Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX 1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - 1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - 1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under 3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep 1.48/TP 650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep 1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open 1.94/TP 700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan 1.58/TP 883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb 1.44/TP 575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb 1.53/TP 860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar 1.22/TP 687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr 0.87/TP 314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr 1.19/TP 335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr 1.28/TP 335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr 2.00/TP 320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under 300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under 500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for 520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: BA - Gold, Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Silver
Originally Posted by leenux_tux
I have done 6 BA flights since mid August '17 so I am hoping that this should suffice :-)

Thanks for the prompt replies folks, much appreciated
This is across your membership year.......

From:https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ut-tier-points :

Gold:
  • Fly with us at least four times and earn 1,500 Tier Points.
Eligible British Airways flights are:
  • British Airways operated flights, including franchises and BA CityFlyer.
  • Flights operated by Iberia, included franchises, with an IB flight number.
Reward flights and industry discounted bookings do not qualify.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sunguy
This is across your membership year.......

From:https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ut-tier-points :

Gold:
  • Fly with us at least four times and earn 1,500 Tier Points.
Eligible British Airways flights are:
  • Flights operated by Iberia, included franchises, with an IB flight number.
Reward flights and industry discounted bookings do not qualify.
Be careful, that wording seems to be wrong regarding eligible flight definition on that page of ba.com (highlighted before on another thread somewhere a few months ago too). This seems to be accurate, to be eligible flights they must be either marketed or operated by BA, or they must be marketed and operated by IB.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_gb

Eligible flights are defined as those flights marketed or operated by British Airways and those flights marketed and operated by Iberia.

-'Marketed' means the flight will have a BA flight number (in your itinerary or on your ticket).
-'Operated' means the aircraft that you travel on is a British Airways aircraft (including franchises and BACityflyer).
-'Marketed and operated by Iberia' means the flight will have an IB flight number and the aircraft you travel on is an Iberia aircraft (including franchises).

Reward bookings and agency or industry discounted bookings are not eligible.
Yes though, as you say it has to be 4 eligible flights within each single membership year.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: BAEC
Evening all

I am looking to book the AMS-BKK fare, with the 'stopover' being a couple of weeks in KUL (then down to Denpasar).
Routing would be AMS-LHR-KUL // KUL-BKK // BKK-SIN-LHR
We would be diving, so will have baggage - which is what my query relates to.

I assume I can do a HBO back to back in AMS, then check the luggage in for the rest of the trip once back at Heathrow? (I would put it in left luggage). In fact, I can see from this (Very recent) thread - Stopover and luggage that is quite possible.
So, slightly different tangent to the question - I assume it is not possible to check the bags in until I have flown the AMS-LHR leg? It would be mega if I could check them for LHR-KUL, then go and do my B2B.

One more question, while I have your attention Would you route back via SIN, or via HKG? Or even back via KUL? Lounges and ease of transit etc. being the consideration (not F lounge though as neither of us are GCH)

I know it is heresy, but I'm not overly fussed about maximising the TP on this, as I don't fly vast amounts, and as it will be near the end of my TP year, I see little benefit in pushing for Silver (Yes, I have sunk to a lowly bronze ). What I don't want to do is be stuck on BA10 again, it's not the nicest of aircraft, hence not coming back direct BKK-LHR. I'm looking at Dreamliner on the way out, and A380 on the way back, neither of which I have sampled in J .

Thanks in advance

Sean
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by londonsean69
Evening allI am looking to book the AMS-BKK fare, with the 'stopover' being a couple of weeks in KUL (then down to Denpasar).
Routing would be AMS-LHR-KUL // KUL-BKK // BKK-SIN-LHR
We would be diving, so will have baggage - which is what my query relates to.
Yes, you can fly LON-AMS-LON and then check your luggage in; no need to drag your fins and regs to the Netherlands and back. Note that you could use LGW or LCY, not just LHR, and you could book your AMS-LON leg for up to 24 hours before LHR-KUL. I've flown LCY-AMS-LCY on day one, then spent a night back in home in London, then taken my luggage to Heathrow on day two.

But no, you won't be able to check your luggage in for LHR-KUL until you've flown the first sector.

