Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
Question

Originally Posted by madfish

Try booking the last available flight of the day from LAX to JFK.
I am actually looking at doing this trip but no matter what I do I can't get the routing back from Phoenix to go via LAX so that I have the comfort of the Transcon back to JFK. Any ideas?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by IrishStephen
I am actually looking at doing this trip but no matter what I do I can't get the routing back from Phoenix to go via LAX so that I have the comfort of the Transcon back to JFK. Any ideas?
Think you need to find a flight with availability in both A and I on the LAX-JFK, which can be pretty limited. Have you checked expertflyer?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
Originally Posted by wingtip428

Think you need to find a flight with availability in both A and I on the LAX-JFK, which can be pretty limited. Have you checked expertflyer?
There doesn't seem to be much there. I will just pull the trigger on flying back from PHX-JFK as the tier points gained will be enough. Thanks for the comment
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by wingtip428
If booking the A class DIF fare then yes. A class is rarely much of an issue on the transcons. The trick is to probably try and find availability booking it as an I class in Matrix, and then upgrade later. Doing a search with f bc=I in the advanced fare codes probably would do the trick.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Beaulieu
If booking the A class DIF fare then yes. A class is rarely much of an issue on the transcons. The trick is to probably try and find availability booking it as an I class in Matrix, and then upgrade later. Doing a search with f bc=I in the advanced fare codes probably would do the trick.
Am I missing something with these fares? Went to ticket online but as my card was not US based it wouldn't let me so I placed the flight on hold. Called AA and they tell me without a US based card its a NO GO! Anyone had this issue before and find a way around?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by IrishStephen
Am I missing something with these fares? Went to ticket online but as my card was not US based it wouldn't let me so I placed the flight on hold. Called AA and they tell me without a US based card its a NO GO! Anyone had this issue before and find a way around?
Not had this issue and have booked three of them, although two were set up for me using powertools so no need to call. Not had anybody else report issues with this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:46 am

Try booking the last available flight of the day from LAX to JFK.
Hi there, I just got off the phone with another agent in AA and the flight is ticketed. I have to say a HUGE Thank You for posting this. I have bought the ticket and will be positioning on the 31st March if anyone is around. Thank you all who post here and help people like myself its very much appreciated.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:12 am

Dear all,
please excuse me if my question is stupid:
I'm trying to achieve BA Gold this year (missing 120 TP's). I'v read this thread and stumbled over the LHR-BIO fare. I've found a routing via google which would allow me to fly two times the A340 to a reasonable price (£243). Nevertheless, when clicking through google and also via copy and paste of the ITA routing in bookwithmatrix.com i can't replicate this price. It goes up to £391. Does any of the ITA pro's have a suggestion for me or can tell me what i'm doing wrong?
Thank you in advance

Last edited by saschp; Jan 14, 2018 at 11:32 am Reason: spelling
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: BA Gold and Virgin Gold, HH Diamond
Does anyone have any knowledge on a B2B in OTP? Is this viable? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by davy1974
Does anyone have any knowledge on a B2B in OTP? Is this viable? Thanks in advance.
I hope so otherwise quite a few of us are stuffed.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29017017-post1919.html

Gastrocnemius and Scallywag72 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by Jamier45

How much are stopovers on this itin?

is this fare still available? can't seem to price it / replicate it on the ita matrix?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver,
Lots of availability in March for LGW-CTA return for around £230 in CE netting 160TP. Its not LHR-HEL-TLL but not to be sniffed at. Starting ex JER doesn't add too much to the price and means LGW connection. 240 TP for around £320 and with flights to JER being so plentiful from everywhere in the UK opens it up to many like myself who find LGW a nightmare to get to.
BlackSkyuk and mickeyjaw like this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ermen
is this fare still available? can't seem to price it / replicate it on the ita matrix?
Yes but you need to be very specific. There were limited seats left in the I bucket last time I looked. Best to try for the red eye.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Yes but you need to be very specific. There were limited seats left in the I bucket last time I looked. Best to try for the red eye.

Finally found it thanks but seem to be pricing it at £2143 instead of the ~£1970 above

Last edited by ermen; Jan 15, 2018 at 3:05 am Reason: finally found the fare
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Can't quote the original post for some reason on IE, but on the Catania fare, I'm doing this ex JER in April. Couple of notes:1) You can arrange it so the JER legs are the day before the flight to Catania (and the day after return) in the evening. I'm doing this essentially as a B2B jaunt after work, then in the Catania flight.2) Air BNB is your friend for inexpensive accommodation near the airport

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.