BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 17, 18, 11:12 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: OWBA
Wiki Link
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last yearsí archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com



From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Nov 10, 18, 11:12 pm
  #4531  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cumbria
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 4,164
Originally Posted by flashware View Post
Had similar, the only alternate airports they offered to me were ABZ. I was flying to INV for a short break up there to do the NC500, so it's stuffed things up a bit... but hey, get lemons ... make lemonade! I was also told LoganAir wasn't an option (mine was an Avios booking) - they could cancel mine and then do a new Avios booking including LoganAir but it would cost more, etc. Not very friendly!



GF or Matrix both work fine. Correct, booked into business class.
I switched from INV to NCL without issue. This was an reward flight connecting to MIA in F. It may or may not have helped that I called the GGL line.
StanStorby likes this.
madfish is offline  
Old Nov 10, 18, 11:14 pm
  #4532  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cumbria
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 4,164
Originally Posted by Schwann View Post
Let's say BA (or AA) agreed to reroute from ABZ/EDI/GLA.. would the passenger be liable for the APD given it's an involuntary change?
I was not asked for this. Although my new flight was at 0705 on day one from MIa and 1040 on day two from LHR. Originally this was within 24 hours so no APD. I assume given the initial change that BA would have swallowed the fee so I didn’t need to.

madfish is offline  
Old Nov 10, 18, 11:17 pm
  #4533  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cumbria
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 4,164
Originally Posted by Nephoi View Post
thanks. awesome dude. but wrong dates ) is it good to book flights this far in advance or should i wait till Feb/Mar 19?
tbh: doesnt matter if 560 TPs or 620 TPs
If you book this far in advance, donít worry if they make changes (which will happen if you have AA flights) then you can request changes to make the routing better for you. You can also cancel depending on the nature of the changes and may even get a better deal at that point in time.
madfish is offline  
Old Nov 10, 18, 11:18 pm
  #4534  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cumbria
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 4,164
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet View Post
OK, I feel like I have been researching this for weeks... in fact it is only a week... but my wife has commented that she would like to see me more than a few minutes a day so I have finally pulled the trigger on a OTP-LHR-JFK-LAX-PHX run in April 19. 1159GBP

It should have yielded 800TP (80+140+140+40=400TP x 2 = 800TP) but I screwed up on the booking and somehow managed to book a AA flight that is operated by Sky West so I don't think I'll get the 40TP I should have got from LAX-PHX. Or will I? It isn't in MMB on BA yet so I'll check when all the itinerary is on the BA.com (it is all on AA.com but only some of it is on BA.com at the moment for some reason!).

However, even with that screw up, it is 760TP for 1159GBP --> 1.52GBP/TP - still pretty good.
Is this an AA or BA issued ticket? BA MMB wonít nexessarily show all AA flights on a booking. I recommend you also use the AA app. Very useful.
snaxmuppet and H2L like this.
madfish is offline  
Old Nov 10, 18, 11:50 pm
  #4535  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Aberdeen
Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver
Posts: 48
Looking to get 300TP in Dec or possibly last week of Nov (any days fine) to get to Gold for the first time. Starting point would be ABZ and ideally in a short a period as possible and under £1k inc hotels, still trying to get to grips with Matrix and have looked at the usual HEL but trying to add in another leg to get the total points needed I can't quite get it to work correctly. Any help gratefully received.
HighlandBoy is offline  
Old Nov 11, 18, 12:53 am
  #4536  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Boston, USA
Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG RA, Amex Plat
Posts: 3
Quick question that I assume those on this thread will know and save a whole new thread being created...

I know if you get offered an upgrade in MMB and take it you get the new TP and Avios associated with that new cabin.

However...

If you are offered the same MMB upgrade on a rewards booking, do you still get them? Or is it still blanked out at 0/0?
ITAdam is offline  
Old Nov 11, 18, 12:57 am
  #4537  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 53
Originally Posted by ITAdam View Post
Quick question that I assume those on this thread will know and save a whole new thread being created...

I know if you get offered an upgrade in MMB and take it you get the new TP and Avios associated with that new cabin.

However...

If you are offered the same MMB upgrade on a rewards booking, do you still get them? Or is it still blanked out at 0/0?
Nope, afraid not. A rewards booking will always not earn TP or Avios regardless of whether it's upgraded.
BA707 is offline  
Old Nov 11, 18, 12:58 am
  #4538  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cumbria
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 4,164
Originally Posted by ITAdam View Post
Quick question that I assume those on this thread will know and save a whole new thread being created...

I know if you get offered an upgrade in MMB and take it you get the new TP and Avios associated with that new cabin.

However...

