Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:57 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by madfish

An easy option would be LHR/HEL/OSL for around £500 earning 240TPs in J.
Yup!
Just put a little effort into Google Flights and found a number of LHR/HEL/OSL suitable dates for £526 *thumbs up*
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ebwoy
Yup!
Just put a little effort into Google Flights and found a number of LHR/HEL/OSL suitable dates for £526 *thumbs up*
an alternative is DUB-LHR-HEL rtn in J for £406 which also earns 240 TPs - although this requires positioning to DUB.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:31 am

Looking for 230TPs ex NCL before 7 September

First TP run so tried Matrix for the first time which came up with NCL/LHR/HEL/LHR/NCL for 240 TPs on 5 September for £582 as the cheapest run to HEL over the month ending 7 September. All flights completed in 1 day starting at 0605 and arriving back at 2215. Google Flights says £567. BA online says no availability but could this be because of the HEL turnround - BA 794 arrives 1620 and departs back to London as BA799 at 1710? May I ask those in the know:

1. Is it unusual to have different pricing between Matrix and Google Flights?
2. In the same way as with the Oslo connection, am I able to wait at the gate for re-boarding at HEL assuming I have my BPs?
3. Are there other routes that I should be checking?

Grateful for any advice.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by flusters
Looking for 230TPs ex NCL before 7 September

First TP run so tried Matrix for the first time which came up with NCL/LHR/HEL/LHR/NCL for 240 TPs on 5 September for £582 as the cheapest run to HEL over the month ending 7 September. All flights completed in 1 day starting at 0605 and arriving back at 2215. Google Flights says £567. BA online says no availability but could this be because of the HEL turnround - BA 794 arrives 1620 and departs back to London as BA799 at 1710? May I ask those in the know:

1. Is it unusual to have different pricing between Matrix and Google Flights?
2. In the same way as with the Oslo connection, am I able to wait at the gate for re-boarding at HEL assuming I have my BPs?
3. Are there other routes that I should be checking?

Grateful for any advice.
I’ve not checked what MCT is at HEL but Ba.com won’t sell tickets that have less than 2 hours between arrival and departure. However, if you call BA will sell the ticket if it observes MCT.

As for price difference I can only assume that this is because matrix prices up with the additional fee that is charged agents but google flights will direct you to BA so no fee.

Cannot help with the arrival/departure at HEL as never done a B2B there.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
You tend to come in on buses at HEL for BA, but back into the main terminal airside (non Schengen) as I recall so B2B isn't too bad. There can be a lot of walking though depending on where the return gate is.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:59 pm

I’ve not checked what MCT is at HEL but Ba.com won’t sell tickets that have less than 2 hours between arrival and departure. However, if you call BA will sell the ticket if it observes MCT.

As for price difference I can only assume that this is because matrix prices up with the additional fee that is charged agents but google flights will direct you to BA so no fee.

Cannot help with the arrival/departure at HEL as never done a B2B there.
Thanks very much Madfish.

I had checked the wiki on the B2B thread for HEL and it was shown as feasible but will have to call BA and ask whether they will sell the ticket - or not!

Very grateful for your help and the reason for the pricing differential.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by bisonrav
You tend to come in on buses at HEL for BA, but back into the main terminal airside (non Schengen) as I recall so B2B isn't too bad. There can be a lot of walking though depending on where the return gate is.
Thanks very much bisonrav. I appreciate the input.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flusters
Thanks very much Madfish.

I had checked the wiki on the B2B thread for HEL and it was shown as feasible but will have to call BA and ask whether they will sell the ticket - or not!

Very grateful for your help and the reason for the pricing differential.
MCT for a BA-BA flight at HEL seems to be 40mins so as long at the turnaround is the same or more BA can book it over the phone.

B2B is easy at HEL. There is no passport or security check. Even with a bus once you are at the terminal it is a short walk to the departing gate. Arrival and departure is all within the non-Schengen area at the end of the terminal.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:10 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Just tried OTP-PHX J for March-April 2019 and it comes in at £1491 for me in ITA.
Repositioning MAN-OST is not bad at £228 Y £502 J

Interested in what folks who have done this have done for sleeping arrangements.

