Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX 1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - 1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - 1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under 3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep 1.48/TP 650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep 1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open 1.94/TP 700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan 1.58/TP 883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb 1.44/TP 575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb 1.53/TP 860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar 1.22/TP 687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr 0.87/TP 314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr 1.19/TP 335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr 1.28/TP 335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr 2.00/TP 320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under 300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under 500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for 520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold

Originally Posted by Beaulieu
It looks like they may have changed the various rules on BA/AA today as on EF one search is bringing up one set of rules and another is bringing up an entirely different set (which should include the former)!
The one’s I booked last weekend were ILN8T8S4. Don’t know if I captured the one I booked this morning, but in all cases I have AA codes on BA metal. All flights had to have AA codes and couldn’t be mixed with BA ones.

Edit. I’m not an expert on fare rules but reading them for this it does make it seem as if it does have to be AA operates by AA, but there is a later bit which refers to the TATL being AA operated by BA (among others.

Last edited by madfish; Jan 13, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
GOT-Hawaii route, how do you take it down to 1900?

GOT-LHR-JFK-LAX-KOA shows up at 2030 in F on all flights except first and last which obviously doesn't have F. I saw some old posts from last year when the same fare was active and saw that GOT flights were showing as First and people mentioned 60TP.

Am I calculation it correctly? 6 x 210 + GOT flights 80TP or 120TP in A class. So 1340 TP or 1380 TP?

I'm only interested in KOA, because it's the next island I want to see.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:46 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
The LAX/KOA will be domestic first so think that will only be 140TPs rather than 210. The GOT/LHR will only be 40 each way. Cannot see how these will be 60. I think you will be looking at 1200 in total.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey
GOT-Hawaii route, how do you take it down to 1900?

GOT-LHR-JFK-LAX-KOA shows up at 2030 in F on all flights except first and last which obviously doesn't have F. I saw some old posts from last year when the same fare was active and saw that GOT flights were showing as First and people mentioned 60TP.

Am I calculation it correctly? 6 x 210 + GOT flights 80TP or 120TP in A class. So 1340 TP or 1380 TP?

I'm only interested in KOA, because it's the next island I want to see.
GOT Hawaii is 40 210 210 140 rtn so 1200

Try ex LCA open jaw to ATH
​​​​​​
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
teledude, what's the best price you've found and on what dates please ? Actually want to go to Athens
Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
teledude, what's the best price you've found and on what dates please ? Actually want to go to Athens
A shade over 1900 on various dates within the rules

Out on a Thursday and back on a Monday. If you have an idea of dates etc PM me.

I'm being shady because I have flights to book and I'll be annoyed if someone takes them
Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
I think, I will stick to GOT, it's cheap to get there and safe to do back to back day before longhaul flights. LCA takes it down 100 and open jaw to ATH another 100 but I would probably spend it to get and come back from both places. I'm also able to find connections with almost 24h between TATL and last leg to GOT and that one falling on Saturday, so it would be quite convenient to finish the trip on weekend after having some rest at home.

Looks like this fare is disappearing, can't find flights that were available in the afternoon. Now everything coming up at 4000-5000 and different fare name.

Last edited by Richmond_Surrey; Jan 13, 2018 at 3:45 pm
Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Well just booked the following which may be of use to someone:

LHR (PE - upgrade to J with Avios) - MCT (First) - DOH (Buss) - BKK (Buss) - DOH (First) - MCT (PE) - LHR
Used Avios to drop the BA PE ticket down to 471
Upgrade additional tax 53 + 20000 Avios per ticket
QR MCT - BKK 616

Nets me 90 + 60 + 140 + 140 + 60 + 90 = 580 Tier Points for around 1100
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:01 pm

Looking at the AMS-BKK fare. I can easily route via HKG, but cannot seem to get it to route via SIN. Looking at mid-late October. EF shows plenty of I availability on the LHR-SIN and SIN-BKK legs. Am I missing something? Also, is CX or RJ better for the HKG-BKK flight?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, hh Diamond, IHG spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by mflat
I'm worried. Just booked a flight via bookwithmatrix, with the following itinerary: LHR-HEL-OSL-HEL-LHR.

The first flight is a BA codeshare, and the remainder are Finnair.

I calculated this as 240 TP, but the BA dashboard is showing this as 170 TP. All flights are business, classes R & I.

Am I going to get the 240 TP or did I mess something up?
Were the flights good value?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, hh Diamond, IHG spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Well just booked the following which may be of use to someone:

LHR (PE - upgrade to J with Avios) - MCT (First) - DOH (Buss) - BKK (Buss) - DOH (First) - MCT (PE) - LHR
Used Avios to drop the BA PE ticket down to 471
Upgrade additional tax 53 + 20000 Avios per ticket
QR MCT - BKK 616

Nets me 90 + 60 + 140 + 140 + 60 + 90 = 580 Tier Points for around 1100
Had given up on a TP run and was going to use an expiring 241 to go to Middle East but the MCT-BKK fare is an idea to pick up a few tps 😄
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, GA PLAT, SQ Gold
I have to fly to the UK from Jakarta in February , so far i have the following

16th Feb Jakarta to DXB/DOH/KWI/AUH or MCT Sri Lanka Ait 729 (540tp)- Muscat is only 360 TP

I am now trying to decide what offers the best value and timing from there , all the flights arrive in the Middle East around 9.30-10pm

The best is BA Muscat (1100) or KWI (1400) both require a night in a hotel

BAH , AUH , and DXB early morning departures are from 1800 upwards

Any other ideas welcomed ?

The flights are now booked , the BA flights i booked as PE and Upgraded with Miles

CGK-CMB-BAH-LHR

LHR-DOH-CMB-CGK

Total Cost 1690

Tier Points 720

Not on the US scale but its not bad from Asia

Last edited by walkingtall; Jan 14, 2018 at 5:36 am Reason: FLIGHTS BOOKED
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: BAEC
bagged HEL-HND last night with 3 friends for 1250 each on Qatar in March...never flown Qatar before so looking forward to it. I have inserted my BAEC number on qatarairways.com and was expecting the flights to show on ba.com, is this correct? I presume points and miles will post ok to my BAEC account?

btw, planes are a bit boring on all 4 legs, but I don't intend to be sober enough to care!
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by leachster
bagged HEL-HND last night with 3 friends for 1250 each on Qatar in March...never flown Qatar before so looking forward to it. I have inserted my BAEC number on qatarairways.com and was expecting the flights to show on ba.com, is this correct? I presume points and miles will post ok to my BAEC account?
Your booking with Qatar won't show on your BAEC account unless you have a BA flight on the booking. You can still access your Qatar booking through Manage My Booking on BA, it will show you avios and tier points earnings.
leachster likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by megaloman
Your booking with Qatar won't show on your BAEC account unless you have a BA flight on the booking. You can still access your Qatar booking through Manage My Booking on BA, it will show you avios and tier points earnings.
ah ha, so that's the difference between my last AA run, that had a BA flight from DUB. thanks for the info @megaloman
megaloman likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.