Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX Ł1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - Ł1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - Ł1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under Ł3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep Ł1.48/TP Ł650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep Ł1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open Ł1.94/TP Ł700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan Ł1.58/TP Ł883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb Ł1.44/TP Ł575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb Ł1.53/TP Ł860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar Ł1.22/TP Ł687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr Ł0.87/TP Ł314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr Ł1.19/TP Ł335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr Ł1.28/TP Ł335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr Ł2.00/TP Ł320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under Ł300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under Ł500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for Ł520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Firemin
Thanks. I can't seem to get them to price properly on Google flights, so I guess I need to find them on Matrix.

Considering a nested run of:

CGK-CMB-DOH (Ticket 1 o/b)
DOH-CMB-HKG/CAN-CMB-DOH (ticket 2)
DOH-CMB-CGK/HKG (ticket 1 i/b)

Which should net me either 1120 tps, or 1160 if I can get HKG-CAN to price (without the HKG-CAN leg Google flights reckons the total cost is ~Ł1470 if my last flight is back to CMB (i.e. Ł1.31/TP), or ~Ł1785 if my last leg is back to HKG (so Ł1.59/TP). Would need to get avios positioning (from HKG) to CGK but shouldn't be an issue.
Matrix may suggest an itinerary with a HKG-CAN thrown in, but it raises the overall cost by close to 200 GBP, for a flight which you can obtain easily for 4500 Avios and a few quid.

Are you you planning on B2B in DOH on the separate tickets?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, CX MPC Gold, Avis preferred plus, MyWaitrose card
Originally Posted by ubiest

Matrix may suggest an itinerary with a HKG-CAN thrown in, but it raises the overall cost by close to 200 GBP, for a flight which you can obtain easily for 4500 Avios and a few quid.

Are you you planning on B2B in DOH on the separate tickets?

True, I was only interested in going xxx-HKG-CAN-xxx if it didn't cost any extra.

Yes I was planning on a B2B at Doha - IIRC there was about 1hr 15mins connection time between UL217 and UL218, which appears to be bookable with UL if I was just doing a single day CMB-DOH return journey.

I've only transited in Doha once before but I recall, even being on a bus transfer from my arriving plane, I was in the lounge within 10-15 mins of doors opening, so assuming I can print my BP off beforehand it shouldn't be too much of an issue I guess?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Firemin
True, I was only interested in going xxx-HKG-CAN-xxx if it didn't cost any extra.

Yes I was planning on a B2B at Doha - IIRC there was about 1hr 15mins connection time between UL217 and UL218, which appears to be bookable with UL if I was just doing a single day CMB-DOH return journey.

I've only transited in Doha once before but I recall, even being on a bus transfer from my arriving plane, I was in the lounge within 10-15 mins of doors opening, so assuming I can print my BP off beforehand it shouldn't be too much of an issue I guess?
Good point, I wasn’t aware of online check-in or getting the BP in CMB with UL.
And you are right, turning around in DOH is a breeze.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: BAEC

Good point, I wasn’t aware of online check-in or getting the BP in CMB with UL.
And you are right, turning around in DOH is a breeze.
I've just done CGK - CMB - DOH - FRA arriving on UL217 into DOH. The only thing to be aware of is that you have to go through security at DOH on arrival before you can access the departure gates. This seems to depend upon where you arrive from (when we arrived from FRA on a QR flight we did not go through security). It probably wont be a problem but be aware if you are trying to make the connection back on the same aircraft to CMB.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 4:12 am

Programs: BA Silver, hh Diamond, IHG spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Vgravity
Yes, if food and drink are part of your reason for going to the lounge, it's better. Always available hot food, and a better quality of beverages.

But the F wing, gold priority rewards, blocked seats next to you in Y, extra bag in any cabin, extra avios availability all make it worth getting Gold. Plus if you fly on other OW carriers, being OWE counts for something.
I am thinking of trying to get gold mainly for the gold priority rewards, but what is the blocked seat in Y all about?
i was thinking of a TP run to the far east but the BA deals to the US, and upgrading with avios, to then try and do a sub Ł1 per TP point, whilst in the US, might be worthwhile. My earning year ends 8th November so probably worth doing mid November to get almost 2 years of gold.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Can review this thread, when aircraft are not full, seats next to Golds remain unavailable for selection for lower tier members in the lead up to departure... Have a nosey

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ts-status.html
Yuff likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, hh Diamond, IHG spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Can review this thread, when aircraft are not full, seats next to Golds remain unavailable for selection for lower tier members in the lead up to departure... Have a nosey

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ts-status.html
Thanks, I’ll have a look as Gold status looks better by the day. Sorry if this is the wrong thread but I’ve read that gold members can purchase seats for HHA members, but the BA website says only the gold member can book priority gold rewards!
Old Feb 10, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Can I ask when doing these TP runs for example OTP-PHX, entering the USA when the customs officer asks ‘What are you doing here ?” Has anyone had issues with the TP/ mileage running explanations ? Anyone been pulled in for extra checks ?

