Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
exAMS Sale Fare INCSALE to BKK

This is a slightly cheaper (around £90 less) sale fare version of the long running advanced purchase AMS-BKK (INCEU60) fare. It looks like it has the same conditions, albeit this one needs to be booked by 4 February. At £1,259 this can be a cheap way to get to all Far East destinations. Also AMS is fool proof for back to backs.

Permitted routings are:
1. AMS-LON-BKK
2. AMS-LON-HKG-CX/HX/RJ-BKK
3. AMS-LON-KUL-BA/MH/RJ-BKK
4. AMS-LON-SIN-3K/CX-BKK

Some previous INCSALE AMS-BKK fares have only allowed the direct LHR-BKK flight but this one does not seem to be restricted in that way. Both LHR to SIN and KUL earn 160 TP in J, LHR-HKG is just 140 TP. Be careful if going to KUL as you may be routed on MH to BKK in I class which earns no TPs or avios.

A typical routing could be for example AMS-LHR-HKG-BKK with HKG-BKK on CX/KA, earning 440 TP in total.

Example price:
AMS-BKK - £1,259 (example when routing AMS-LHR-HKG-BKK rtn)

No travel period restrictions.

RESERVATIONS MUST BE MADE ON/BEFORE 04 FEB 18.
TRAVEL FROM LAST INTERNATIONAL STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SUN AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE FIRST INTERNATIONAL SECTOR.
RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED AT LEAST 14 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE.
ORIGINATING EUROPE -
UNLIMITED STOPOVERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION LIMITED TO 2 AT EUR100.00 EACH, AND UNLIMITED AT EUR 200.00 EACH. A STOPOVER MAY NOT EXCEED 6 MONTHS.
5 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION FREE
2 FREE IN EUROPE IN EACH DIRECTION
3 FREE IN JAPAN/KOREA, REP. OF/KOREA, DEM. PEOPLE'S
REP. OF/S.W. PACIFIC/SOUTHEAST ASIA EXCEPT CHINA IN
EACH DIRECTION.
AND - 1 TRANSFER PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION FREE
1 FREE IN CHINA IN EACH DIRECTION
FARE BREAK AND EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS NOT
PERMITTED ON THE FARE COMPONENT.
CANCELLATIONS
ANY TIME
TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
NOTE -
FARE COMPONENT IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
----------------------------------------------
WAIVED FOR DEATH OF A PASSENGER AND PASSENGERS
TRAVELLING COMPANIONS.
WHEN COMBINING NON-REFUNDABLE FARES WITH
REFUNDABLE FARES
1. THE AMOUNT PAID ON EACH REFUNDABLE FARE
COMPONENT IS REFUNDED.
2. THE AMOUNT PAID ON EACH NON-REFUNDABLE FARE
COMPONENT WILL NOT BE REFUNDED.
3. WHEN COMBINING FARES CHARGE THE SUM OF THE
CANCELLATION FEES OF ALL CANCELLED FARE
COMPONENTS.
REFUND OF UNUSED TAXES FEES AND CHARGES PAID TO
THIRD PARTIES PERMITTED. ASSOCIATED CARRIER
IMPOSED CHARGES WILL NOT BE REFUNDED.
REFUND PERMITTED WITHIN TICKET VALIDITY.
ANY NON-REFUNDABLE AMOUNT FROM A PREVIOUS TICKET
REMAINS NON-REFUNDABLE FOLLOWING A CHANGE.
TICKET IS NOT TRANSFERABLE TO ANOTHER PERSON.
-------CANCELLATION REPRICING CONDITIONS------
FLOWN COUPONS MUST BE REPRICED USING HISTORICAL
FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE.
THE FARE FOR THE JOURNEY TRAVELLED MUST BE CAPPED
AT THE TOTAL FARE AMOUNT PLUS CARRIER IMPOSED
CHARGE PAID ON THE TICKET BEING PRESENTED FOR
REFUND.
FULLY FLOWN FARE COMPONENTS MAY BE REPRICED USING
ANY BOOKING CODE WITHIN THE SAME CABIN PROVIDED
THE NEW FARE AMOUNT IS EQUAL OR HIGHER THAN
ORIGINAL.
PARTIALLY FLOWN FARE COMPONENTS MUST BE REPRICED
USING THE SAME OR HIGHER BOOKING CODE.
CHANGES
ANY TIME
CHARGE EUR 300.00 FOR REISSUE/REVALIDATION.
NOTE -
WITH THE EXCEPTION OF TICKETS CHANGED IN THE US
ANY PENALTY FEE MUST BE COLLECTED VIA AN EMD.
REFER TO SPEEDBIRDCLUB.COM OR BATRAVELTRADE.COM
AND YOUR GDS FOR INSTRUCTIONS.
CHARGE APPLIES PER TRANSACTION - PER PERSON FOR
ALL PASSENGER TYPES.
INFANTS WITHOUT A SEAT - NO CHARGE.
--------------------------------------------------
A CHANGE IS A DATE/FLIGHT/ROUTING/BOOKING CODE
CHANGE. NEW RESERVATION AND REISSUE/REVALIDATION
MUST BE MADE ON THE SAME DAY.
REISSUE MUST BE MADE THE SAME DAY AS CHANGE OF
RESERVATION BUT NO LATER THAN SCHEDULED DEPARTURE
TIME OF FLIGHT BEING CHANGED.
OTHERWISE THE TICKET WILL ONLY BE VALID FOR
REFUND IF APPLICABLE.
WHEN MORE THAN ONE FARE COMPONENT IS CHANGED THE
HIGHEST PENALTY OF ALL CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS
WITHIN THE JOURNEY APPLIES.
--- REPRICING CONDITIONS ---
A. BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY WHEN THE FIRST
FARE COMPONENT IS CHANGED THE ITINERARY MUST BE
RE-PRICED USING CURRENT FARES IN EFFECT ON THE
DATE THE TICKET IS REISSUED.
B. BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY WHEN CHANGES ARE
TO BOOKING CODE ONLY IN THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT
AND RESULT IN A HIGHER FARE THE ITINERARY MUST BE
RE-PRICED USING HISTORICAL FARES IN EFFECT ON THE
PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE OR USING CURRENT FARES IN
EFFECT ON THE DATE THE TICKET IS REISSUED -
WHICHEVER IS LOWER.
C. BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY WHEN THERE ARE NO
CHANGES TO THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT BUT OTHER
FARE COMPONENTS ARE CHANGED THE ITINERARY MUST BE
RE-PRICED USING HISTORICAL FARES IN EFFECT ON THE
PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE OR USING CURRENT FARES IN
EFFECT ON THE DATE THE TICKET IS REISSUED-
WHICHEVER IS LOWER.
D. AFTER DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY THE ITINERARY MUST
BE RE-PRICED USING HISTORICAL FARES IN EFFECT ON
THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE.
1. IF SAME BOOKING CLASS IS USED NEW TICKET VALUE
MUST BE LOWER - EQUAL OR HIGHER THAN PREVIOUS AND
MUST COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISIONS OF THE NEW FARE
BEING APPLIED.
2. IF A DIFFERENT BOOKING CLASS IS USED NEW
TICKET VALUE MUST BE EQUAL OR HIGHER THAN
PREVIOUS AND MUST COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISIONS OF
THE NEW FARE BEING APPLIED.
WHEN THE ITINERARY RESULTS IN A HIGHER FARE THE
DIFFERENCE WILL BE COLLECTED. ANY APPLICABLE
CHANGE FEE STILL APPLIES.
ANY NON-REFUNDABLE AMOUNT FROM A PREVIOUS TICKET
REMAINS NON-REFUNDABLE FOLLOWING A CHANGE.
NO-SHOWS FOR A FLIGHT ARE CONSIDERED A
CANCELLATION AFTER DEPARTURE AND CHANGES ARE NOT
PERMITTED.
TICKET IS NOT TRANSFERABLE TO ANOTHER PERSON.
megaloman likes this.

