Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX Ł1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - Ł1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - Ł1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under Ł3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep Ł1.48/TP Ł650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep Ł1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open Ł1.94/TP Ł700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan Ł1.58/TP Ł883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb Ł1.44/TP Ł575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb Ł1.53/TP Ł860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar Ł1.22/TP Ł687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr Ł0.87/TP Ł314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr Ł1.19/TP Ł335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr Ł1.28/TP Ł335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr Ł2.00/TP Ł320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under Ł300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under Ł500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for Ł520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by Marrdave
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but would i put the HEL/JFK/LAX into the advanced controls?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by Marrdave
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but would i put the HEL/JFK/LAX into the advanced controls?
Try:

Departing From: CAI
Routing Code: LHR HEL JFK LAX
Extension: alliance oneworld

Destination: HNL
Routing Code: LAX JFK HEL LHR
Extension: alliance oneworld

EDIT: cgtechuk beat me to it!

cgtechuk likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by srcga
I would, if I can figure out Matrix. It's significantly more expensive to start in PHL with the same exact legs as yours, for some odd reason. The one part I haven't figured out yet is determining the proper routing to get the best cost.

Also tried same exact itinerary as you, just stopping in PHL on the way home.. that was ~$1800.
)
I think that to get the cheap price, you have to have your itinerary start in LAX and stop in PTY.
You could do some sort of LAX - PTY with fewer stops. Let me do a quick search, and will post back.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:56 am

Hi srcga,

I got a similar itinerary for a little more.
Matrix parameters:
LAX - PTY roundtrip. 31 March - 2 April
Outbound fields: AA LAS PHX PHL RDU CLT JAX MIA
Inbound fields: AA MIA PHL

With this itinerary, you can get off at PHL on your way back and not take the last flight. It should be like 500 TP. You would just need a flight to get from PHL to LAX on any airline.

EVERYONE: you would still get your TP even if you don't board the last flight, right? Srcga, I am not 100% sure of this since I haven't tried this in a while.

Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by l31g
EVERYONE: you would still get your TP even if you don't board the last flight, right? Srcga, I am not 100% sure of this since I haven't tried this in a while.
No, you must physically fly the flight to get the TP credit for that flight. There may be cases in major IRROPs where you can claim Original Routing Credit (ORC) but this is very unlikely when it comes down to the flight on the day.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
No, you must physically fly the flight to get the TP credit for that flight. There may be cases in major IRROPs where you can claim Original Routing Credit (ORC) but this is very unlikely when it comes down to the flight on the day.
I meant you still get TPs for the flights flown except that last one he wouldn't fly, right?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:05 am

I meant you still get TPs for the flights flown except that last one he wouldn't fly, right?
Yes, you get the TPs for every flight you actually fly.
l31g likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by all ahead full
Going out to Dubai on 22nd April, and although the sensible option would be to start in LHR and go straight to Dubai (or AUH for that matter) I am wondering if anyone has any suitable routing to gain some TP's. My initial thought was around using Qatar, but with the continuing ban on flights to UAE from there, that rules that out.
Budget around Ł1k, which is what WTP in BA costs direct from LHR, happy to start anywhere in Europe.
I did look at something simple like starting in INV, to add a few points, for actually less money, but do need to stick to One World.
Many thanks,
AAF
Following on from this, after much searching using ITAMatrix, the best I can come up with in Club is as follows, Starting in Milan, Ł1,215, itinerary below.
Can anyone do any better?

Many thanks,

ITINERARY

Milan (LIN) to Dubai (DXB) - Sat, Apr 21

British Airways 569 Dep: 7:10PM Arr: 8:10PM 2h Airbus A319 Business (J)
Layover in LHR 2h 15m
British Airways 105 Dep: 10:25PM Arr: 8:25AM 7h Boeing 777 Business (I)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dubai (DXB) to Milan (LIN) - Sat, Apr 28

British Airways 106 Dep: 1:30AM Arr: 6:15AM 7h 45m Boeing 777 Business (I)
Layover in LHR 13h 10m
British Airways 7309 Dep: 7:25PM Arr: 10:20PM 1h 55m Embraer RJ-190
Business (I)
OPERATED BY BA CITYFLYER

FARE AND BOOKING DETAILS

Provide this information to a travel agent to help them match the fares
found.
Make sure to provide the exact booking and fare codes shown.

