BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 17, 18, 11:12 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: OWBA
Wiki Link
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com



From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 24, 18, 4:36 am
  #736  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Berkshire / London
Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Posts: 673
Originally Posted by flyuk View Post
I'm considering it because of the mostly long connection times and AMS is easy and cheap to get to from Southampton (my home base). I'd only lose three work days instead of four, and the connections are plentiful with the UK compared to OTP. I don't really need an extra 120TP, but I'd probably enjoy Honolulu more than Phoenix...

So

800TP/£1320/£1.65
vs
920TP/£1800/£1.95
I like the look of it, and I need to do a run in Nov to keep me Gold until Nov 2020
TPRun is online now  
Old Jan 24, 18, 4:59 am
  #737  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Berlin
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,642
Originally Posted by wonderman View Post
AGP for non schengen was reported as difficult, turned out to be pretty simple as long as you are willing to jump the passport queue.
If you have to jump the passport queue to avoid missing your return flight I would indeed consider that to be a "difficult" B2B.
rossmacd likes this.
Misco60 is offline  
Old Jan 24, 18, 5:12 am
  #738  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Berlin
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,642
Originally Posted by flyuk View Post
I don't really need an extra 120TP, but I'd probably enjoy Honolulu more than Phoenix.
You have to decide whether you're doing a TP run or a TP-optimised mini-break. If your aim is just to get the TPs you need then there is no point spending more money and time doing so just to get a better £/TP ratio.

Phoenix might not be the most interesting of cities, but is a very easy destination for a quick TP run. The flight times are convenient (typically, arriving at around 7pm and leaving at around 10am the next day), and there is a wide choice of hotels in all categories near the airport. There are even a couple, such as the Crowne Plaza, that you can reach easily without having to take a taxi (the minimum taxi fare from the airport is $15) or wait for a hotel shuttle.

I shall be doing an OTP-PHX run at Easter, routing via LHR, HEL, LHR (again) and BOS in each direction, netting 1,040 TPs for just under £1,500. With the positioning flights, that's 1,200 TPs for around £1,800. I don't know whether that routing is still possible - I booked mine many months ago.
Misco60 is offline  
Old Jan 24, 18, 5:51 am
  #739  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cumbria
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 4,451
Originally Posted by rossmacd View Post

The OTP-PHX A (first) fare is either recently been made available or recently discovered, and I am not so convinced that it would be a 'long-term' offering, therefore I would be booking sooner rather than later should you wish to use it.
I booked a OTP/PHX in J on 5/1 and UuA. The next morning I was just being inquisitive when I can wondered what it would be in F and was surprised to see it being around £300 more than J without the avios and A on the Transcon. Checking with some regulars on here they confirmed this seemed to be the case. They were not aware of this at the time I asked but this had been previously available on other routes.

I suppose it goes to show that we just need to be vigilante and play around with matrix to see what crops up.
rossmacd likes this.
madfish is offline  
Old Jan 24, 18, 6:00 am
  #740  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sapporo, Japan
Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Posts: 511
Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
You have to decide whether you're doing a TP run or a TP-optimised mini-break. If your aim is just to get the TPs you need then there is no point spending more money and time doing so just to get a better £/TP ratio.

Phoenix might not be the most interesting of cities, but is a very easy destination for a quick TP run. The flight times are convenient (typically, arriving at around 7pm and leaving at around 10am the next day), and there is a wide choice of hotels in all categories near the airport. There are even a couple, such as the Crowne Plaza, that you can reach easily without having to take a taxi (the minimum taxi fare from the airport is $15) or wait for a hotel shuttle.

I shall be doing an OTP-PHX run at Easter, routing via LHR, HEL, LHR (again) and BOS in each direction, netting 1,040 TPs for just under £1,500. With the positioning flights, that's 1,200 TPs for around £1,800. I don't know whether that routing is still possible - I booked mine many months ago.
That's a great deal, but the logistics are not as suited to me as a SOU-AMS positioning flight.
flyuk is offline  
Old Jan 24, 18, 6:04 am
  #741  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Surrey, UK
Programs: BA GGL
Posts: 401
I'd like to put in a good word for Phoenix as a destination - or at least as the place to fly to in order to visit some other places. This does depend a bit on the time of year of course!
Depending how long you want to spend on the ground I can recommend these
  • Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument - had 3 nights on the ground and spent the time there a couple of years back in January
  • Death Valley - did this with 6 nights on the ground on an OTP-PHX trip last November also went to London Bridge and several Rte 66 sites
  • this Easter, on OTP-PHX fare, driving east as far as Carlsbad though that is with 9 nights
  • you could get up to Sedona for a night or two
  • Grand Canyon
  • with a couple of nights you go to Saguaro Cactus NP, Old Tucson Studios and the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
I'd also agree about the abundance of hotels near the airport for an overnight and I think the prices are pretty reasonable.

I think AZ generally is pretty reasonable for accommodation/car hire. My last couple of trips to Hawaii have made my credit card much unhappier.
flyuk likes this.
Iamnotlost is offline  
Old Jan 24, 18, 6:40 am
  #742  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: LHR
Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Posts: 767
Originally Posted by madfish View Post
I booked a OTP/PHX in J on 5/1 and UuA. The next morning I was just being inquisitive when I can wondered what it would be in F and was surprised to see it being around £300 more than J without the avios and A on the Transcon. Checking with some regulars on here they confirmed this seemed to be the case. They were not aware of this at the time I asked but this had been previously available on other routes.

