Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX Ł1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - Ł1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - Ł1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under Ł3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep Ł1.48/TP Ł650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep Ł1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open Ł1.94/TP Ł700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan Ł1.58/TP Ł883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb Ł1.44/TP Ł575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb Ł1.53/TP Ł860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar Ł1.22/TP Ł687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr Ł0.87/TP Ł314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr Ł1.19/TP Ł335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr Ł1.28/TP Ł335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr Ł2.00/TP Ł320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under Ł300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under Ł500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for Ł520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by all ahead full
Going out to Dubai on 22nd April, and although the sensible option would be to start in LHR and go straight to Dubai (or AUH for that matter) I am wondering if anyone has any suitable routing to gain some TP's. My initial thought was around using Qatar, but with the continuing ban on flights to UAE from there, that rules that out.
Budget around Ł1k, which is what WTP in BA costs direct from LHR, happy to start anywhere in Europe.
I did look at something simple like starting in INV, to add a few points, for actually less money, but do need to stick to One World.
Many thanks,
AAF
Did find : 21-28APR INV-DXB-INV WT+ Ł590.00 BA Direct website.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I will emphasise that this is not guaranteed to happen. Certainly if there's any issue with posting, or IrrOps occur, and a subsequent retroclaim is necessary, the chances of a happy outcome diminish even further. The OP also suggests using a Joker, which would pretty much guarantee it wouldn't given that would have to go through BA direct!

If anyone is basing a qualification decision on getting those points, it's a risky strategy.
I was basing my thinking on my recent trip which was MCO-MIA(J/K)-LHR(J/U)-BKK(J/U)-LHR/LGW(J/U)-MCO(J/U) which was booked in WTP direct with BA and used a GUF & Joker to CW. I received 570 TP.

Did I get lucky ?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by BritBoyInFL
I was basing my thinking on my recent trip which was MCO-MIA(J/K)-LHR(J/U)-BKK(J/U)-LHR/LGW(J/U)-MCO(J/U) which was booked in WTP direct with BA and used a GUF & Joker to CW. I received 570 TP.

Did I get lucky ?
Yes
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
If you're basing your return to Gold on CW TPs, this will not happen - unless there's an IT snafu in your favour, you will be credited for the cabin you paid for, not the one your upgrade put you in.

Does this mean your plan needs refinement?
Looks like I got lucky with my CW credit for MIA-LHR-BKK-LHR/LGW-MCO booked in WTP using a GUF & Joker. As I now know I shouldn't rely on this happening, you are correct, my plan will need refinement. Perhaps an LAX-PTY (or two) will have to do the job !
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Platinum
Hi all,
How long after I buy my AA LAX-PTY ticket does it show up on my BA profile?
I just want to make sure my TP run counts!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by l31g
Hi all,
How long after I buy my AA LAX-PTY ticket does it show up on my BA profile?
I just want to make sure my TP run counts!
if there’s no BA codeshares or metal on there, it won’t. Only the TPs and Avios will post after
l31g likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hi, could someone give me some guidance on booking the LAX-PTY run?? Had a quick try using itamatrix but miserably failed!

thanks.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: QF, BA
Originally Posted by Trent900Powered
Hi, could someone give me some guidance on booking the LAX-PTY run?? Had a quick try using itamatrix but miserably failed!

thanks.
What dates are you looking at?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond

thanks.
Use Google Flights and piece together an itinerary with whatever multi-stop options pop up as options. In general you want leg one to be LAX-Northeast USA (PHL, NYC, etc.), leg 2 to be from there to PTY, and similar in reverse. Once you have a basic itinerary for your dates, you can use Matrix to try and make it even more complicated...

The most important thing is guaranteeing a 2000+ mile flight in each direction. So careful with PHX and avoid DFW...
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by joequimby
What dates are you looking at?
Thanks for the advice so far....

Joequimby: I was was actually looking for the 14/15 March, failing that, any date from May.... cheers

Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Platinum

Thanks for the advice so far....

Joequimby: I was was actually looking for the 14/15 March, failing that, any date from May.... cheers

I like GE90-115Bs better... lol
Are you looking to take off March 14/15 and come back a couple of days after?

Cheers
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by l31g
I like GE90-115Bs better... lol
Are you looking to take off March 14/15 and come back a couple of days after?

Cheers
😂
Yup exactly that... Returning asap! Thanks again for the direction!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club, BA GGL CCR, Amex Plat
Hey All,
Had a question, so currently on a small TP run lhr-mad-bio return long haul planes on the lhr sectors. Due to the first flight being BA and the captain saying the cargo crew loaded the bay incorrectly we were delayed which had a knock on effect to my connecting flight. my question is ive had to re-book my transfer at a small cost (30 euro) but would i be entitled to anything if i called up BA and complained. as the re-booking gets me to Bilbao 4hours later then planned. oh and the connection time in Madrid was meant to be hour an hour.

Make me worried about my lax-pty run too now.

Thanks in advance. sorry for grammar and spelling.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by n4ynx
Hey All,
Had a question, so currently on a small TP run lhr-mad-bio return long haul planes on the lhr sectors. Due to the first flight being BA and the captain saying the cargo crew loaded the bay incorrectly we were delayed which had a knock on effect to my connecting flight. my question is ive had to re-book my transfer at a small cost (30 euro) but would i be entitled to anything if i called up BA and complained. as the re-booking gets me to Bilbao 4hours later then planned. oh and the connection time in Madrid was meant to be hour an hour.

bit confused about why you rebooked at a cost - was this on separate tickets? If same ticket EU261 should apply. If you mean a car transfer at BIO the €250 compensation should cover

(I had a misconnect on LON-MAD-BCN r/t 2 years ago and was looked after, though lost time in BCN)
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: QF, BA
Originally Posted by n4ynx
Hey All,

You're better off asking your query here:
The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

I'll have a go though. My interpretation is that your LHR-MAD was delayed, causing you to miss MAD-BIO. You were re-booked on the next MAD-BIO but arrived 4 hours after initially scheduled.

My understanding is that it's final destination timing that matters and being intra-EU, the delay needs to be >3 hours and within BA's control (sounds like it is).

I'd say give it a crack, but you're better off asking over in the compo thread.
n4ynx likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.