Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
This isn't really in keeping with the spirit of this thread, which exists only because of the incredible effort, generosity and patience shown by contributors to help others (and each other) get the best deals. If you know of a deal that offers £1/TP then please share it so everyone can benefit.
Sometimes it is not wise to openly share everything. That is how things can get pulled. But given that WTP was mentioned I am sure I could figure out fairly easily what nufnuf77 was referencing and how this could be £1/TP. Although not guaranteed.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
This isn't really in keeping with the spirit of this thread, which exists only because of the incredible effort, generosity and patience shown by contributors to help others (and each other) get the best deals. If you know of a deal that offers £1/TP then please share it so everyone can benefit.
it involves a level of tricking the system that would be inadvisable to disclose openly, but I am always available for a drink at CCr bar, I am usually the Dr sitting in 1K at the bar there today in Singapore CCB though, not sure where to sit (perplexed)
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by madfish
I am sure I could figure out fairly easily what nufnuf77 was referencing and how this could be £1/TP.
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
it involves a level of tricking the system that would be inadvisable to disclose openly, but I am always available for a drink at CCr bar, I am usually the Dr sitting in 1K at the bar there today in Singapore CCB though, not sure where to sit (perplexed)
Other threads exist for the smug "I know a great fare and I'm not telling you" sort of post. I'd like to think this thread is different.
Calchas likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Other threads exist for the smug "I know a great fare and I'm not telling you" sort of post. I'd like to think this thread is different.
nothing more to add, keep looking.
s1362083 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium
I am hoping someone can help me... I need to go to Fort Myers in early April and return from Cleveland mid-late April and have been trying to find a fare to maximise TP. The best I have found is about £1500 in Business with 2 stops out and 1 on the way back, and nothing in Premium with a TATL on BA (I have a GUF I could use). This might be the best I can find, but it also might be because I'm not very good with forcing extra/multiple segments on ITA Matrix. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction? I am price sensitive (I assume we all are!). Happy to go ex-EU or ex-INV. Don't need the internal leg at this point. Happy to go business or Premium Econ and GUF on any european/TATL legs (with the knowledge it's econ in the USA). No specific requirement on TP, just a good ratio TP/Price. If there is a particular routing etc you could suggest I'm happy to keep looking, but I don't seem to be getting very far on my own! Thank you in advance.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jh321
I am hoping someone can help me... I need to go to Fort Myers in early April and return from Cleveland mid-late April and have been trying to find a fare to maximise TP. The best I have found is about £1500 in Business with 2 stops out and 1 on the way back, and nothing in Premium with a TATL on BA (I have a GUF I could use). This might be the best I can find, but it also might be because I'm not very good with forcing extra/multiple segments on ITA Matrix. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction? I am price sensitive (I assume we all are!). Happy to go ex-EU or ex-INV. Don't need the internal leg at this point. Happy to go business or Premium Econ and GUF on any european/TATL legs (with the knowledge it's econ in the USA). No specific requirement on TP, just a good ratio TP/Price. If there is a particular routing etc you could suggest I'm happy to keep looking, but I don't seem to be getting very far on my own! Thank you in advance.
I would start by finding a TATL that you are happy with that will allow you to use your GUF. Once you have this then you can force matrix to search using the specific flight code. Once you have this you can then start to play around with origin and connections to your destination.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Because it’s not necessarily just about being a great fare. Besides which, I think you will find I have consistently tried to help others on this thread, contributing significantly on the F fare to PHX, as well as through PM to various posters. Therefore I resent your accusation of being ‘smug’. It is the wide publication of such things that get them pulled, especially when picked up by other sources. I’m sure if you sent nufnuf77 a PM he would have explained. However, not so sure now that you are throwing out accusations.
AdBoy, nufnuf77 and Gastrocnemius like this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by madfish
I would start by finding a TATL that you are happy with that will allow you to use your GUF. Once you have this then you can force matrix to search using the specific flight code. Once you have this you can then start to play around with origin and connections to your destination.
Hi Madfish... apologies I'm still only just 'graduating from Primary school' as it were re ITA so I might need a bit more help.... This seems like a good suggestion but as the flight to Fort Myers and back from Cleveland both have numerous entry points I'm a bit lost on how to start. I don't mind what entry point, it just needs to be BA if I'm going to GUF. Can you give me any other suggestions... is there another way to try and seach as any routing works for me and/or at the moment. If I can find a good price and GUF that is great, although I wonder if for TPs it's better to look for Club from the start? Sorry is this too open a query?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Hi Madfish... apologies I'm still only just 'graduating from Primary school' as it were re ITA so I might need a bit more help.... This seems like a good suggestion but as the flight to Fort Myers and back from Cleveland both have numerous entry points I'm a bit lost on how to start. I don't mind what entry point, it just needs to be BA if I'm going to GUF. Can you give me any other suggestions... is there another way to try and seach as any routing works for me.
Do you have the BA app? If so, you can search for avios availability by continent. This will allow you to get an idea of what might be available by area, cabin and month.

