Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd
I would do the following (which works perfectly):

This forces the TATLs and Transons into A class, which I find sometimes Matrix is a bit sloppy with results when selecting First as the cabin
@rossmacd
Thank you so much for this! It allowed me to force my second transcon into A class. (I am going via SFO rather than LAX.)

1080TP for £1626

My only regret is that I can't make the August Bank Holiday meet up- I am going the first weekend in the month.....
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by palmanfr
MH KUL-PER, in business class for 280 Euros one way (140 TP). Operated on a 737 though. (Was mentioned before I think)
MH KUL-PER, could be on the 737 but also on the 333 with the new business class seat for 235 Euros one way (140 TP). Was considering this on the way to Japan, with Visa waiver for 5 days in Shanghai.
Was there a typo here? Looks like you mentioned KUL-PER one way twice. I can't get anywhere near the EUR280 price on google flights. I find EUR469 for the next 12 months.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:37 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by wonderman
If you can get to Doha then DOH-CMB-CGK return with sri lanken is £770 for 560TP. If you do it on Feb 8th you'll be on the same flight as me!
Ouch, that has to hurt.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: British Airways | Executive Club silver
newbie here needing help
dont know how to start a new post lol so i reply to this

ive been a ba exec member for about 3 years now but stuck on blue with only 590 life time tps
my points have just reset and i would like to progress from blue to bronze this year
can anyone give me some simple advice ?

i have 5 days off from 27th apr to 1st may and would like to use that time by getting some tps

my home base airport is edinburgh
can anyone find some quick easy ways get gain some tps on the cheap for those dates ?

thanks in advance andy
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:58 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by andyh1877
newbie here needing help

ive been a ba exec member for about 3 years now but stuck on blue with only 590 life time tps
my points have just reset and i would like to progress from blue to bronze this year

i have 5 days off from 27th apr to 1st may and would like to use that time by getting some tps

can anyone find some quick easy ways get gain some tps on the cheap for those dates ?

thanks in advance andy
Well the ultimate challenge some of us are doing over May bank holiday is CAI-LON-JFK-LAX-HNL return with 1 day at Waikiki. It's a little more than 300 TPs (almost 1500) but let me know if you are interested.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:02 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Well the ultimate challenge some of us are doing over May bank holiday is CAI-LON-JFK-LAX-HNL return with 1 day at Waikiki. It's a little more than 300 TPs (almost 1500) but let me know if you are interested.
Jesus! How much is that?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by flyuk
Jesus! How much is that?
The best fare has now gone (unfortunately), but it is now about ~£1,700 for about 1,120 TPs.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by CX_newbie
Was there a typo here? Looks like you mentioned KUL-PER one way twice. I can't get anywhere near the EUR280 price on google flights. I find EUR469 for the next 12 months.
Yea indeed there was a typo. The second one was PVG not PER... I was able to see those prices until two days ago. Let me check again, maybe the sale expired, as those were sale prices ex-KUL.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
The best fare has now gone (unfortunately), but it is now about ~£1,700 for about 1,120 TPs.
Sounds like a fun trip. If I was based in the UK I'd be all over something like this. I think the social aspect of a run might make it all even more worthwhile.
TPRun likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Looks like the MH deals I mentioned before ex KUL to PER and PVG are now dead. Now 470 and 369€ one way respectively.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:18 am

Sounds like a fun trip. If I was based in the UK I'd be all over something like this. I think the social aspect of a run might make it all even more worthwhile.
Looking at the people who've taken advantage of this fare, being based in the UK (or Europe, for that matter) has not been much of a consideration
florens likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by andyh1877
newbie here needing help

thanks in advance andy
Welcome. What do you see as the advantages of having bronze? Is there any value of this for you? Most people tend to disregard bronze and see silver as a better level to achieve as this comes with lounge access and free seat selection at time of booking.

nevertheless, 300TPs are fairly easily attainable. From EDI you should be able to fit in an EDI/LGW/MLA and return over a couple of days 240 TPs in CE. Alternatively head down to LHR on day one and do a range of short haul flights on B2Bs from there or spend each day in a different city before returning to EDI at the end of it all.
Day 1 and 5 to and from EDI. 80TPs
Day 2, 3 and 4 from LHR to anywhere and return 80TPs each day.

However, with the above you would still be looking at around £800 minimum. I’d be more tempted to look to go on an ex-EU for not much more and hit silver.

Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Indeed, we have taken over some F cabins, eg on the transcon A321 we have 4/10 seats. It's great fun to travel in groups, I hear CC like us because all we need is some champagne.
florens, Richmond_Surrey and flyuk like this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:24 am

Looking at the people who've taken advantage of this fare, being based in the UK (or Europe, for that matter) has not been much of a consideration
I'm in Sapporo, it takes two flights, a small fortune and 2-3 days to get to CAI and back. I'm also on sabbatical studying, so I can't take too long off. Once I'm back in the UK I can also use BA staff flights for positioning...
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Indeed, we have taken over some F cabins, eg on the transcon A321 we have 4/10 seats. It's great fun to travel in groups, I hear CC like us because all we need is some champagne.
Can I stomache champagne at 6am?

In one case the cabin crew scarpered leaving an unguarded trolley at our disposal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.