What are the other options elsewhere through this epic?
GLO or the Hilton at HEL seem to be £100+
Sounds like the airport hotel in OTP is ok. (so 2*£60 for that?)
And there's reasonable cheap and accessible hotels in PHX.
So it's going to be £400+ plus for hotels if I want to keep the itinerary reasonably safe.

Just need a little more confidence before jumping in

Last edited by DeathSlam; Jul 10, 2018 at 2:06 pm Reason: Corrected airport
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Just tried OST-PHX J for March-April 2019 and it comes in at £1491 for me in ITA.

Interested in what folks who have done this have done for sleeping arrangements.

Sounds like the airport hotel in OST is ok. (so 2*£60 for that?)
So it's going to be £400+ plus for hotels if I want to keep the itinerary reasonably safe.

OST is Ostend/Brugge. Do you not mean OTP which is Bucharest?

I’ve not stayed at the Hilton at HEL but am there in a couple of weeks for 4 nights. Other reports suggest it is fine. Plenty of decently priced hotels available in OTP and PHX.

Just keep an eye on connection times and feel free to post your itinerary on here if you want anybody to check and offer advice.

The PHX do thread which you can link to from my signature below is also worth a look with lots of info on hotels and connections etc.

Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA

MCT for a BA-BA flight at HEL seems to be 40mins so as long at the turnaround is the same or more BA can book it over the phone.

B2B is easy at HEL. There is no passport or security check. Even with a bus once you are at the terminal it is a short walk to the departing gate. Arrival and departure is all within the non-Schengen area at the end of the terminal.
That's great news Karfa. Just need to free up 5 September now and will know the answer on that in about 10 days.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:27 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
OST is Ostend/Brugge. Do you not mean OTP which is Bucharest?

Corrected thanks.

I’ve not stayed at the Hilton at HEL but am there in a couple of weeks for 4 nights. Other reports suggest it is fine. Plenty of decently priced hotels available in OTP and PHX.

Just keep an eye on connection times and feel free to post your itinerary on here if you want anybody to check and offer advice.

The PHX do thread which you can link to from my signature below is also worth a look with lots of info on hotels and connections etc.
Just trying to be realistic that this points run is at least a £2500 proposition in total. But it does get a lot of points!
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Just tried OTP-PHX J for March-April 2019 and it comes in at £1491 for me in ITA.

Sounds like the airport hotel in OST is ok. (so 2*£60 for that?)

For Bucharest, I would make a suggestion that you consider the Crowne Plaza or some hotel other than the RIN Airport Hotel. I think you'll be surprised at how inexpensive even the best hotels are in Bucharest, as well as taxis/ubers (you collect your uber across the road from the arrivals hall, on the top floor of the car park; taxis are ordered from a yellow kiosk on either side of the arrivals door just outside customs). The Crowne Plaza is not too far, maybe a 15 min drive down what is in all practicality a motorway.

I also have stayed at the Hilton Helsinki Airport, and it is quite nice, and quite an easy walk under a covered walkway from arrivals. Just follow the signs, the only tricky part is that half-way through the walk, you go up one floor in a lift or stairs. It's well marked though, and simple and safe. I even did it in January without a jacket.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
The Malaysian Dehli to Perth deal is back with no minimum stay

DEL - KUL - SYD - PER - SYD - KUL - DEL

You can get most of it on A330 Metal too. ~£1000 for 800TPs Wide open till June 2019 book by 18th I believe (July)

CX_newbie likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:25 pm
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
I'm starting to reach my wits' end on this OTP-PHX fare -- would someone mind pointing me in the right direction?

I've checked on EF and there is availability in "I" class for all of the dates selected below (including on the US domestic flights), but it keeps getting forced into higher fare buckets:

resulting in this:

How might I go about getting this to price with about one less digit?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by BA Humbug; Jul 10, 2018 at 2:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.