Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Keep it Riel
I may be stretching the topic slightly but has anyone done a PDX trip yet? I'm there from 23:00 to 18:00 the next day so am thinking of crashing close to the airport and heading into town for the day the next morning. Any recommendations on the hotel options at the airport?
The airport hotels are surprisingly expensive. Aloft and Hyatt Place are at Cascades, which is convenient for taking the train into the city the next day. Sheraton and Hampton are closest to the hotel.
Keep it Riel likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Lefly
Another question about the OTP-PHX run.
I remember having read a checked bag can't transit two times at the same airport. But how it's managed in cases like the OTP run, when you can have LHR-XXX-LHR-YYY-PHX (or the other way around) on single ticket?
Has the bag to be claimed anyway at XXX and rechecked, no matter if it's an overnight or a day time layover? Or the bag is tagged to go directly to destination, regardless its owner routing?

And since we're talking about checked luggage... (yes, blasphemy, I know ) ...If you check a carry-on, can you pick it up at the first US point of entry e do not recheck it, bringing it on board all the subsequent flights?
1. Yes, if luggage is checked like OTP-LHR-HEL bag(s) must be claimed and re-checked for subsequent flight/s HEL-LHR and eventually further. If, doing a B2B at HEL, it's more convenient to store the bag at Left Luggage, arrivals level T5.

2. Yes, having checked in a bag for the TATL flight, you'll be fine to take it along for further flights as a carry-on after passing immigration/customs. Provided bag fits carry-on limitations , of course
Lefly likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Exec Club - Gold
Hi all,

So a complete ITA novice here! I've managed to construct the attached itinerary, which initially I thought I'd done very well on! However after adding up the tier points it seems to only total 700 (boo!). What've I done wrong/what should I be looking at doing to make it more points worthy/generally better!

As usual thanks to everyone for all their help!

Cheers!
Old May 26, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

If instead of PHX-DFW-JFK you could route PHX-JFK non stop you would get an extra 60 tier points ( 140 for the non stop PHX-JFK vs 40+40 for PHX-DFW-JFK)

The AA legs would need to be coded into F, P or A class ( IIRC) to get the F class tier points ( ie 210 for JFK-LAX) as even though you are booked in F you will be earning Business tier points as per BAEC policy

Regards

TBS

It is still a very good fare for the tier points IMHO

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; May 26, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Old May 26, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
You need to route the return PHX-LAX-JFK-LHR-OTP. By routing via DFW you are losing the benefit of the 140pts for the transcontinental leg from LAX to JFK. That way your entire itinerary will yield 800 pts
Old May 26, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH, EK, QR
Deleted

Last edited by GK1981; May 26, 2018 at 11:57 am Reason: Someone beat me to it.
Old May 26, 2018, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by flyer_tom
Hi all,

So a complete ITA novice here! I've managed to construct the attached itinerary, which initially I thought I'd done very well on! However after adding up the tier points it seems to only total 700 (boo!). What've I done wrong/what should I be looking at doing to make it more points worthy/generally better!

As usual thanks to everyone for all their help!

Cheers!
My suggestion is to just break down the reservation in four bits:

1. OTP-LAX, 27/8 preferred time morning, routing codes LHR JFK. Doing this you can have the earlier transcon AA133 1700-2026. Three hours earlier in LA is good for you after a long day, and it's going to be an early rise next day See comment below on hotel option for convenience.

2. LAX-PHX on 28/8, don't bother with details, the (too) early AA767 0600-0730 is the only flight available for the low price you opt for

3. PHX-LAX can be done on early morning 29/8, but haven't you done some early mornings in a row already? There is a misunderstanding that the return from the destination must be on Sunday. That's not correct, the TATL does, though. I would search for 28/8 and give preferred timing morning, midday and afternoon. That way you can do a B2B in PHX returning with AA760 at 1002, AA899 at 1400 or, if you prefer the dry desert heat in PHX before the Pacific breeze summer climate in LA, even later. Here's an other advantage besides the climate: make a reservation for two hotel nights in LA, thus leaving bags and stuff not needed for two 1.5h flights and some lounge time in PHX. Taking the AA760 leaves a lot of time to explore LA, perhaps rent a small car and go to one of many available beaches?

4. LAX-OTP for 29/8, routing codes JFK LHR, preferred time morning. By this little cunning plan you will have the choice of starting 0800 with AA307, an hour later with AA002 or even have a sleep-in and take AA238 at 1030. Don't miss the opportunity to spend some time in th Admirals Club or the QF lounge in TBIT. The 0900 departure will still leave you with a choice of most evening flights TATL and some ample lounge time. Arriving OTP at 1700 just as your example.