Last edited by KARFA; Jan 8, 2018 at 4:14 am
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
There is currently a INCSALE fare that's coming up on matrix instead of this standard advance purchase fare. However it looks to me to be the same pricing and rules except needs to be ticketed by 4 February 2018. Do people concur that this fare is largely the same fare? (See spoiler below for details)

Essentially what I'm looking at booking is:

AMS-HKG
HKG-BKK
BKK-HKG
HKG-LHR
LHR-AMS

And it's coming up at EUR 1,784. Does this fare sound the same as the standard advance purchase fare?
Thanks for spotting and posting. Seems to be ~£90 less than the advanced purchase fare. Yes seems to be exactly the same conditions as the advanced purchase - sometimes the sale ones only allow a AMS-LHR-BKK routing but this one seems to allow going via HKG/SIN/KUL like the advanced purchase fare. Have posted this in the wiki now.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, CX MPC Gold, Avis preferred plus, MyWaitrose card
Originally Posted by KARFA
Thanks for spotting and posting. Seems to be ~£90 less than the advanced purchase fare. Yes seems to be exactly the same conditions as the advanced purchase - sometimes the sale ones only allow a AMS-LHR-BKK routing but this one seems to allow going via HKG/SIN/KUL like the advanced purchase fare. Have posted this in the wiki now.
Damn it! If only there was a reverse version of this fare for those of us who live in the Far East!

