BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 17, 18, 11:12 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: OWBA
Wiki Link
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last yearsí archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Aug 17, 18, 8:58 am

My status year is up on 8 Jan. i am 710 short of retaining gold. I am beginning to get a bit jittery about the lack of West Coast runs available. I was planning to do a OTP-PHX in November as I can’t do December but have missed the boat on that. What is the likelihood of something ex-Europe coming up in the next couple of months? I made up my shortfall last year on TLL runs, another option taken away.
Old Aug 17, 18, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
Originally Posted by wilsnunn View Post
Hi everybody,

My wife and I are looking at going to California for a week in mid-November. We will only be flying economy, but I am wondering if there is a way to maximise TPs flying LON-SFO and then LAX-LON? From what I have read, there will not be any POUGs as it is an open jaw route? In which case, would we be better booking LON-SFO-LON and then a separate LAX-SFO ticket (assuming prices are sensible).

Should I be looking for LON-SFO with as many stop overs as possible, and then a single LAX-SFO?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this isn't the right place to post this question.

Hi all,

Following on from this, I have found a flight combo that will give me 65 Tier Points (not much I know, but better than 40...) the problem is that when I called BA to book it, they said that I cannot as there isn't 3 hours between two of the flights, and when the flights were combined into one journey, it doubled the price. The route is

- LHR-MAN-PHL
- PHL-SFO
- LAX-LHR

But the flight from PHL leaves 2hr 45mins after it lands (arr. 14:10 & dep. 15:55). If I book the later ticket, I will end up waiting in PHL for far too long.

If anybody has a way around this, then I would be most appreciative!
Old Aug 17, 18, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, RCI Diamond
Originally Posted by madfish View Post

Where are you based?
Oh yeah! That may help. LCY is closest, but any London airports are fine.
Old Aug 17, 18, 3:42 pm

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Ambassador
I need about 225 TP before 8 Dec and best I found to do it (which kinda makes sense destinationwise) is BRU-LHR-OTP which nets 240 TP. Kinda pricey though at about a good 600 EUR.
Any other ideas BRU/AMS/DUS/FRA/LUX based?
Old Aug 17, 18, 5:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avis PC, (Hilton, Accor, SPG, Radisson) Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
For me the best prices were on DUB - LHR - HEL and back. Found around 440 EUR, if you add LCY DUB Friday evening-Sunday evening that's 320 TPs for about 550GBP. November was still an option last week when I looked.
The Wolf and Scallywag72 like this.
Old Aug 17, 18, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by josepciv View Post
Hi all!
Does anyone know if there have been any changes in the TP earned in PE short haul, at least in Cathay Pacific?
I'm flying CX (BCN-)HKG-KIX /// NRT-HKG(-MAD) in PE. According to the BA TP table in OP I should collect 100 TP for each intercontinental sector and 30 TPs for each regional sector, but according to the BA Avios and TP calculator I'll only earn 25 TP per regional sector. Which should I trust, the table or the calculator?
Thanks!
It should only be 90TP per sector for long haul, are you sure on 100TP?
Old Aug 17, 18, 9:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Flying Blue Peon, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by flashware View Post
It should only be 90TP per sector for long haul, are you sure on 100TP?
BCN and MAD are both >6000 miles from HKG, so I think 100 is correct.
Old Aug 17, 18, 11:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL/CCR, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by etiene View Post

BCN and MAD are both >6000 miles from HKG, so I think 100 is correct.
Yes itís 100 - I once had an IRROPS HKG-MAD in PE in CX and 100 posted. Have to say it was a very comfortable ride to MAD.
Old Aug 18, 18, 1:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, FB Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by alex67500 View Post
For me the best prices were on DUB - LHR - HEL and back. Found around 440 EUR, if you add LCY DUB Friday evening-Sunday evening that's 320 TPs for about 550GBP. November was still an option last week when I looked.
Thank you. Come the end of this month I will be 220 TPs short of acquiring CCR access so this looks like the best option for me so far to push it over the line...
Old Aug 18, 18, 1:40 am

Programs: BA GGL (90% to Lifetime Gold), SPG convert from IHG (and Marriott fan now!)
Originally Posted by Scallywag72 View Post
Thank you. Come the end of this month I will be 220 TPs short of acquiring CCR access so this looks like the best option for me so far to push it over the line...
depending on preferences you could try to do the following
- ET booking to DUB and plan for POUG (so hopefully 40 TPS)
- DUB-LHR-HEL-LHR (200 TPs)

could save some time and a bit of cash, albeit a risk the POUG doesnít appear at a sensible price
Old Aug 18, 18, 4:18 am

Programs: AA : BA
Originally Posted by wilsnunn View Post
Hi all,

Following on from this, I have found a flight combo that will give me 65 Tier Points (not much I know, but better than 40...) the problem is that when I called BA to book it, they said that I cannot as there isn't 3 hours between two of the flights, and when the flights were combined into one journey, it doubled the price. The route is

- LHR-MAN-PHL
- PHL-SFO
- LAX-LHR

But the flight from PHL leaves 2hr 45mins after it lands (arr. 14:10 & dep. 15:55). If I book the later ticket, I will end up waiting in PHL for far too long.

If anybody has a way around this, then I would be most appreciative!
You can book this online as one ticket with American, 1 hr 45m doesn't give you much wiggle room though - do you have Global Entry and carry on only? AA will protect you in case of IRROPS however.
Old Aug 18, 18, 6:07 am

Need 300 TP for Gold

Any advice on getting 300 TP (to get to Gold) before mid Nov ? Cost is the determining factor - not sure how much it's worth paying to get there so just seeing what the options might be !!
MAN would be ideal but ok with LON and fine with positioning subject to cost.

Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited by petez; Aug 18, 18 at 2:55 pm Reason: location
Old Aug 18, 18, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP/LTP 4MM, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH Dia, SPG Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by petez View Post
Any advice on getting 300 TP (to get to Gold) before mid Nov ? Cost is the determining factor - not sure how much it's worth paying to get there so just seeing what the options might be !!

Thanks in advance for any help

Where are you based? Are you prepared to do positioning flights?
Old Aug 18, 18, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by onobond View Post
Where are you based? Are you prepared to do positioning flights?
Sorry - should have noted in original post. Have revised.
Thanks
Old Aug 18, 18, 2:52 pm

Duplicate

Search this Thread