Regarding TPs and your airports in the far east; If you book this wisely, you could find a long haul sector with first class upgrade availability; throw some Avios at it (or pick some up in the current Ventre Prive or Groupon Ireland sales...), and spend those 12 hours in something better than a Club World dorm. There's a chance you'd accrue the TPs for the upgraded sector, which would be 210 each way for HKG or 240 for KUL or SIN, plus another 40 for each of your business class connections at either end, so an easy Silver even from zero.
londonsean69 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC
Thanks for that. I've not done a B2B before, but have started ex-Europe with Qatar.
As for the CW dorm once asleep I don't care, but we have a small stash of Avios (175k between us - with a 2-4-1 about to expire, and another already in the account!), so may look at using them if upgrade availability is there (I have ExpertFlyer, so can set an alert.

Lots to fiddle with, thank you

Last edited by londonsean69; Jun 14, 2018 at 11:56 am
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by armouredant
But no, you won't be able to check your luggage in for LHR-KUL until you've flown the first .
Things may have changed, but you did used to be able to do that. I have dropped my bags at the First Class check in for what was the 2nd sector of my flight and then done a B2B to effectively start the first sector of that ticket. Perhaps this was pre Fly being introduced? Ive not done it recently to know the current rules.
armouredant and londonsean69 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:58 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Airlineanorak

Things may have changed, but you did used to be able to do that. I have dropped my bags at the First Class check in for what was the 2nd sector of my flight and then done a B2B to effectively start the first sector of that ticket. Perhaps this was pre Fly being introduced? Ive not done it recently to know the current rules.
I did similar in April. Dropped a bag at F check in at T5 for a domestic to MAN before heading off for a B2B to OTP. Was no issue with doing this even at 8am for an 8pm flight. Only problem was they never actually managed to get the bag on the flight to MAN despite how long it was at LHR for.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks to all the knowledge and advice on here, I've just booked LHR-MAD-PMI return, including the A340 lie flat on the return, for 277. These 120 tier points will keep me in 'Gold' for another year.

I haven't been to Majorca since I was 13!

Thanks all!
Old Jun 15, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: BA gold, Hilton Diamond
Trying to book below tp run to PHX, but have some issues when trying to book. would prefer to pay in EUR to avoid currency conversion charges, but cannot get aa.com to quote below in EUR, USD only, When trying to pay in USD, I have to enter my country of residence (Netherlands) at which point the transaction is cancelled.
Any advise on how to book (in EUR) will be highly appreciated.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by stijnec
Trying to book below tp run to PHX, but have some issues when trying to book. would prefer to pay in EUR to avoid currency conversion charges, but cannot get aa.com to quote below in EUR, USD only, When trying to pay in USD, I have to enter my country of residence (Netherlands) at which point the transaction is cancelled.
Any advise on how to book (in EUR) will be highly appreciated.
Raise the reservation in USD using the AA.com (US) link in PowerTools, then call up to make payment.
stijnec likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by armouredant
Raise the reservation in USD using the AA.com (US) link in PowerTools, then call up to make payment.
Note for others wanting to do the same in future: this only works when the full itinerary is all on AA flight numbers.

In this case, of course, it works. However, the hold function only works when everything is on AA numbers.
stijnec, LondonAndy, KARFA and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
I swear I've seen a post to this effect earlier, but can't locate it anymore... Is KUL-PEN-KUL doable as back-to-back?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by wmaciej
I swear I've seen a post to this effect earlier, but can't locate it anymore... Is KUL-PEN-KUL doable as back-to-back?
yes its doable
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by madfish

I did similar in April. Dropped a bag at F check in at T5 for a domestic to MAN before heading off for a B2B to OTP. Was no issue with doing this even at 8am for an 8pm flight. Only problem was they never actually managed to get the bag on the flight to MAN despite how long it was at LHR for.
I did this about 18 months ago for a SYD trip - Dropped my bags at T5 in the morning for the LHR-SIN flight, and off I went on my SVG B2B.

Despite even checking at the gate that my bags had been loaded when I was waiting for my LHR-SIN later that evening, they didn't show up in SYD until 4 days later.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by wmaciej
Totally doable - very similar to AMS in that you disembark directly into the gate area.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.