Not that there’s anything to hide - just asking.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
Can I ask when doing these TP runs for example OTP-PHX, entering the USA when the customs officer asks ‘What are you doing here ?” Has anyone had issues with the TP/ mileage running explanations ? Anyone been pulled in for extra checks ?

Be upfront and honest about it. I got the same questions doing a HNL run last year and explained to an incredulous officer how I had come all this way , doing multiple segments just for 2 days in Hawaii. May be worth being prepared to explain the cost and benefits of status . I was cheerily waved through in just over 3 mins- didn't need to show any paperwork though I was prepared to if needed.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador

Be honest and say you're on a mileage run (they're more familiar with mileage runners then tp runners) - and that's if anyone asks you a question. These days you can use the APC kiosk when entering the US where you scan your passport or visa, answer a number of questions, take finger prints and you're done, just hand your slip to the immigration officer and you're in.

On my recent trip to Hawaii on a ticket originating from Cairo I was taken for an additional "chat" - for some reasons they got an information that I've flown directly from Cairo (I was on a ticket from CAI, but CAI-LHR leg was done a couple of months earlier). It all looked scary at first (they took me to the big blue waiting room...) but in the end it was just a friendly chat - when I explained that ticket was way cheaper from Cairo and that was the only reason I went there, they've let me go wishing me amazing time in Hawaii. So my advice is - don't lie, be honest, you'll be fine.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond

Not by any US official. When I’ve had the standard AA grilling on reason for travel, they’ve asked why I’ve been travelling from CPH and I just said because it’s cheaper, which they accepted.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by megaloman

Be honest and say you're on a mileage run (they're more familiar with mileage runners then tp runners) - and that's if anyone asks you a question. These days you can use the APC kiosk when entering the US where you scan your passport or visa, answer a number of questions, take finger prints and you're done, just hand your slip to the immigration officer and you're in.

On my recent trip to Hawaii on a ticket originating from Cairo I was taken for an additional "chat" - for some reasons they got an information that I've flown directly from Cairo (I was on a ticket from CAI, but CAI-LHR leg was done a couple of months earlier). It all looked scary at first (they took me to the big blue waiting room...) but in the end it was just a friendly chat - when I explained that ticket was way cheaper from Cairo and that was the only reason I went there, they've let me go wishing me amazing time in Hawaii. So my advice is - don't lie, be honest, you'll be fine.
Agree 100%. Once did two returns LAX-MIA-MEX, just overnight in MEX, and second journey 1˝ days after return to LAX. Well prepared for a chat, I was of course "offered" this. Whilst explaining only business in MEX was milage runs, having done nothing but dinner out and night in hotel, I showed the two CBP guys my present itenerary, a similar with the same days for a tentative LAX-DFW-MEX routing beeing shorter, but 30+% more costly, I was after a max of 5 min dismissed with the comment "Yeah, we see a lot of you guys here"

After 2˝ h lay-over, prepared to board, I recognized a guy from the MEX-MIA flight. He turned out to be on a MR too, had also been taken aside, but made up a story of a sick relative needing him to return earlier. As the CBP have access not only to your present, previous and upcoming flights, but also all dates for buying and changing the reservation, they of course knew he was just making up things. The verbal questioning was some 35-40min, and then his carry-on roller was unpacked, all bag zippers opened and all items was scrutinized, searching for drugs and explosives, in all spending 1h 15min in a dull room without windows, instead of using a nice lounge
megaloman likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Best I have seen is the UL CGK-DOH (or reverse) about 850 EUR for 560 TPs.

Headed down to India and SEA in April, and would love to hear more about this - I've been struggling to find good TP runs on MH, which is airline that I am keen to try out.

Would you have suggestions?

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...c=b;a=ONEWORLD

Avoid the 737 though if you can.

Last edited by ermen; Feb 10, 2018 at 8:50 am
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:43 am

Yes, if food and drink are part of your reason for going to the lounge, it's better. Always available hot food, and a better quality of beverages.
That's kind of what I had heard. Food and drink are better and it's a bit quieter (mostly), but otherwise very similar type of lounge to J

But the F wing, gold priority rewards, blocked seats next to you in Y, extra bag in any cabin, extra avios availability all make it worth getting Gold. Plus if you fly on other OW carriers, being OWE counts for something.
Yes, those are my main reasons for chasing Gold. Once I get Gold, going to a stack of HBO Y class 2-3 day European city breaks. Didn't know about the blocked seats in Y though
Old Feb 10, 2018, 3:23 pm
p78
Suspended

Programs: BA Silver, Aegan Gold, Hilton Diamond
680 Tier and 22000 Avios (blue member)

also possible
YYZ-MIA-LAX
YYZ-JFK-LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.