Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX 1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - 1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - 1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under 3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep 1.48/TP 650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep 1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open 1.94/TP 700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan 1.58/TP 883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb 1.44/TP 575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb 1.53/TP 860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar 1.22/TP 687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr 0.87/TP 314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr 1.19/TP 335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr 1.28/TP 335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr 2.00/TP 320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under 300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under 500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for 520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Yes it is that one! Thank you.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: Varies
I've just provisionally booked a Qatar Business Class OSL-DOH-SIN return for approx 2310 for 2 passengers - 1155 each. That's 560 tier points / 2.06 per tier point I think.
Dates are May 3rd to May 7th.

I now need 4 BA flights and 40 tier points to get to 600 and was considering flying MAN-LHR-OSL as a positioning flight, but I'm feeling nervous about a) relying on trains to Manchester unless I stay the night before and b) having complex positioning flights, even if I plan an overnight stay in OSL.

So I think I'll just fly LHR-OSL-LHR on BA, arriving the day before the outgoing flights, and find a dead-cheap BA return flight on another occasion.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Not familiar with pricing on this route but can someone advise if it is good?

LHR - AUH 1649

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/#se...HLHR0BA72;sc=f
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai

LHR - AUH 1649

Good for F just check it's not Ramadan
hugolover and Calchas like this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai

LHR - AUH 1649

It’s a very good fare and mentioned a few times already. But it’s not good enough for a tier point run in this forum . 420 TPs so about 4 each.

Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
Done this trip last year with an itin Ross and I knocked up quite enjoyed it, Although it was a lot more lucrative when it was 210 and 60 rather than 140 and 40
14x60 + 2x210 = 1260

I would be up for that. Not quite so keen on 760
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by teledude
Good for F just check it's not Ramadan
Outward part is during Ramadam (15th May to 14th June in 2018), I know that makes a difference with the lounges on Qatar, but I'd guess it doesn't do much on BA.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Virgin
Some advice please.... Just about to book a trip that's probably not technically a TP run as its 1594 for 440 pts flying DUB-LHR-MIA-MCO on 29th Jan then MCO-CLT-PHL-DUB on 8th Feb all in business. The price is about the same as LGW-MCO business on BA and with the 80 pts for a positioning flight to and from DUB this will help push my wife into Gold and gets me well on the way for renewal. Anyway the is the first time we've done a multi trip like this. I priced it up on Google and then click the booking option through to the AA website. Only worry there is that although it shows the itinerary on the AA site and it lets me go through the booking procedure I get all the way to the credit card page and it doesn't show me anywhere that I can see what classes the flights are other than if I click on the fare basis link it shows INN4T1S4 on all legs but this don't mean much to me. I'm reluctant to add card info and commit without confirmation these are in fact Business flights. Am I missing something or is this normal when booking via AA website? Google says I can call BA to book these flights but its about 70 more expensive that way...... What's the advice? should I pay the extra 70 or whatever the BA agent decides to add or trust the AA site after I input the credit card details that its the correct class.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
The AA site will tell you booking class before confirmation if you expand the flight details. I can't remember exactly how, but you'll probably find it easier if you construct the itinerary directly on the AA site where it's a bit more step by step. AA also gives you a free 24 hour hold on the booking so you can set it up and go back and check everything. Great customer services too..
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by bisonrav
The AA site will tell you booking class before confirmation if you expand the flight details. I can't remember exactly how, but you'll probably find it easier if you construct the itinerary directly on the AA site where it's a bit more step by step. AA also gives you a free 24 hour hold on the booking so you can set it up and go back and check everything. Great customer services too..
Thanks giving that a try and noticed another question. The Google link took me to the Ireland version of the AA site I've just gone the UK version so I could see the price in GBP rather than EUR and that then seems to increase the price by adding a UK airport tax charge of around 48 each. Can I use the Ireland site and pay with an UK credit card or do I have to use the UK AA site?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by chrisnj
Thanks giving that a try and noticed another question. The Google link took me to the Ireland version of the AA site I've just gone the UK version so I could see the price in GBP rather than EUR and that then seems to increase the price by adding a UK airport tax charge of around 48 each. Can I use the Ireland site and pay with an UK credit card or do I have to use the UK AA site?
Actually I just see what's happened on the UK site. Its routed me on the way back from PHL to DUB via LHR rather than direct to DUB as Google had - As that's an extra 40 TP for the extra cost I think we can live with that.
20Rothmans likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by LondonTechTraveller
4. A three-legged journey at 3x40 eg LON-VIE-MAD-LON
For option 4: I seem to recall that the LATAM FRA-MAD or reverse was reasonably priced - don't know if it still is? Long haul flatbed, too.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
OTP-LHR-HEL

For something a little shorter from Bucharest, OTP-LHR-HEL can be had for 657 a few weeks ahead, so 2.05/TP. Not nearly as good as the whole OTP-PHX monty, but useful for lesser amounts.
TPRun likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by chrisnj
Actually I just see what's happened on the UK site. Its routed me on the way back from PHL to DUB via LHR rather than direct to DUB as Google had - As that's an extra 40 TP for the extra cost I think we can live with that.
Im sure youll be able to put a hold on your flights priced in and then call AA to have them convert it to before paying over the phone. I did this without issue over the weekend, albeit the hold booking was priced in $ but I received exactly the same price I was expecting in .
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:23 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
AMS-BKK fare

How do you interpret the stopover cost clause?

If you have only 2 stopovers in total it adds EUR 200 (100 x 2)?

And if you want unlimited stopovers, you add EUR 200 in total, or EUR200 for each stopover?

If I want to do the following:

AMS-LHR-HKG
HKG-BKK
BKK-HKG
HKG-LHR
LHR-AMS

I count 3 stopovers in addition to BKK as the destimation - is that correct?

Quote:
ORIGINATING EUROPE -
UNLIMITED STOPOVERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION LIMITED TO 2 AT EUR100.00 EACH, AND UNLIMITED AT EUR 200.00 EACH. A STOPOVER MAY NOT EXCEED 6 MONTHS.
Quote:
5 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION FREE
2 FREE IN EUROPE IN EACH DIRECTION
3 FREE IN JAPAN/KOREA, REP. OF/KOREA, DEM. PEOPLE'S
REP. OF/S.W. PACIFIC/SOUTHEAST ASIA EXCEPT CHINA IN
EACH DIRECTION.
AND - 1 TRANSFER PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION FREE
1 FREE IN CHINA IN EACH DIRECTION
FARE BREAK AND EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS NOT
PERMITTED ON THE FARE COMPONENT.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.