Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club, BA GGL CCR, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by joequimby
You're better off asking your query here:
The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

I'll have a go though. My interpretation is that your LHR-MAD was delayed, causing you to miss MAD-BIO. You were re-booked on the next MAD-BIO but arrived 4 hours after initially scheduled.

My understanding is that it's final destination timing that matters and being intra-EU, the delay needs to be >3 hours and within BA's control (sounds like it is).

I'd say give it a crack, but you're better off asking over in the compo thread.
thanks ill ask in the suggested thread.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, hh Diamond, IHG spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by n4ynx
Hey All,
Had a question, so currently on a small TP run lhr-mad-bio return long haul planes on the lhr sectors. Due to the first flight being BA and the captain saying the cargo crew loaded the bay incorrectly we were delayed which had a knock on effect to my connecting flight. my question is ive had to re-book my transfer at a small cost (30 euro) but would i be entitled to anything if i called up BA and complained. as the re-booking gets me to Bilbao 4hours later then planned. oh and the connection time in Madrid was meant to be hour an hour.

Make me worried about my lax-pty run too now.

Thanks in advance. sorry for grammar and spelling.
in business?
i was on the mad-lhr flight yesterday, impressive seat in business and service.
im trying to find some answers on the gold priority upgrades and can’t seem to find the answers I need. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great, alternatively as there are a lot of golds here someone maybe able to help.
im thinking of doing some TP runs to get gold primarily so I can get extra avios availability to Spain for RFS flights for 2 years if timed well and my year coincides with the week in November to Honolulu.
as a gold am I able to get seats using double avios just for the gold member or members of my hha as well? Also,I’ve read more seats are released to golds anyway, perhaps someone with experience couid let me know.
sorry if there is another thread that would cover this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by n4ynx
Hey All,
Had a question, so currently on a small TP run lhr-mad-bio return long haul planes on the lhr sectors. Due to the first flight being BA and the captain saying the cargo crew loaded the bay incorrectly we were delayed which had a knock on effect to my connecting flight. my question is ive had to re-book my transfer at a small cost (30 euro) but would i be entitled to anything if i called up BA and complained. as the re-booking gets me to Bilbao 4hours later then planned. oh and the connection time in Madrid was meant to be hour an hour.

Make me worried about my lax-pty run too now.

Thanks in advance. sorry for grammar and spelling.
I was on this too I think, Friday’s BA0460? The flight was late to begin with, 13:25 was switched on the departure boards to 13:45 I think. Then the captain came on the PA about the cargo issue. Shouldn’t BA just have rebooked you, or as this separate tickets?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club, BA GGL CCR, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dougzz

I was on this too I think, Friday’s BA0460? The flight was late to begin with, 13:25 was switched on the departure boards to 13:45 I think. Then the captain came on the PA about the cargo issue. Shouldn’t BA just have rebooked you, or as this separate tickets?
yes in business and yep that was the flight. Well it was all the same ticket with connecting on iberia but when it changed to 13:45 i asked in galleries and they said i could still make it obviously not knowing about the cargo issue that was going to happen.
reading the other forum im going to claim with BA as its the final destination arrival time that also counts. Lets see what happens would be nice to get something back for the lost transfer but it was mainly a tp run so lets see.

on my way back trying out the long haul iberia plane from madrid to london.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: BA GGL
Are there any good TP-runnable J ex-EU fares to Central or South America at the moment? I'm looking to travel in Oct/Nov, and there used to be a decent IB fare ex-BRU but it appears to have gone now.

The best I can see are AMS-LHR-GIG return or DUB-US-MX/LIM-MAD-AMS both for ~£1,600. Am I missing something better?
nufnuf77 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by armouredant
Are there any good TP-runnable J ex-EU fares to Central or South America at the moment? I'm looking to travel in Oct/Nov, and there used to be a decent IB fare ex-BRU but it appears to have gone now.

The best I can see are AMS-LHR-GIG return or DUB-US-MX/LIM-MAD-AMS both for ~£1,600. Am I missing something better?
I think those are the lowest I have seen in the past 12 months. There used to be good ex ARN/OSL fares in £1200 region, but haven't seen those resurface recently.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by armouredant

If you are prepared to position to Cairo then there is an AA Cairo to Rio fare that comes in at about £1400 including taxes and surcharges. It books into I and will harvest a minimum of 840 tier points.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by PO48RA
If you are prepared to position to Cairo then there is an AA Cairo to Rio fare that comes in at about £1400 including taxes and surcharges. It books into I and will harvest a minimum of 840 tier points.
CAI - LHR - GIG/GRU is only 280Tps each direction unless you are doing a different routing? The cheaper seats are on Latam rather than BA and not all of them have lie flat some are still angled with far less avios awarded on latam also
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
cai - lhr - gig/gru is only 280tps each direction unless you are doing a different routing? The cheaper seats are on latam rather than ba and not all of them have lie flat some are still angled with far less avios awarded on latam also
On an AA fare: CAI - LHR - USA - RIO

6 x 140 TPs minimum.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by Airprox
On an AA fare: CAI - LHR - USA - RIO

6 x 140 TPs minimum.
Must have a POS issue at my end as I cant find anything even close to that price £2200 is the cheapest I can see, tried NYC, MIA,, DFW as the connection points and got nothing,
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

CAI - LHR - GIG/GRU is only 280Tps each direction unless you are doing a different routing? The cheaper seats are on Latam rather than BA and not all of them have lie flat some are still angled with far less avios awarded on latam also
this aa fare requires a routing so at very least cai Lhr mia gig at 420tp each way, with potentially to go upwards of 1000 for a return.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Must have a POS issue at my end as I cant find anything even close to that price £2200 is the cheapest I can see, tried NYC, MIA,, DFW as the connection points and got nothing,
try pos London on ita, it works, base fare of £600 odd
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77

try pos London on ita, it works, base fare of £600 odd
Ahh yes POS sorted it, now need to find out how to make it more than 1000tp's those flight times haha 56hrs
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Ahh yes POS sorted it, now need to find out how to make it more than 1000tp's those flight times haha 56hrs
you’ll struggle because of MPM constraint you wont be able to route via West coast unfortunately.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:46 am

To be fair I don't even need the points was more just for fun
nufnuf77 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.