Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Old May 3, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Originally Posted by ubiest

the CX website?
They were quoting £5k.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by tedcruz
They were quoting £5k.
Works ok via GF although appears to be some phantom I class availability. Got a few dates to go through to Orbitz ok
Old May 3, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Originally Posted by teledude
Works ok via GF although appears to be some phantom I class availability. Got a few dates to go through to Orbitz ok
Thanks, it just worked for me but they say I must call the CX office. Anyone got experience calling them up?
Old May 3, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Hi all. Anyone knows of any TP runs originating in LAX or PHX close to the PTY cost and TP gains? Does anyone remember a period of time when the 'favourable' PTY fares were removed and then re-instated?
Old May 4, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Help needed please : 125TP needed to regain Silver plus 4 flights for my 16000 Avios bonus so before end of June. (Based at LHR) Anything standing out ? Looking to spend around £400. DUB-LHR-HEL-LHR CE was a possible but showing £506.00. I could keep looking all day but can't find anything reasonable.

Any ideas welcome ! Rgds
Old May 4, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
Help needed please : 125TP needed to regain Silver plus 4 flights for my 16000 Avios bonus so before end of June. (Based at LHR) Anything standing out ? Looking to spend around £400. DUB-LHR-HEL-LHR CE was a possible but showing £506.00. I could keep looking all day but can't find anything reasonable.

Any ideas welcome ! Rgds
A couple of LUX b2bs?
Old May 4, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
Considering a last minute (18/19 May) trip to Costa Rica for 7-9 days or so. Is there a way to maximise TPs? It seems most oneworld options are via Madrid. I'm based in London but flexible about taking a slightly longer route.

Thank you

Last edited by Sillyrabbit79; May 4, 2018 at 9:14 am Reason: Adding Detail
Old May 4, 2018, 9:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
A couple of LUX b2bs?
2 x returns nester would be ideal. Takes one day only.
teledude likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: BAEC GGL

Any ideas welcome ! Rgds
How about a CE return to Manchester from LHR (£233 for 80TP) and a single CE flight to MAN with a return in cattle class (@£165 for 45TP)?
zen100 likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:18 am

A couple of LUX b2bs?
I was thinking 2 x AMS, but that should work as well.

OP only needs 3 legs to be CE - remaining one can be Y - should give 40+40+40+5 = 125TP
Old May 4, 2018, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by KARFA

2 x returns nester would be ideal. Takes one day only.
Thank you will look at LUX & AMS. Cheers
Old May 4, 2018, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by JP Flyer
How about a CE return to Manchester from LHR (£233 for 80TP) and a single CE flight to MAN with a return in cattle class (@£165 for 45TP)?
This does work for points but not for the 16000 Avios bonus I believe ?! Needs to be Euro flights ? Right ? Thinking I might as well combine a TP + Avios bonus run.
bisonrav likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:44 am

This does work for points but not for the 16000 Avios bonus I believe ?! Needs to be Euro flights ? Right ? Thinking I might as well combine a TP + Avios bonus run.
Does it have to be 4 x CE flights to qualify for the bonus ?

How much are 16,000 Avios worth - between £150 - £200. If a "bonus qualifying" run costs you more than that, it isn't worth it - although you should be able to keep it under that.

EDIT: Isn't the offer 4 x return flights - not 4 x flights

EDIT (again) : Yup - it's 8 flights

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...N_PHG_ALWAYSON

• A total of 16,000 Bonus Avios Points can be collected by the Eligible Participant if the Eligible Participant books and flies at least eight (8) Qualifying Flights (or more) within the Promotional Period.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by zen100
Does it have to be 4 x CE flights to qualify for the bonus ?

How much are 16,000 Avios worth - between £150 - £200. If a "bonus qualifying" run costs you more than that, it isn't worth it - although you should be able to keep it under that.
I believe its 8 euro flights any class for 16000. I have 4 already just needing another 4 plus 125TP's.
Old May 4, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Whilst not strictly a TP run I have a work trip to Chicago planned for late June and am looking at ways of maximising TPs on the outbound route. I've followed a bunch of posts in this thread but still pretty new to this and wondered what advice you smart folks could give...

• LHR-ORD on 23rd June
  • ORD-LHR on 27th June
  • A return J fare on BA297/BA296 currently prices out at £3049.31 which dictates the budget I have to play with
  • I want to be on the direct BA296 on 27th so the creativity is just with the outbound, on 23rd
  • Single ticket preferred
  • I'd like to avoid flying on 24th so I'm fresh for work on 25th
  • Bonus points for sectors on 787 or A350

Looking at the fare rules for the direct fare (INN8C1S6) I saw that:
2 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION FREE
1 FREE BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND B6 IN BOS/JFK IN
EACH DIRECTION
1 FREE BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND AS IN LAX/PDX/SEA IN
EACH DIRECTION
1 FREE BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND WS IN CANADA IN EACH
DIRECTION
1 FREE BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND HA IN HAWAII IN EACH
DIRECTION
2 FREE ON AA/BA/IB ONLY IN THE UNITED STATES/
CANADA IN EACH DIRECTION
FARE BREAK SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED AND
EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS PERMITTED ON THE FARE
COMPONENT.
Which made me consider BOS/JFK as connection points.

I found the following routes all at 400TP (140+60+60+140)
  • LHR-JFK-DCA-ORD-LHR
  • LHR-JFK-CLT-ORD-LHR

LHR-PHL-CLT-ORD looked like an option too but only yields 40TPs

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.