Fare 1: Carrier BA INCEU28 MIL to DXB GBP439.13
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code J, I
Covers LIN-LHR (Business), LHR-DXB (Business)

Fare 2: Carrier BA INCEU28 DXB to MIL GBP439.13
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code I
Covers DXB-LHR (Business), STN-LIN (Business)

United Arab Emirates International Advanced Passenger Information Fee
Arrivals (ZR) GBP1.00
United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge Departures (UB) GBP45.45
BA YQ surcharge (YQ) GBP240.00
Italy Passenger Service Charge Departure (MJ) GBP1.20
Italy Council City Tax (HB) GBP5.80
Italy Security Charge (VT) GBP2.40
Italy Embarkation Tax (IT) GBP13.40
United Arab Emirates International Advanced Passenger Information Fee
Departures (ZR) GBP1.00
United Arab Emirates Passenger Facilities Charge (F6) GBP6.90
United Arab Emirates Passenger Security And Safety Fee (TP) GBP1.00
United Arab Emirates Passenger Service Charge International (AE) GBP14.80

Subtotal per passenger GBP1,210.95
Number of passengers x1

Total airfare & taxes GBP1,210.95
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:24 pm

Hi srcga,

I got a similar itinerary for a little more.
Matrix parameters:
LAX - PTY roundtrip. 31 March - 2 April
Outbound fields: AA LAS PHX PHL RDU CLT JAX MIA
Inbound fields: AA MIA PHL

With this itinerary, you can get off at PHL on your way back and not take the last flight. It should be like 500 TP. You would just need a flight to get from PHL to LAX on any airline.

Thanks much, really appreciate that.
The others are correct, have to actually take the flight to get the TP. Not a huge deal.
Let me see what I can arrange!

I'm trying to figure out how you guys know that the LAX -> PTY are the required parts I have reading to do !
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:54 pm

I'm trying to figure out how you guys know that the LAX -> PTY are the required parts I have reading to do !
I think it has to do with the fare rules. I am not a pro (yet) at that, so others might have better info.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:27 pm

I think it has to do with the fare rules. I am not a pro (yet) at that, so others might have better info.
Cool. Now I just have to figure out where I want my layovers to be! Considering I've already done Miami, it'll probably be Panama City.

Edit: Ended up booking this. Can't show an attachment yet or post a link as I am a newb, so, here are the codes:

AA LAS PHX PHL RDU CLT JAX MIA
Mar 31
Return: PTY
AA MIA TPA CLT PHL LAS
Apr 2

Last edited by srcga; Mar 13, 2018 at 4:49 pm
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:49 pm

Cool. Now I just have to figure out where I want my layovers to be! Considering I've already done Miami, it'll probably be Panama City.

Edit: Ended up booking this. Can't show an attachment yet or post a link as I am a newb, so, here are the codes:

AA LAS PHX PHL RDU CLT JAX MIA
Mar 31
Return: PTY
AA MIA TPA CLT PHL LAS
Apr 2
Nice!
We’re probably flying the same flights.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
HI All,
I have a quick request, after achieving Bronze with my new job (we travel in WTP thankfully), I am 260 tier points away from Silver. Now I am 99% sure I am going to Chennai in the next few weeks again in WTP which will get me 180 tier points. Leaving me 80 tier points short. I am looking for a cheap back to back or overnight to get these tier points. Any good deals going for this little amount, or what would you do in my shoes? MY card year ends 8th August.
Thanks in Advanced
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by samwilliams88
HI All,
I have a quick request, after achieving Bronze with my new job (we travel in WTP thankfully), I am 260 tier points away from Silver. Now I am 99% sure I am going to Chennai in the next few weeks again in WTP which will get me 180 tier points. Leaving me 80 tier points short. I am looking for a cheap back to back or overnight to get these tier points. Any good deals going for this little amount, or what would you do in my shoes? MY card year ends 8th August.
Thanks in Advanced
You have plenty of time. Domestics in CE can be had for subŁ200 and you can do these without needing to stay a Saturday night. Often cheaper from LGW than LHR.

Personally I would look at options from T3 such as LUX. Especially if you can get the later flight to enjoy the lounges there.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by samwilliams88
HI All,
Thanks in Advanced
Given you appear to be London based, I would suggest looking at the following routes in CE for 80TP's on a round trip journey.

LHR > LUX
LGW > BOD
LGW > JER
LHR/LGW/LCY > AMS
LHR/LCY > DUB

You have plenty of time, so pick a Saturday night stay to bring the price down or try 2 x one-way's if you have to do a one day trip.

Pilot37

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.