(ideally looking for something like BKK - LHR - AMS - LHR - HKG - BKK but that prices up over £2k
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:17 am

Not a tier point run for me just the holiday booking for me and the wife in J. INV-LHR-YYZ, BOS - ORD and then ORD - JFK - LHR - INV home. With 7 days car hire I am getting for £1532. Taking away the car hire which I value at £300 comes to £1382pp for 440 TP which is £3.14 per TP. Only a CE break from GLA to Europe to renew silver plus around 40k avios to boot. The BA website gave the routing without prompting. Hopefully it goes through.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR , HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cw novice
Not a tier point run for me just the holiday booking for me and the wife in J. INV-LHR-YYZ, BOS - ORD and then ORD - JFK - LHR - INV home. With 7 days car hire I am getting for £1532. Taking away the car hire which I value at £300 comes to £1382pp for 440 TP which is £3.14 per TP. Only a CE break from GLA to Europe to renew silver plus around 40k avios to boot. The BA website gave the routing without prompting. Hopefully it goes through.
Slippery slope Cw novice. Next you will find yourself doing a fully fledged TP run and getting Gold!
palmanfr likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Not sure if this would be of interest to anyone but I noticed that you can get 440 TPs (to be checked by experts please!) for £870 on a trip to HNL ex EU.

This is WT+ on the TATL legs and also Premium Economy on the 772 DFW-HNL service both ways. Economy legs are booked into Y. The actual route I saw was GOT-LHR-ATL-DFW-HNL-DFW-IAD-LHR-GOT, found on AA.com.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by LSunbury
Not sure if this would be of interest to anyone but I noticed that you can get 440 TPs (to be checked by experts please!) for £870 on a trip to HNL ex EU.

This is WT+ on the TATL legs and also Premium Economy on the 772 DFW-HNL service both ways. Economy legs are booked into Y. The actual route I saw was GOT-LHR-ATL-DFW-HNL-DFW-IAD-LHR-GOT, found on AA.com.
When ? What month did you see that fare ?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN

When ? What month did you see that fare ?
as good as this fare may seem I really wouldn't recommend going to Hawaii in Y/W
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by KARFA

as good as this fare may seem I really wouldn't recommend going to Hawaii in Y/W
Much better to go in F for double the price
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club, BA GGL CCR, Amex Plat
Hi All,

So been viewing this group for a while and looking to do my first proper run i.e. not because I need to be somewhere but do the opt-phx run over the august bank hol weekend.
before I book just wondering if anyone knows of any other runs I can do while state side as I have the option to take some days off. Otherwise it will just be out there for the night for some good bbq food and then back.
Also thanks in advance to all as this group has been helpful in other trips I have done when I have needed to somewhere.

Thanks
Nayan
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by n4ynx
Hi All,

So been viewing this group for a while and looking to do my first proper run i.e. not because I need to be somewhere but do the opt-phx run over the august bank hol weekend.
before I book just wondering if anyone knows of any other runs I can do while state side as I have the option to take some days off. Otherwise it will just be out there for the night for some good bbq food and then back.
Also thanks in advance to all as this group has been helpful in other trips I have done when I have needed to somewhere.

Thanks
Nayan
Not sure of any amazing US runs at the moment but please do come join us

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1886520-phx-mini-do-aug-2018-a.html
n4ynx likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by n4ynx
Hi All,

Thanks
Nayan
The best £/TP ratio in the US that I am aware of is LAX-PTY and return, taking in 16 sectors (over approx 4 days) and earning 840 TPs for ~£781 (£0.92/TP).

Something like this:
LCSinTexas, n4ynx and Yuff like this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by phoneticduck
Indeed, but the QR annual global sale is imminent, which is usually much better than the rolling QR sales.
Forgive my ignorance, but once the QR annual global sale fares are posted, what do I need to do when booking to make sure my BAEC account (and that of my companion) is credited with tier points and avios?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by ttama
Forgive my ignorance, but once the QR annual global sale fares are posted, what do I need to do when booking to make sure my BAEC account (and that of my companion) is credited with tier points and avios?
You'll get to a point where you can enter frequent flyer numbers for each passenger. Just select BA from the drop down and enter your Executive Club numbers. If you can't do it during booking, you can always go to the QR website and manage your booking (you need booking code and surname). You can then edit the passenger info. One of the options is frequent flyer number. It's generally quite straightforward to do.
ttama likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
You'll get to a point where you can enter frequent flyer numbers for each passenger. Just select BA from the drop down and enter your Executive Club numbers. If you can't do it during booking, you can always go to the QR website and manage your booking (you need booking code and surname). You can then edit the passenger info. One of the options is frequent flyer number. It's generally quite straightforward to do.
Thanks. It looks imminent so I'm getting ready to pounce.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.