I suppose it goes to show that we just need to be vigilante and play around with matrix to see what crops up.
This is my mantra when booking tickets - always see how much the next fare class is. Even on ba.com where I have come across instances where CE was cheaper than ET.
Jase76 is offline  
Old Jan 24, 18, 6:46 am
  #743  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: London, England
Posts: 366
Quick question regarding the OTP-PHX fare... I have only been able to get this to price up with the 8:30am OTP-LHR flight, and that seems to be what people are using in their itinerary examples, so is everyone staying overnight at OTP or am I missing a more creative solution?

Regardless of the route, I need to be in PHX on June 1st, which prices to £1800 anyway, but I'd still be tempted. Otherwise I'll probably do my usual WTP from GOT/BLL and upgrade,
Bloomsbury is offline  
Old Jan 24, 18, 6:49 am
  #744  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cumbria
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 4,451
Originally Posted by Bloomsbury View Post
Quick question regarding the OTP-PHX fare... I have only been able to get this to price up with the 8:30am OTP-LHR flight, and that seems to be what people are using in their itinerary examples, so is everyone staying overnight at OTP or am I missing a more creative solution?

Regardless of the route, I need to be in PHX on June 1st, which prices to £1800 anyway, but I'd still be tempted. Otherwise I'll probably do my usual WTP from GOT/BLL and upgrade,
For the F fare you must book on all AA codes even if this is actually a codeshare on BA metal. There is no AA code on the evening departure from OTP and so you cannot get it at this price. You can use the evening OTP/LHR on the J fare as this does not require solely AA codes.
rossmacd and mikeyfly like this.
madfish is offline  
Old Jan 24, 18, 6:52 am
  #745  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Berkshire / London
Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Posts: 673
Originally Posted by Bloomsbury View Post
Quick question regarding the OTP-PHX fare... I have only been able to get this to price up with the 8:30am OTP-LHR flight, and that seems to be what people are using in their itinerary examples, so is everyone staying overnight at OTP or am I missing a more creative solution?

Regardless of the route, I need to be in PHX on June 1st, which prices to £1800 anyway, but I'd still be tempted. Otherwise I'll probably do my usual WTP from GOT/BLL and upgrade,
Personally, yes. Positioning in OTP the night before (I think it lands at 0015 on the day of the 830am flight I'm taking - the lounge is 24hrs )
TPRun is online now  
Old Jan 24, 18, 7:05 am
  #746  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bristol
Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,377
Originally Posted by TPRun View Post
Personally, yes. Positioning in OTP the night before (I think it lands at 0015 on the day of the 830am flight I'm taking - the lounge is 24hrs )
I.am staying 3 nights by Piata Unirii on my next visit, which is served 24h by tye 783 Express bus from outside the terminal at OTP.. Just shy of an hour's journey so 05:30 departure on the return wlhich is not too bad...

Piata Unirii is close to the Old City and well served by Metro and city buses too...
Fitch is offline  
Old Jan 24, 18, 7:09 am
  #747  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Wolverhampton
Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriot Gold.
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by TPRun View Post
Personally, yes. Positioning in OTP the night before (I think it lands at 0015 on the day of the 830am flight I'm taking - the lounge is 24hrs )
I assume online checkin and they'll let you in 7-8 hours early? Airport lounge sleep? Hmmmn, tried it once in Galleries North, and got someone sit down with a screaming baby 6 inches behind my head. Discovered B lounges after that...
Smid is offline  
Old Jan 24, 18, 7:16 am
  #748  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BG
Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 725
Originally Posted by TPRun View Post
Personally, yes. Positioning in OTP the night before (I think it lands at 0015 on the day of the 830am flight I'm taking - the lounge is 24hrs )
I usually try to stay at one of the hotels next to the airport when I have an early OTP start so as not to have to deal with early morning traffic in Bucharest. The Vienna House Bucharest airport (AKA Angelo Hotel) is only a 5 minute walk from the airport and is of a decent quality.

On the OTP/PHX run i'd prefer to maximise sleep beforehand and as the OTP lounge is 'below par' there's not much reason to get there early, especially with such wonderful lounges and first class to look forward to further on in the journey.
TPRun likes this.

Last edited by englisha; Jan 24, 18 at 7:22 am
englisha is offline  
Old Jan 24, 18, 7:18 am
  #749  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 146
Originally Posted by Smid View Post
I assume online checkin and they'll let you in 7-8 hours early? Airport lounge sleep? Hmmmn, tried it once in Galleries North, and got someone sit down with a screaming baby 6 inches behind my head. Discovered B lounges after that...
B Lounges?
webstereo is offline  
Old Jan 24, 18, 7:38 am
  #750  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: LHR
Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Posts: 767
Originally Posted by englisha View Post
I usually try to stay at one of the hotels next to the airport when I have an early OTP start so as not to have to deal with early morning traffic in Bucharest. The Vienna House Bucharest airport (AKA Angelo Hotel) is only a 5 minute walk from the airport and is of a decent quality.

On the OTP/PHX run i'd prefer to maximise sleep beforehand and as the OTP lounge is 'below par' there's not much reason to get there early, especially with such wonderful lounges and first class to look forward to further on in the journey.
Thanks for that tip, I was wondering where to stay for the eight hours I am in Bucharest. It will not be the lounge! Being able to walk there is ideal, no reliance on shuttles or public transport so I can maximise sleep time.
Jase76 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: