20th assuming you do a B2B at OTP. You cannot do the return TATL until the Sunday at the earliest although could fly to JFK on the Saturday, You might be able to do a late arrival into LHR on 20th and then complete the OTP on the 21st?

One suggested itinerary would be:
13/8
OTP/LHR AA6358 d8.30
LHR/JFK AA6136 d14.30
JFK/LAX AA185 d21.30

14/8
LAX/{HX AA767 d6.00

19/8
PHX/LAX AA3196 d6.00
LAX/JFK AA2 d9.00
JFK/LHR AA6212 d21.05

20/8
LHR/OTP AA6649 d11.40

I've used the AA codes but the OTP/LHR/JFK flights are on BA metal. Currently pricing up on matrix at 1396
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by madfish
Is there a reason for coming back via MAD rather than LHR? Besides which this will earn 40 less TPs as MAD/OTP is not a SH+ route.

If you fly back Sunday 19th you won't actual back home until late on 20th assuming you do a B2B at OTP. You cannot do the return TATL until the Sunday at the earliest although could fly to JFK on the Saturday, You might be able to do a late arrival into LHR on 20th and then complete the OTP on the 21st?

One suggested itinerary would be:
13/8
OTP/LHR AA6358 d8.30
LHR/JFK AA6136 d14.30
JFK/LAX AA185 d21.30

14/8
LAX/{HX AA767 d6.00

19/8
PHX/LAX AA3196 d6.00
LAX/JFK AA2 d9.00
JFK/LHR AA6212 d21.05

20/8
LHR/OTP AA6649 d11.40

I've used the AA codes but the OTP/LHR/JFK flights are on BA metal. Currently pricing up on matrix at 1396
...thnx Madfish...I need more practice with Matrix. I kept getting a higher fare when requesting routing via LHR...will look into this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:06 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by FCO36
Maybe there's a bug on Finnair system because after searching on google flights and clicking on "booking with Finnair" I end up with an error message mentionning that this type of ticket is not bookable online.

Google flights won't even let me select BA flghts
ITA it and then powertools into Priceline
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
So, having done two ex INV now, I find the whole thing exhausting.
And that's without a turnaround at INV as I head up to Caithness before and after a for a holiday.

How on earth do you do it? I can't imagine enjoying a BUH-LHR-JFK-LAX-PSP and back! Or indeed surviving it.... LOL
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Sealink
So, having done two ex INV now, I find the whole thing exhausting.
And that's without a turnaround at INV as I head up to Caithness before and after a for a holiday.

How on earth do you do it? I can't imagine enjoying a BUH-LHR-JFK-LAX-PSP and back! Or indeed surviving it.... LOL
Horses for courses

For me I enjoy the whole experience from packing until the last flight home....and then till the next one
serfty, IFE Wizard, jp_fin and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:07 am

Hi folks; Long time fan of this thread and all you fellow amazing fans of travel.
Need some help with a challenging task - I'm 240 TPs away from 2,500 and an upgrade voucher, but need to obtain it before 8th Sept, around a number of black-out dates and with a conservative(ish) budget. BTW I live in London.
Any advice?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ebwoy
Hi folks; Long time fan of this thread and all you fellow amazing fans of travel.
Need some help with a challenging task - I'm 240 TPs away from 2,500 and an upgrade voucher, but need to obtain it before 8th Sept, around a number of black-out dates and with a conservative(ish) budget. BTW I live in London.
Any advice?
An easy option would be LHR/HEL/OSL for around 500 earning 240TPs in J.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.