Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Does anyone know of a better way to get to HKG (well, SZX actually but flights are few and far between with Oneworld) than CDG-HEL-BKK with AY for £1350 and then a £300 return on RJ BKK-HKG?

Dates are Mid May, so most AP fares aren't available.
Don't forget QR fly into CAN also for 560 TPs (but if TPs/£ is the main objective rather than ease of journey it probably can't quite beat the above on price).
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Just finalising an ex-AMS run and have a quick Q re luggage. Do I need to check in all luggage for the trip at AMS or will I be able to check further luggage in at LHR? (I have a long layover which would allow me to return home between flights). If this isn't possible, presumably it would work if I flew AMS-LGW then out of LHR as all luggage would be restored to me at LGW in any case?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
You can check further luggage in at LHR and can only get luggage back out at London if the layover is greater than 24 hours or from connection is from a different airport like you mention.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
ok simple question, probably just me being silly here, but how can I see what booking class a ticket is booking into? no Problem on the old site, but having issues on the new one!

specifically I'm trying to see how many tp I get on a PE ticket with a domestic US AA segment. LAS-JFK, both as a standalone booking, and one with a car.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Help to PTY

Hi all, need some help and guidance on LAX-PTY-LAX. Have tried to get 16 sectors but I can only manage 12 before the price goes into the thousands. Basically I need to be in PHX from May17th to May 26th. I can fly LHR to LAX, go to PTY and return to LAX, position to PHX on May 17th. The alternative is to fly into PHX, work until 26th and then begin my TP run to PTY. Out of the two options I would prefer to do the run before May 17th.
Can someone please help to maximise the TP run to PTY?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Don't forget QR fly into CAN also for 560 TPs (but if TPs/£ is the main objective rather than ease of journey it probably can't quite beat the above on price).
But don't forget that getting around in China can be a hassle... slow, crowded... cheap though.
I'd still consider flying into HKG and taking the ferry a better option.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by AlphaXray
Hi all, need some help and guidance on LAX-PTY-LAX. Have tried to get 16 sectors but I can only manage 12 before the price goes into the thousands. Basically I need to be in PHX from May17th to May 26th. I can fly LHR to LAX, go to PTY and return to LAX, position to PHX on May 17th. The alternative is to fly into PHX, work until 26th and then begin my TP run to PTY. Out of the two options I would prefer to do the run before May 17th.
Did you take a look at these posts?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29343459-post858.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29484391-post1325.html

These should give you plenty of guidance on how to find different routings. I've not checked your specific dates, but since we are not that far away from early May, you may be struggling to find cheap I class availability on some sectors, hence pushing the price up considerably.

Happy to help further if you share what you have found already
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Did you take a look at these posts?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29343459-post858.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29484391-post1325.html

These should give you plenty of guidance on how to find different routings. I've not checked your specific dates, but since we are not that far away from early May, you may be struggling to find cheap I class availability on some sectors, hence pushing the price up considerably.

Happy to help further if you share what you have found already
Thanks ROSSMACD, I looked at the two posts mentioned above. I found a 13 sector seen below. I’m currently in BRU waiting for BA395, so may be a little while before I can respond to anything you may suggest. Thanks.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by jdtravels
But don't forget that getting around in China can be a hassle... slow, crowded... cheap though.
I'd still consider flying into HKG and taking the ferry a better option.
After some playing it looks like I can do CDG-HEL-CAN on AY for £1300 return, which is a very good price. Short of QR releasing something tasty to HKG in the next day I'll be booking with AY.

Getting around China can be tricky, but CAN is linked by the new high speed rail link.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by moonunit
Anyone got any tips for a return TP run from YUL 27/28/29th April?

Got a few days off there and depending on where my work takes me in the next few months I either need to get 355 or 155 TPs by the end of my year. Should know soon how many I will need to get but trying to look at options now...

Cheers!
anyone got any ideas on this? It’s looking like I will need 355 sadly!
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: BA gold, OWE
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
CDG-HEL-CAN on AY for £1300 return
AGP-HEL-CAN return nets 560TP for £1370.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by temppa
AGP-HEL-CAN return nets 560TP for £1370.
It does, but the timings are vile on the AGP-HEL flight. If I needed the 200TPs I'd do it, but as I've already retained GGL for this year there's no reason to put myself through it. 200TPs for a 4hr30 flight that takes off at 1.30am in a short haul seat just doesn't do it for me.

Though I realise that's not in keeping with the mantra of this thread!
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:27 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Are there any Trip Reports for the LAX-PTY routing?

If not, I'll try and write one up when I do mine in June - 25 sectors in 5 days from ARN-PTY (the very long way)!

M
Blue Skye, kosy91 and MrPrice16 like this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: QF, BA
Originally Posted by AlphaXray
Had a quick look for your dates, could get a 15 segment
12/05 LAX SAN PHX PHL RDU CLT TPA MIA PTY
14/05 PTY MIA TPA CLT RDU PHL PHX LAX
751 gbp

Suspect no I availability on PHX-SAN/LAS
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Are there any Trip Reports for the LAX-PTY routing?

If not, I'll try and write one up when I do mine in June - 25 sectors in 5 days from ARN-PTY (the very long way)!

M
I’ve not come across one. Would be interested to read. Although with 25 flights I suspect you will spend most of your time writing it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.