My proposed itinerary is priced the same as you got. If you have a BA Amex, you might consider clicking for BA flight prefix when you get the menu for #4 above, £9 more, if the extra Avios are worth that

TP earnings as mentioned above is (80+140+140+40 ) x 2 = 800, i.e. 1.625 £/TP
jackfrancis1 likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Might not be possible over a weekend and midweek fares tend to be cheaper on the HEL flights, but if you can get yourself to HEL you can do a one way HEL-LHR-AMS on BA for 120 TPs for £227, and then AMS-LGW-JER for £298 return. Total of 280TPs and £525 (around €600).
Unfortunately due to time and price constraints positioning to HEL is not really an option. I had a short look, a positioning to HEL starts at 170 € which contradicts the cheap TP run flights. Are there maybe any other option?
Or do you see any change to book somewhere the routiing to AGP I found in the matrix? I couldn't reproduce the price of 750 anywhere.
Old May 27, 2018, 12:13 pm
bil

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum
Hi,

I will be in the SFO bay area around the 10-13 of August. I am thinking about doing a TP Run to get me from 600 to 1500 arriving on Spain or UK on the 16th? I wouldn't mind going the long way round with some stopovers in Asia. Any suggestions?

Than you
Old May 27, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: Baec Bronze
Originally Posted by basti1989
Unfortunately due to time and price constraints positioning to HEL is not really an option. I had a short look, a positioning to HEL starts at 170 € which contradicts the cheap TP run flights. Are there maybe any other option?
Or do you see any change to book somewhere the routiing to AGP I found in the matrix? I couldn't reproduce the price of 750 anywhere.
Hi basti
Try position flight to tallinn and a short ferry hop over to Helsinki i have seen some Air Baltic flights for low as £33 one way and a 2 hour ferry crossing from 17 euros.
Old May 28, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Aeroplan
Hi All,

I'm currently Silver and thinking about a tier point run to get to Gold before the end of my year - 8th Sept.

I have to go to LHR-LAX (via any route) at the end of June (looking at WT+), returning end of July and then again LHR-LAX at the end of Aug returning late Oct (so the return wouldn't be in my earning year). I need to get 700 tier points. My WT+ flights would get me 300 or so, but need to make up the rest. I have time during these trips to do some runs so any thoughts/ideas would be fantastic!

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

James
Old May 28, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by greenmeadie
Hi All,

I'm currently Silver and thinking about a tier point run to get to Gold before the end of my year - 8th Sept.

I have to go to LHR-LAX (via any route) at the end of June (looking at WT+), returning end of July and then again LHR-LAX at the end of Aug returning late Oct (so the return wouldn't be in my earning year). I need to get 700 tier points. My WT+ flights would get me 300 or so, but need to make up the rest. I have time during these trips to do some runs so any thoughts/ideas would be fantastic!

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

James
Depends how much you're willing to spend, in part.

My advice would probably be to reposition away from Heathrow. Something like BUD-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS (then drive back to LAX, or fly if you want) in business is around £1580 (and 720TP).

There's also good premium economy offers on ARN/OSL-LHR-LAX (think it can be re-routed via JFK, can't remember) for around £700. Won't yield the same TP as above by a long stretch though (maybe 220TP).

There was a JER-PDX in business (680TP, but I'm not sure if it's still around, worth exploring (JER-LHR-JFK-LAX-PDX-LAX-JFK-LHR (no JER completion, otherwise it ups the cost)).

A number of options anyway, that'll put you in a position to drive/fly back to LA and nest in flights accordingly to have a rewarding and comfortable flight(s) for a relative bargain.
greenmeadie likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Hi all,

I need to be in Baltimore in early August. There seem to be two good fares around: PRG-BWI and ALG-BWI both starting at around £1300. I have not been able to find a good routing from PRG: If I add HEL the flight times are not great and I seem to often exceed MPM. ALG-LGW is SH+ however, so I have build:

ALG-LGW/LHR-PHL-CLT-BWI
BWI-CLT-ORD-LHR/LGW-ALG

Which I believe is 80+140+40+40 *2 = 600 TP, so 2.17 £/TP.

I chose the PHL/CLT combination at random - are there better connection points (faster immigration/better lounges?)
On the return I would like to fly via an AA hub and visit a flagship lounge (hence ORD).

Suggestions/improvements are welcome! The dates above are approximate/can be adjusted.

EDIT: I have just realised and noticed I need a visa for Algeria - maybe a good PRG routing would be a better idea.

Last edited by linz36; May 28, 2018 at 4:03 pm Reason: I noticed I need a visa for Algeria.
Old May 29, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
Very much considering this TP run. Currently on 655 TPs with an August year-end. I'd be keen to do a couple of nights in Bucharest on the outbound but then just do a b2b on the inbound. Am I right in thinking I wouldn't be able to stay on the plane for the back to back? Has the back to back at OTP been discussed already in the post somewhere?
Old May 29, 2018, 2:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Ajm1987
Very much considering this TP run. Currently on 655 TPs with an August year-end. I'd be keen to do a couple of nights in Bucharest on the outbound but then just do a b2b on the inbound. Am I right in thinking I wouldn't be able to stay on the plane for the back to back? Has the back to back at OTP been discussed already in the post somewhere?
You cannot stay on the plane. B2B has been done by quite a few of us in OTP. Is a little tricky but certainly possible and not heard of any problems.

There is information on this in this thread, the PHx Do thread and in the B2B thread.

I have no qualms about doing a B2B in OTP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.