BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 17, 18, 11:12 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: OWBA
Wiki Link
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 30, 18, 3:56 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
TLFL had an article about AA transcon flights from JFK and BOS today. Just had a quick look for next year and JFK-BOS-LAX-HNL is looking pretty good at around £1700 in F
Old Nov 30, 18, 3:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Hodders View Post
Has anyone done the AY OSL-HEL-AGP trip recently, returning on the same aircraft from Malaga? Do Schengen arrivals still drop you into the departures hall at the gate, or do you now need to pass through passport control and then get back to departures?

It was like this at the end of October (deboarding to departure area).
Old Nov 30, 18, 3:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I regard myself as pretty clued up with TP although I must say barely a day goes past without me learning something new, due to this forum and in particular this thread. So I'm asking if anyone has some bright ideas to get me over the gold line.

My TP year ends in June. As of 1st May I will have 720 TP and I have one more more trip to plan. I need to be in Wichita (going storm chasing!) by Friday 17th May and I'll be there a just over a week. I shall travel to Vegas on 25th May for 2 nights intending to fly home on Monday 27th which is a bank holiday. I need a flight that will get me into the UK in the morning as I have commitments in the afternoon.

I think I will need to fly SouthWest from ICT to LAS. It's direct and about £100 as opposed to £300ish on AA with a change. But on my way out to the USA I can be very elaborate and have time to do a TP effective run. Of course, ICT in slap bang in the middle so it makes domestic 140tp legs tricky. although I'd happily consider any West Coast stop on the way out and head back.

Budget is £2k. Any suggestions?
Old Nov 30, 18, 3:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy View Post
TLFL had an article about AA transcon flights from JFK and BOS today. Just had a quick look for next year and JFK-BOS-LAX-HNL is looking pretty good at around £1700 in F
Official AA news for new A321T services between BOS and LAX:

Newsroom - American Airlines Introduces Premium A321T Aircraft to Transcontinental Service Between Los Angeles and Boston - American Airlines Group, Inc.
Old Nov 30, 18, 4:04 am

Out of curiosity, has anyone been able to get the ARN/GOT-HEL-LHR-x-MIA run to work with the A350 on either the inbound or outbound? I.e. evening flight to Helsinki then the 08:00 flight to London heading out, or an overnight getting in early then getting the 10:20-ish to HEL? Or is this disallowed somewhere in the fare rules?
Old Nov 30, 18, 4:30 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by squawk View Post
Out of curiosity, has anyone been able to get the ARN/GOT-HEL-LHR-x-MIA run to work with the A350 on either the inbound or outbound? I.e. evening flight to Helsinki then the 08:00 flight to London heading out, or an overnight getting in early then getting the 10:20-ish to HEL? Or is this disallowed somewhere in the fare rules?
You can get that done with GOT-LHR-HEL-JFK-(X)-MIA if you accept an overnight in HEL. It is likely to be possible with the routing you mention too. So I take it the fare rules allow it
squawk likes this.
Old Nov 30, 18, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by squawk View Post
I got it to work on the way back, going MIA - PHL (overnight) - LHR - HEL - GOT
Old Nov 30, 18, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by thebigben View Post
You can get that done with GOT-LHR-HEL-JFK-(X)-MIA if you accept an overnight in HEL. It is likely to be possible with the routing you mention too. So I take it the fare rules allow it
Thanks @thebigben. I've gone back over the thread to collate some notes and I see several people have managed to get it on the return, e.g. @Ned1968 here.

I think I need to play around with this a little more for specific dates. If I'm going to do this it would need to be sometime in mid-July (ideally leaving ARN/GOT on/after 16th), and I'd like to optimise for the A350 and T3. However, there are trade-offs: the arrival time of the A350 is insufficient to also allow LCY/Babybus.
Old Nov 30, 18, 6:03 am

Programs: BA GGL + CCR, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Best fares (for TPs) to Japan are ex-DME (Moscow) right now. 1600 GBP for DME-LHR-HKG-NRT on lie-flat all the way if you pick the right flights, and that's 640TP. Nothing else comes really close sadly - so much so that I've been pondering Air France for that trip...
Is that a BA fare or CX?
Old Nov 30, 18, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by ubiest View Post
Is that a BA fare or CX?
BA
Old Nov 30, 18, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by ubiest View Post
Is that a BA fare or CX?
It actually is a CX fare, so you're getting the LHR-HKG segment on CX most likely. Which is why it's 140 TP and not 160, I think.
Old Nov 30, 18, 7:17 am

It actually is a CX fare, so you're getting the LHR-HKG segment on CX most likely. Which is why it's 140 TP and not 160, I think.
TP is awarded based on the distance, so earnings would be the same regardless of CX or BA. It's 140 TP on both BA and CX per https://www.britishairways.com/trave...r/public/en_gb.
Old Nov 30, 18, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Originally Posted by florens View Post
It was like this at the end of October (deboarding to departure area).
Brilliant, thank you Florens. I'll take the plunge, and will confirm if it works out for anyone else looking at it.
Old Nov 30, 18, 7:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Hodders View Post
Brilliant, thank you Florens. I'll take the plunge, and will confirm if it works out for anyone else looking at it.
Just FYI: AY is operating A333 with lie flat seats on HEL-AGP on Fridays and Sundays.
Old Nov 30, 18, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
Originally Posted by kingcole974 View Post
I regard myself as pretty clued up with TP although I must say barely a day goes past without me learning something new, due to this forum and in particular this thread. So I'm asking if anyone has some bright ideas to get me over the gold line.

My TP year ends in June. As of 1st May I will have 720 TP and I have one more more trip to plan. I need to be in Wichita (going storm chasing!) by Friday 17th May and I'll be there a just over a week. I shall travel to Vegas on 25th May for 2 nights intending to fly home on Monday 27th which is a bank holiday. I need a flight that will get me into the UK in the morning as I have commitments in the afternoon.

I think I will need to fly SouthWest from ICT to LAS. It's direct and about £100 as opposed to £300ish on AA with a change. But on my way out to the USA I can be very elaborate and have time to do a TP effective run. Of course, ICT in slap bang in the middle so it makes domestic 140tp legs tricky. although I'd happily consider any West Coast stop on the way out and head back.

Budget is £2k. Any suggestions?
Depends on how crazy you want to go, but ex-EU possibilities:

800 Tier Points (680 if you "accidentally" forget to board your flight to Helsinki and stopped in LHR on the way home)

880 Tier Points (760 if you "accidentally" forget to board your flight to Helsinki and stopped in LHR on the way home)

Search this Thread