Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX 1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - 1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - 1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under 3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep 1.48/TP 650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep 1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open 1.94/TP 700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan 1.58/TP 883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb 1.44/TP 575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb 1.53/TP 860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar 1.22/TP 687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr 0.87/TP 314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr 1.19/TP 335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr 1.28/TP 335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr 2.00/TP 320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under 300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under 500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for 520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Old May 31, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
About to pull the trigger on OTP-PHX

Hi all, got this all ready to book. Just wanted to sense check one thing. I have a 43m domestic connection on the way back in LAX. Is this likely to cause any problems? If I do miss it, my next flight out of JFK isn't until 17:40 the next day so don't think it's the end of the world - if it was the last flight out would AA have a duty of care to give me a hotel overnight in LAX or is that just an EU thing? Excited to be doing my first TP run, and will get me gold in my first year of being totally obsessed by all of this stuff.
Old May 31, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Ajm1987
Hi all, got this all ready to book. Just wanted to sense check one thing. I have a 43m domestic connection on the way back in LAX. Is this likely to cause any problems? If I do miss it, my next flight out of JFK isn't until 17:40 the next day so don't think it's the end of the world - if it was the last flight out would AA have a duty of care to give me a hotel overnight in LAX or is that just an EU thing? Excited to be doing my first TP run, and will get me gold in my first year of being totally obsessed by all of this stuff.

can you share your planned agenda?
Old May 31, 2018, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by dannyboy78
can you share your planned agenda?
EDITED: pasted wrong itinerary! Sure. Any other suggestions/info more than welcome. This is my first beer...

Last edited by Ajm1987; May 31, 2018 at 7:24 am
Old May 31, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Is anyone doing this over Christmas, by the way? I'm doing PHX in WTP from DUB for 575, which is in TP run territory (just) at 2.88/TP.
Old May 31, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Hey All,
I wonder if I could pick some knowledge on this. I am currently sat on 790 Tier Points. I am off to SFO on Sunday in W Return. This will leave me on (if I calculate it right) 970 Points.
Now, is there any Tier Point runs available, July or First half of August which will get me over the line for Gold? My Tier point year ends 8th August, but can extend for two weeks if needed.
I fly out of LHR also.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by samwilliams88
Hey All,
I wonder if I could pick some knowledge on this. I am currently sat on 790 Tier Points. I am off to SFO on Sunday in W Return. This will leave me on (if I calculate it right) 970 Points.
Now, is there any Tier Point runs available, July or First half of August which will get me over the line for Gold? My Tier point year ends 8th August, but can extend for two weeks if needed.
I fly out of LHR also.
OTP-PHX seems tailor made for you. OTP-LHR-PHX would get you over the line as long as you split the journey on the east coast at least once.

If you're feeling brave (they're known for being difficult to post) LHR-AMM-BKK is about 1,500 during the summer on RJ. That would get you 560 and there are no positioning flights.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Cymro
OTP-PHX seems tailor made for you. OTP-LHR-PHX would get you over the line as long as you split the journey on the east coast at least once.

If you're feeling brave (they're known for being difficult to post) LHR-AMM-BKK is about 1,500 during the summer on RJ. That would get you 560 and there are no positioning flights.
Thanks for the suggestion, any recommendation where to split it on the east coast, I am guessing JFK but that may be painful with their immigration and customs?
dont fancy paying 1500 and them not posting in time etc
Old May 31, 2018, 9:41 am

Thanks for the suggestion, any recommendation where to split it on the east coast, I am guessing JFK but that may be painful with their immigration and customs?
It (mostly) doesn't matter when they post - they'll still be credited to the year when you fly.

I'd recommend PHL as being relatively easy to change and good timings to PHX, although I had a bad experience with immigration there a few years ago (just very slow). JFK is not too bad, actually but if on BA metal you will need to do a landside terminal transfer.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
EDITED: pasted wrong itinerary! Sure. Any other suggestions/info more than welcome. This is my first beer...

Is there a later LAX/JFK that day? I know there are some nearer midnight on some days of the week. Alternatively look for an earlier PHX/LAX. On your return are you planning for a day in HEL?
Old May 31, 2018, 10:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

In theory OTP/LHR/JFK/PHX return earns 720TPs return. You could even do that one way and a direct PHX/LHR on the return.

Or do OTP/LHR/JFK/LAX/PHX for 800TPs return. You could even drop the final sector and save on the positioning flight home and still earn 720TPs.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by madfish
Is there a later LAX/JFK that day? I know there are some nearer midnight on some days of the week. Alternatively look for an earlier PHX/LAX. On your return are you planning for a day in HEL?

Am I wrong to think that a missed connection in LAX, with no other flights to JFK same day, should means an overnight in LAX and being rebooked on one of the first two LAX-JFK the next morning?
What's the worst case scenario?
Old May 31, 2018, 10:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I would expect you to be rebooked and hopefully there would be room, but the morning flights might be more popular giving the time difference. Although AA do a lot of standby upgrades at the gate.

Not sure about accommodation. I would like to think so but don’t expect AA are as generous in this regard than EU airlines.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by madfish

There appears to be an indirect one via Boston leaving at 23:55, so not great but not the end of the world either. And yes, I'm planning a day with a friend who just moved to Helsinki; soon to be new best friend...

Should I be worried about the connection time at LAX on the outbound? Apparently the American Eagle flights leave from a different terminal so that could be challenging. I think if AA are guaranteed to rebook me on some service I don't mind the risk, but if it's deemed my fault and then the whole TP run goes in the bin, that would hurt!

If that's all fine, then I think this itinerary might on the whole be better. It works out slightly cheaper and gets the A350 AY flight in there.

Old May 31, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver
I did the exact same connection a couple of months ago and had no trouble whatsoever. In fact I was even able to very quickly visit the flagship lounge at LAX!!
Old May 31, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
If I wanted to do the OTP-PHX run, with the return to OTP some 6-7 months later, does the fare class allow that ? (I have dual citizenship).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.