I would probably start by looking at getting into one of the bigger East Coast cities. Something like BOS/JFK or down to MIA.

Once you have this you can start looking a little bit closer. If you can find those first and give dates I or somebody else can maybe find you something based on that. Can probably also provide some screenshots of what you do on matrix.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
I am reminded of Fermat's Last Theorem: "I have discovered a truly marvelous proof of this, which this margin is too narrow to contain"

Ended up teasing mathematicians for 358 years
flyerkit and nufnuf77 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:28 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by rossmacd
It is available in May-July, just not using the flight numbers I posted. You would need to change the flight numbers/routing to make it work, but perfectly doable
There goes my afternoon of working! I'm sure theres a magical way you do it quickly, but I'll resort to a pad, pen, and AA website to see what flights are going when!

You're right - there are threads that exist for the smug. And, there's even a while forum for Tips & Tricks. Once you understand it, it's extremely advantageous. It isn't easy to just pick up, so requires a bit of personal effort.

But, smugness and not wanting to close an open avenue, are very different.

You've been given a few tips further above in terms of what to look for. Sure, it will require additional reading and understanding, but that's the way FT works.

12 months ago, for example, I couldn't use Matrix. I was reliant on others to tell me precisely what to do, and fortunately there were helpful guides and tips on FT. If I needed specific help, others would happily message me back but only for very specific questions.

Fast forward, and I can happily use the site myself for the basics. It took time, but it's worth it, and means I can contribute fares if and when I see them.

That, is what a community teaches you.

M
madfish and aidy like this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
There goes my afternoon of working! I'm sure theres a magical way you do it quickly, but I'll resort to a pad, pen, and AA website to see what flights are going when!
There is no real magic way of creating a routing, just a bit of time plugging through the options and selecting the most logical flights. AA's banking system does help to keep things a little more simple. Happy to help once you have an idea of what you want to do, and are fixed on dates.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:52 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by rossmacd
There is no real magic way of creating a routing, just a bit of time plugging through the options and selecting the most logical flights. AA's banking system does help to keep things a little more simple. Happy to help once you have an idea of what you want to do, and are fixed on dates.
Many thanks!

I'll have a play today, and let you know how I get on.

M
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hi Madfish... apologies I'm still only just 'graduating from Primary school' as it were re ITA so I might need a bit more help.... This seems like a good suggestion but as the flight to Fort Myers and back from Cleveland both have numerous entry points I'm a bit lost on how to start. I don't mind what entry point, it just needs to be BA if I'm going to GUF. Can you give me any other suggestions... is there another way to try and seach as any routing works for me and/or at the moment. If I can find a good price and GUF that is great, although I wonder if for TPs it's better to look for Club from the start? Sorry is this too open a query?
Any use? I'm not sure how a GUF works, and whether you could or would want to use it on the WT+ leg home. Putting Helsinki in the outbound for an extra 80TP adds about £132. Outbound as it stands would be 300TP, I'm not good with WT points but I think it's 20+90+20 for the way home.

Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Platinum
Hi all,
This is my first post in FT, and I'm pretty new to this. I've been skimming the thread and I think it's really interesting. I am based in Austin and I travel to London once or twice per year. I will have some free time in London all day Saturday May 5th - Tuesday May 8th, and I would love to use this time to do a 500+ TP run.

I have been learning the prices around that time exLondon, and I have been playing around with different itineraries. I want to only go through UK immigration once (they normally get sketchy when you enter the country multiple times in a short period of time), so I plan to take advantage of LHR's immigration-less connections.

Here's the current itinerary I have (I am writing since I am not allowed to post pictures since I am a new member):

London (LHR) to Manchester (MAN) — Fri, May 4 British Airways 1404 Business (I)
Manchester (MAN) to London (LHR) — Sat, May 5 British Airways 1389 Business (J)
London (LHR) to Bucharest (OTP) — Sat, May 5 British Airways 886 Business (R)
Bucharest (OTP) to London (LHR) — Sun, May 6 British Airways 885 Business (I)
London (LHR) to Amsterdam (AMS) — Sun, May 6 British Airways 434 Business (D)
Amsterdam (AMS) to London (LHR) — Mon, May 7 British Airways 423 Business (R)
London (LHR) to Istanbul (IST) — Mon, May 7 British Airways 676 Business
Istanbul (IST) to London (LHR) — Tue, May 8 British Airways 675 Business (I)
London (LHR) to Manchester (MAN) — Tue, May 8 British Airways 1388 Business (I)
Manchester (MAN) to London (LHR) — Tue, May 8British Airways 1399 Business (I)
£1,667.11
I calculated 560TPs, which is ~£ 2.98/TP.

Are there any specific routes I should look into that are valid during that time frame?

Thanks for all the stuff in the thread [=

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.