BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 17, 18, 11:12 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: OWBA
Wiki Link
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com



From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Apr 27, 18, 9:21 am
  #2101  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
Posts: 457
Try finishing in LHR
Ned1968 is offline  
Old Apr 27, 18, 1:16 pm
  #2102  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: BHD
Programs: BAEC Silver, Club Carlson Concierge, Hertz Gold, Accor Plat
Posts: 155
I'd say it's a fair bet as t's one less flight if you stop in LHR on the return.
phoneticduck is offline  
Old Apr 28, 18, 3:39 am
  #2103  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: AA EXP/LTP 4MM, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH Dia, SPG Plat/LTP
Posts: 9,307
The end of PTY runs?

Finalizing another OTP-PHX run in late November, GUFing both TATL, early evening yesterday. Arriving PHX midday 23 Nov, leaving late 27 Nov. Briefly looking at ITA for a LAX-PTY run, many connections seemed to have vanished (Thanksgiving weekend), but found an acceptable routing LAX-PHL-MIA-PTY-MIA-CLT-LAX for $856. Did a booking for positioning flights PHX-LAX r/t and left PTY booking for today.

What met my eye today hurt a bit, the same ticket now is $1300+. Searching until February 2019 showed occasional dates with $1286, otherwise mostly around $1400. Sadly it looks as my July PTY trip may be the last for a while

So, need to look elsewhere. Remember seeing some roundabout including LGB and LGA some years ago, but don't seem to recall details. Does anybody here have suggestions for a 3-4 day tour out of LA area for late November? Grateful for all input - TIA!

Last edited by onobond; Apr 28, 18 at 10:43 am Reason: typo
onobond is offline  
Old Apr 28, 18, 5:02 am
  #2104  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: LHR Air Traffic Control
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 583

Hey folks,

I'm trying to ge the PDX F fare to price at £1800ish, but ITA comes back with 'no matches found' when I select 'first class'.

Any ideas?
Heathrow Tower is offline  
Old Apr 28, 18, 6:45 am
  #2105  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Programs: BA GGL
Posts: 234
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower View Post

Hey folks,

I'm trying to ge the PDX F fare to price at £1800ish, but ITA comes back with 'no matches found' when I select 'first class'.

Any ideas?
I get a similar error when one of the segments doesn't have a first class option (or whatever class you're looking for) - in this case the first one. Maybe try putting f bc=a in the advanced routing codes only for the long haul flights. Or combine the first two entries into one, and specify LON as connection?
woglet86 is offline  
Old Apr 28, 18, 10:55 am
  #2106  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 547
What is the easiest way to book these JER-PDX fares (perfect to get some tax free shopping in, and see some mates)? Call up BA or AA?
Forever in Seattle is offline  
Old Apr 28, 18, 12:28 pm
  #2107  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: LHR Air Traffic Control
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 583
Originally Posted by woglet86 View Post
I get a similar error when one of the segments doesn't have a first class option (or whatever class you're looking for) - in this case the first one. Maybe try putting f bc=a in the advanced routing codes only for the long haul flights. Or combine the first two entries into one, and specify LON as connection?
Thanks woglet86, but both of those suggestions still come back negative.
Heathrow Tower is offline  
Old Apr 28, 18, 12:40 pm
  #2108  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Posts: 900
request for information:

A challenge.

Thinking of an absolutely unnecessary trip to HKG in order to jump on the inaugural CX flight HKG-Dub on 2 June.

I would need to be in HKG by about 11PM on the night of Fri 1st june (or earlier if I really want to enjoy the Pier and Wing properly :-) )

SO - can anyone suggest a good value TP run which would leave me able to have an OJ or stopover in HKG starting 1 June, returning I guess sometime June or July from pretty much anywhere in Asia including HKG (so OJ's would be fine)

I'd also consider something like a TP run to other Asian cities and a (presumably MH or CX) mileage run to HKG as long as I end up in HKG on 1 Jun, I earn lots of TPS and I have a flight home at the end.

Since the sole purpose of this run is TPs I'll pretty much try anything, I originate in DUB but am reasonably happy to position as required.

any suggestions ? (apart from medication and or psychiatrist!!)
catharsis is offline  
Old Apr 28, 18, 12:59 pm
  #2109  
Moderator: Qatar Airways
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: LHR/NCE/DOH
Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL/CCR, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Posts: 7,286
Originally Posted by onobond View Post
My last PTY stays have been in El Cangrejo area, where there are three medium/low priced hotels in the Hilton family, DT, HGI and HI (no experience of the latter). A major reason to stay here is the short distance (walking is fine after sitting in planes) to good seafood. Actually 4 out of the 5 highest ranked seafood restaurants on TA are in the proximity: Siete Mares (my fav), Casa Marisco, Puntarenas and Machu Picchu. MP with a Peruvian style unsurprisingly have a large selection of ceviches. Even staying elswhere, Uber works fine in PTY.
Thanks onobond

Just booked the DT using Hilton Points - a decent place to use them.

I'll head to Siete Mares (thanks for the recommendation)!

M
msm2000uk is offline  
Old Apr 28, 18, 1:04 pm
  #2110  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,294
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
A challenge.

Thinking of an absolutely unnecessary trip to HKG in order to jump on the inaugural CX flight HKG-Dub on 2 June.

I would need to be in HKG by about 11PM on the night of Fri 1st june (or earlier if I really want to enjoy the Pier and Wing properly :-) )

SO - can anyone suggest a good value TP run which would leave me able to have an OJ or stopover in HKG starting 1 June, returning I guess sometime June or July from pretty much anywhere in Asia including HKG (so OJ's would be fine)

I'd also consider something like a TP run to other Asian cities and a (presumably MH or CX) mileage run to HKG as long as I end up in HKG on 1 Jun, I earn lots of TPS and I have a flight home at the end.

Since the sole purpose of this run is TPs I'll pretty much try anything, I originate in DUB but am reasonably happy to position as required.

any suggestions ? (apart from medication and or psychiatrist!!)
There are some Muscat to HKG (or PVG) 1 stop flights on Sri Lankan for about a grand, but the dates don't quite line up. I guess an alternative would be positioning to somewhere like KUL and then using the TPE fare and Cathay Pacific to HKG. Plenty of cheap TPs available in Malaysia too.
bisonrav is offline  
Old Apr 28, 18, 1:34 pm
  #2111  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: AA EXP/LTP 4MM, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH Dia, SPG Plat/LTP
Posts: 9,307
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
Thanks onobond

Just booked the DT using Hilton Points - a decent place to use them.

I'll head to Siete Mares (thanks for the recommendation)!

M
You are most welcome!

The DT has been my base at the last visits to PTY, and will be at what seems to be the last (scroll back to post 2103 for info) early July. From DT the walking distance is c:a 1.25 km to Siete Mares. IIRC there is no table reservation over their website, but the DT reception will help you if you mail them. Assuming you have an elite card with Hilton, the 5th floor of DT is dedicated for Honors guests. The Junior suites (2 opposite each other at the end of a shortish corridor) are spacious, although no luxury to expect for that price. There's also a fridge if you should need one. These rooms are just opposite the church Iglesia del Carmen, but don't worry about being disturbed by the bells ringing, as the first service is due after you left.

Enjoy your stay!
onobond is offline  
Old Apr 28, 18, 1:38 pm
  #2112  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: LHR
Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG PLT (LT Gold), TK Gold, M&M S, BA Silver, Hyatt Dia
Posts: 4,298
Originally Posted by bisonrav View Post
There are some Muscat to HKG (or PVG) 1 stop flights on Sri Lankan for about a grand, but the dates don't quite line up. I guess an alternative would be positioning to somewhere like KUL and then using the TPE fare and Cathay Pacific to HKG. Plenty of cheap TPs available in Malaysia too.
Also MUC to BKK on QR (F+J) if that works for £747
bisonrav likes this.
ExpatSomchai is offline  
Old Apr 28, 18, 1:54 pm
  #2113  
Moderator: Qatar Airways
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: LHR/NCE/DOH
Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL/CCR, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Posts: 7,286
Originally Posted by onobond View Post
You are most welcome!

The DT has been my base at the last visits to PTY, and will be at what seems to be the last (scroll back to post 2103 for info) early July. From DT the walking distance is c:a 1.25 km to Siete Mares. IIRC there is no table reservation over their website, but the DT reception will help you if you mail them. Assuming you have an elite card with Hilton, the 5th floor of DT is dedicated for Honors guests. The Junior suites (2 opposite each other at the end of a shortish corridor) are spacious, although no luxury to expect for that price. There's also a fridge if you should need one. These rooms are just opposite the church Iglesia del Carmen, but don't worry about being disturbed by the bells ringing, as the first service is due after you left.

Enjoy your stay!
That's the kind of info I can't find anywhere else - many thanks!

I'd looked at Google Maps in terms of walking to SM, and it did indeed look closeby (and only a few doors away from the ceviche place).

I've booked a room with a 'luxury tub', but I'm expecting it to be luxury in the loosest sense of the word.

Still, for 10,000 Hilton Points, I'm really not going to complain!

M
msm2000uk is offline  
Old Apr 28, 18, 4:08 pm
  #2114  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, Hertz pres circle, SPG Gold, hilton gold
Posts: 2,366
This PDX fare is giving me a headache.

Jersey 99.9% of the time wouldnt be an issue for me, but it looks like I cant make it this time.

Interestingly, I cant get ITA to match up fares that I can find on ba.com (usually its the other way around!) either with the same routing as BA, or throwing in changes in BOS, JFX/LAX or any decent combination.

My dates are 4th June to 10th July -I actually want to be in vegas, so I'll get a cheap spirit flight the next day from PDX.

One other thing, on the BA website I can price up LHR-PDX for £1800 in F, but again with useless ORD or DFW connections.

Would love to get the JFK-LAX connection in F for the tier points and to try out the transcon service.
aceman is offline  
Old Apr 29, 18, 3:32 am
  #2115  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Posts: 900
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai View Post
Also MUC to BKK on QR (F+J) if that works for £747
Details or link? Couldnt see mention of MUC in the premium fare forum.
(Is that MUC or did you mean MCT?)
catharsis is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread