Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX 1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - 1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - 1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under 3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep 1.48/TP 650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep 1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open 1.94/TP 700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan 1.58/TP 883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb 1.44/TP 575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb 1.53/TP 860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar 1.22/TP 687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr 0.87/TP 314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr 1.19/TP 335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr 1.28/TP 335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr 2.00/TP 320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under 300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under 500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for 520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:46 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Smid
Not an expert myself, but there's usually a reason
Yes. The reason is...she feels like it!

Anyway, I will digress to prevent this turning into Mumsnet!

Originally Posted by thejohn
Don't worry in about thirteen years time you will be screaming at her at three in the morning.
John
Haha very very true!

M
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by nufnuf77

with AA everything is possible. Just find an interest that suits you and feed them the flight numbers, they will oblige.

Indeed they did, and hardly any waiting on the 'phone either. I've got myself back on the transcon, but from LAX. slightly less ideal flight times, but hey ho.

thank you to the other reassuring posters too
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
wonderman I did promise to donate 5000 Avios or equivalent to charity if you pulled off the double B2B @ CGK.

So, Congratulations Sir ! Do you wish to nominate one ?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
Indeed they did, and hardly any waiting on the 'phone either. I've got myself back on the transcon, but from LAX. slightly less ideal flight times, but hey ho.

thank you to the other reassuring posters too
Dont forget to update the wiki on the PHX do thread.
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by madfish

Dont forget to update the wiki on the PHX do thread.

Done
madfish likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:40 pm

May 22 CAD$2.95/TP 240 YUL-PHL-CLT-RDU-CLT-PHL-YUL I/I/I/D/D/D
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, CX MPC Gold, Avis preferred plus, MyWaitrose card
Not sure if it qualifies at a TP 'run' as such, but just paid ~850 for HKG-CMB-MEL return in J/I over Christmas with UL (1.51/tp)..... much cheaper for the family holiday than last year's HKG-SIN-SYD-PER-SYD-SIN-HKG!!!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold (Oh yeah!)
Firstly apologies, its one of those questions that gets asked a 1,000 times, but my head is fried trying to work it out.
I've just discovered I need to be back in California (LAX) next week, this despite the fact that I'm already here working, so will fly home (UK) Thursday and then need to fly back (Tues 27 and return to the UK, Fri 2 or Sat 3). I'm currently on 1,050 TPs with my year running out in April (this is my first year of flying for work, so would be nice to make gold if I can).
Is there an easy (<2k) way to pick up the 450 points needed,

Any help greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by adieacc
Firstly apologies, its one of those questions that gets asked a 1,000 times, but my head is fried trying to work it out.
I've just discovered I need to be back in California (LAX) next week, this despite the fact that I'm already here working, so will fly home (UK) Thursday and then need to fly back (Tues 27 and return to the UK, Fri 2 or Sat 3). I'm currently on 1,050 TPs with my year running out in April (this is my first year of flying for work, so would be nice to make gold if I can).

Without looking at prices, I would suggest you look at splitting your return. If you do LHR/JFK/LAX in J then this would be 4x140TPs for the return. At this short notice I doubt it will be sub 2k. Therefore you may want to try some ex-EU options, eg DUB/AMS or perhaps INV which has had some good fares of late. The real problem you face is how close in to booking you are.

Edit. Just looked and you are around 4K return in J. Even giving you a Saturday night away doesn’t bring the cost down much. Other option would be to look at BA holidays and adding a hotel or car hire. This can have a really positive benefit on the price.

Last edited by madfish; Feb 20, 2018 at 11:16 pm
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold

here is an example, right on the mark at 2074 GBP.
Tt should allow you to b2b at OSL to save you having to overnight on Monday 26th.
You would get 640 TPs to boot.
Happpy flying!
​​​​​​​
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:36 pm

That looks perfect, one quick question,

what does 'Tt' mean when referring to Oslo, I understand B2B, but not Tt (sorry, I'm a bit of a novice)
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:47 pm

I would say Tt = it.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:55 pm

Thanks Flashware, It makes sense, If there was an embarrassed smilie/emoji I'd be using it.
flashware likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Thanks Flashware, It makes sense, If there was an embarrassed smilie/emoji I'd be using it.
LOL. I should be more embarrassed to drop in a typo like that.
Mobile edition leaves part of the screen invisible. Didnt even notice.
Let us know if you can get that ticketed.
Cheers
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:18 am

I can't seem to get it to ticket on BA (although this is likely to be my sleep deprived brain), it keeps failing due to 120mins connection time.
Just tried AA and it won't even start to ticket.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.