If you are offered the same MMB upgrade on a rewards booking, do you still get them? Or is it still blanked out at 0/0?
You wonít receive avios or TPs when taking a POUG for a reward flight.
madfish is offline  
Old Nov 11, 18, 1:00 am
  #4539  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cumbria
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 4,164
Originally Posted by HighlandBoy View Post
Looking to get 300TP in Dec or possibly last week of Nov (any days fine) to get to Gold for the first time. Starting point would be ABZ and ideally in a short a period as possible and under £1k inc hotels, still trying to get to grips with Matrix and have looked at the usual HEL but trying to add in another leg to get the total points needed I can't quite get it to work correctly. Any help gratefully received.
Have you tried ABZ/LHR/HEL/ARN? Should earn 320TPs. You could always try starting at INV as well as this will save you £78 as no APD. You can return to ABZ.

Edit. From ABZ you are looking at £1100, but from LHR you can get it for £650. Would then just need to position from ABZ to LHR.

HighlandBoy likes this.
madfish is offline  
Old Nov 11, 18, 1:01 am
  #4540  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Boston, USA
Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG RA, Amex Plat
Posts: 3
Thanks both of you!

That settles it, £250 to upgrade to WT+ on a BOS-LHR is nowhere near worth it on Thanksgiving when the flight will be empty anyway!
ITAdam is offline  
Old Nov 11, 18, 1:05 am
  #4541  
H2L
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet View Post
OK, I feel like I have been researching this for weeks... in fact it is only a week... but my wife has commented that she would like to see me more than a few minutes a day so I have finally pulled the trigger on a OTP-LHR-JFK-LAX-PHX run in April 19. 1159GBP

It should have yielded 800TP (80+140+140+40=400TP x 2 = 800TP) but I screwed up on the booking and somehow managed to book a AA flight that is operated by Sky West so I don't think I'll get the 40TP I should have got from LAX-PHX. Or will I? It isn't in MMB on BA yet so I'll check when all the itinerary is on the BA.com (it is all on AA.com but only some of it is on BA.com at the moment for some reason!).

However, even with that screw up, it is 760TP for 1159GBP --> 1.52GBP/TP - still pretty good.
Just done almost exactly the same! Same date, same fare, but all BA/AA. Did the same routing in August this year so really should broaden my horizons - but it's such a bargain and in the second week of a new TP year will get me well on the way to retaining gold and setting the platform for GUFs..?
(Must just say a quick thank you to all the selfless souls on FT who give so freely of their knowledge and encouragement - people like KARFA, CWS, onobond etc. Without you ... Etc etc etc &#128522
snaxmuppet likes this.
H2L is offline  
Old Nov 11, 18, 3:22 am
  #4542  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Aberdeen
Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by madfish View Post


Have you tried ABZ/LHR/HEL/ARN? Should earn 320TPs. You could always try starting at INV as well as this will save you £78 as no APD. You can return to ABZ.

Edit. From ABZ you are looking at £1100, but from LHR you can get it for £650. Would then just need to position from ABZ to LHR.

Thanks for the idea madfish I hadn't thought of ARN, just need to find a hotel now and get it booked.
HighlandBoy is offline  
Old Nov 11, 18, 4:46 am
  #4543  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Programs: BA Executive Club
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by H2L View Post
Just done almost exactly the same! Same date, same fare, but all BA/AA. Did the same routing in August this year so really should broaden my horizons - but it's such a bargain and in the second week of a new TP year will get me well on the way to retaining gold and setting the platform for GUFs..?
(Must just say a quick thank you to all the selfless souls on FT who give so freely of their knowledge and encouragement - people like KARFA, CWS, onobond etc. Without you ... Etc etc etc &#128522
iíve just booked the OTP - PHX run too for about £1170 but leaving on 20 April and a 1 night turnaround. For some reason the prices have come back down a little as I had been seeing £1400 + for this TP run. Canít wait!
snaxmuppet likes this.
captaincox is offline  
Old Nov 11, 18, 5:51 am
  #4544  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cumbria
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 4,164
@snaxmuppet @H2L @captaincox

If you are all travel around the same dates/routes feel free to start a new thread and you may get some more takers. TP runs and meeting up with others along the way are always fun.

If only I wasn’t away just before then I might have been tempted to join you guys!
snaxmuppet likes this.
madfish is offline  
Old Nov 11, 18, 6:59 am
  #4545  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sheffield, UK
Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Red, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Priority Pass,
Posts: 121
Originally Posted by captaincox View Post


iíve just booked the OTP - PHX run too for about £1170 but leaving on 20 April and a 1 night turnaround. For some reason the prices have come back down a little as I had been seeing £1400 + for this TP run. Canít wait!
Is there a way to stick a hotel in PHX to the booking and make it a ďholidayĒ and therefore only pay £150 upfront? Iíve tried but only get the option to pay all upfront.
sahajesh is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread