Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Noted a nice find on France-NA in the main Premium Fare Deals thread :

Oneworld: France - North America, East and West, 1380-1480€

Elaborated a little on the YVR alternatives, and was happy to find the first options being routing via LHR and JFK, with JFK-YVR & vv on CX, a very good NA transcon alternative. But the fare also allows for CDG-LHR-JFK-LAX-YVR r/t, at first search BA prefix on all flights but LAX-YVR-LAX, for £1446. Breaking the inbound in LAX enables a 'transfer' of 25h16m, despite layovers not permitted on this fare.

Fare basis: ILX5T1S6
Tickets to be issued on/before Sept 25
IFE Wizard and Lefly like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teledude
I and others still regularly do the AMS shuffle to change airports
Well, there certainly aren't many direct Oneworld flights, earning 80 TPs, are there?

Reminds me of times I did more domestic MR in US, LAX-SJC-SNA r/t was a cheap alternative, when AA still only was mileage-based. Did two of these returns in one day once, but never again...
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Originally Posted by IFE Wizard
I am sure many other have done this before. When the DUB-HNL flights were cheap, it allowed a routing through LCY to JFK. Returning one time I had LCY-DUB-LHR. I live close to LHR and told my inquisitive friends that this was easier than crossing London in the rush hour.
I did that very route last weekend for a trip to visit a friend in Kildare! (Not the bit to HNL obvs)

I use LCY/LHR almost interchangeably according to which is offering the best price/times. On a good tube day, the difference in travel time from where I am (Piccadilly vs District/Circle / Jubilee / DLR) is minimal although I technically live closer to LHR. If I have luggage, I'll go to LHR rather than faff with tube changes.

Despite the cheapness of the flights, I'm strangely never drawn to LGW...
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: NH AMC, EY Guest Silver,MPC GO
Originally Posted by onobond
Noted a nice find on France-NA in the main Premium Fare Deals thread :

Oneworld: France - North America, East and West, 1380-1480€

Elaborated a little on the YVR alternatives, and was happy to find the first options being routing via LHR and JFK, with JFK-YVR & vv on CX, a very good NA transcon alternative. But the fare also allows for CDG-LHR-JFK-LAX-YVR r/t, at first search BA prefix on all flights but LAX-YVR-LAX, for £1446. Breaking the inbound in LAX enables a 'transfer' of 25h16m, despite layovers not permitted on this fare.

Fare basis: ILX5T1S6
Tickets to be issued on/before Sept 25

any example to share?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydneyguy1234
any example to share?
Are you familiar with ITA Matrix?

The example is actually in the post, Search without route spec for intended stay duration, use cheapest days for outbound, dito +/-1 for first inbound segment, the rest next day. After that try to elaborate by splitting yet more, if wanted.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:41 pm

Are you familiar with ITA Matrix?

The example is actually in the post, Search without route spec for intended stay duration, use cheapest days for outbound, dito +/-1 for first inbound segment, the rest next day. After that try to elaborate by splitting yet more, if wanted.
Not particularly familiar with ITA, was able to find all flights under AA prefix but seems use LAX as a destination will go to roughly USD 2k
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not particularly familiar with ITA, was able to find all flights under AA prefix but seems use LAX as a destination will go to roughly USD 2k
That's >$100 than the equivalent of £1446.

See previous post. After search for CDG-YVR r/t for price, use cheapest dates for search outbound CDG-YVR via lhr jfk lax as first 'flight, YVR-LAX as second and LAX-CDG via jfk lhr as third.

Presently on phone, cant post screenshots
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: Iberia, BAEC GOLD/ Priority Club : ROYAL Amb / Miles and More: SEN
Hi,

I am from 5 October till 9 October in Lax. Tried to find some TP-run but did not see any worthwhile.

Any of you have some ideas? my dates are not flexible and need to be done in those days.

Can even be a mileage run for the Aegean loyalty. (Star alliance)
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:55 am

That's >$100 than the equivalent of £1446.

See previous post. After search for CDG-YVR r/t for price, use cheapest dates for search outbound CDG-YVR via lhr jfk lax as first 'flight, YVR-LAX as second and LAX-CDG via jfk lhr as third.

Presently on phone, cant post screenshots

was looking for a trip to LAX to maximize TP and the 4 BA sector to qualify my BAEC gold for the coming year, it seems not too much option to create such creative routing.

perhaps I am not familiar with ITA so cant replicates something like yours.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
was looking for a trip to LAX to maximize TP and the 4 BA sector to qualify my BAEC gold for the coming year, it seems not too much option to create such creative routing.

perhaps I am not familiar with ITA so cant replicates something like yours.
Have a look at the linked thread with the CDG-US deal, LAX alas is not one of the specified end points that will get the offer price.
Thus you could
A) build an itinerary to other points that do have the fare, then take a cheap flight to get to Los Angeles, or
B) add a stopover in LAX (more difficult to plan, but easier in practice) as mentioned upthread, or
C) bite the bullet and pay the higher fare to LAX.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:01 am

Hi All,

I am looking to renew my BA Gold status within the next month. What are the obvious current options with lowest £ / TP ratio?
Last time, about 2 years back I re-qualified via a super attractive exEU to HNL flight (I think I collected 1100 TPs on that RT flight alone).

Now I basically need 1,500 TPs, prepared to leave asap, ex Europe in the direction of Americas, want to minimise £ and maximise TPs.
This is my goal for the next month. Once done that, will try to go for GGL by end of November (would be looking to go east from Europe)

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Ty
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Originally Posted by nevaspb
Hi All,

I am looking to renew my BA Gold status within the next month. What are the obvious current options with lowest £ / TP ratio?
Last time, about 2 years back I re-qualified via a super attractive exEU to HNL flight (I think I collected 1100 TPs on that RT flight alone).

Now I basically need 1,500 TPs, prepared to leave asap, ex Europe in the direction of Americas, want to minimise £ and maximise TPs.
This is my goal for the next month. Once done that, will try to go for GGL by end of November (would be looking to go east from Europe)

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Ty
There are a number of options further up the post that i wont regurgitate here. Get a coffee and read through - very educational and worthy of an hour of your time.

Look for OTP, HEL, PHX as a starter and also look for DXB-CMB-CGK. You wont find it easy to do both Gold and GGL in those timeframes, these days, i'm afraid, but good luck. wj
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:36 am

Thanks, wanderingjock
I am going thru a lot of posts now, and trying out options.
Wanted to see if there is a specific hot / available right now itinerary that fits my goal.
Will try those airports. If you or anyone else has anything specific, I will be grateful

p.s. why hard to get Gold within 1 month? I understand that 5k by end of Nov might be challenging (given my budget is not unlimited) but I think Gold is quite realistic. Curious to know your view here
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life, CCR, VS Silver, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by nevaspb
Thanks, wanderingjock
p.s. why hard to get Gold within 1 month? I understand that 5k by end of Nov might be challenging (given my budget is not unlimited) but I think Gold is quite realistic. Curious to know your view here
It's not hard to get gold in one month but very difficult and expensive to get it in the NEXT month.

Most airlines have a 30 day booking period. If you want to book flights within this period you will see all the prices raised to exorbitant prices. Look at prices for November onwards and you will find the cheaper options.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:59 am

If you haven't got a single TP since last reaching gold, is it really worth it given little travel? Just a thought.

Anyway, why not wait till your new TP year, do it in the first 2 months (where you'll still have gold status) and then you get the status for 2 years?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.