BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 17, 18, 11:12 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: OWBA
Wiki Link
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com



From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Apr 5, 18, 12:37 pm
  #1801  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,957
Originally Posted by cgtechuk View Post
Not missed a trick when I haven't booked it yet haha still perfecting my Lax to pty for the middle.

You got any further enhancements on my cai to hnl further UL the page?

Or even better a 16 sector one way Lax to pty as two one ways totalling 32 lol.

Thanks guys as ever!
You could probably route back via HEL on your return, rather than DUB, on your CAI-HNL fare - but you will pay a little more (possibly £50) for the fare, so not sure if that helps just for an extra 40 TPs and the cost of possibly a need for a hotel in HEL.

There are ways and means to do oneways between LAX and PTY to stretch the number of sectors up, but you'll just need to search these yourself since they are complex to put together and usually means longer layovers requiring more hotel nights due to packing in more sectors. I wouldn't say they were efficient for the typical TP runner, in my opinion.
rossmacd is offline  
Old Apr 5, 18, 12:52 pm
  #1802  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Posts: 844
Originally Posted by cgtechuk View Post
Not missed a trick when I haven't booked it yet haha still perfecting my Lax to pty for the middle.

You got any further enhancements on my cai to hnl further UL the page?

Or even better a 16 sector one way Lax to pty as two one ways totalling 32 lol.

Thanks guys as ever!
Deleted


Last edited by deboyzoned; Apr 5, 18 at 12:56 pm Reason: Damn phone
deboyzoned is offline  
Old Apr 5, 18, 12:54 pm
  #1803  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Glasgow, UK
Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Posts: 1,361
Originally Posted by rossmacd View Post
You could probably route back via HEL on your return, rather than DUB, on your CAI-HNL fare - but you will pay a little more (possibly £50) for the fare, so not sure if that helps just for an extra 40 TPs and the cost of possibly a need for a hotel in HEL.

There are ways and means to do oneways between LAX and PTY to stretch the number of sectors up, but you'll just need to search these yourself since they are complex to put together and usually means longer layovers requiring more hotel nights due to packing in more sectors. I wouldn't say they were efficient for the typical TP runner, in my opinion.
Thanks mate. I tried pricing the onr ways up.in matrix and it barfs after 9 sectors wondered if I was missing something. I'll persevere as wasn't sure if it was a matrix limitation or not.
cgtechuk is offline  
Old Apr 5, 18, 6:06 pm
  #1804  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: PHL
Programs: BA,SPG
Posts: 40
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
Are there any Trip Reports for the LAX-PTY routing?

If not, I'll try and write one up when I do mine in June - 25 sectors in 5 days from ARN-PTY (the very long way)!

M
Just got home from this (l31g was on same flights for part of it). Really glad he was around, grabbed a good dinner upon arrival in PTY (Thanks for finding that place!), also broke up the monotony of solo travel! I chose to extend the trip here and there instead of back to back flights, to take a little time away from work.. plus, I live in PHL, so, just went home for the day the one day.

Definitely glad that I stayed til 3:30PM in Panama. Walked around town, got some fresh air (and sun), geisha coffee, checked out the canal real quick, sat in the pool at the Le Meridien.

Only short turn around for me was TPA -- barely got 4 hours of sleep, but, my focus was the long layover in PHL to get a break and go home for a bit. I slept on both TPA> CLT and CLT > PHL.

The AA seats are meh in general. Rollup a blanket for lumbar support. The best ones IMO were on one of the CRJ's, the butt part slid forward instead of just the back tilting back, was easier on the back. I'm just spoiled by BA/QR I think. Most planes, especially the longer routes, did not have plugs -- if you're relying on electronics to keep you entertained, make sure you charge between flights or bring a battery pack.

MIA flagship lounge was very nice, first time in that one. LAX flagship is also fantastic. LAX Admiral's Club in T5 also good spot if you're in T5. Showers in all of them were much needed and a relief.

My journey (minus the positioning flights)
PHX-PHL and PHL-LAS were 140TP, the rest 40.

srcga is offline  
Old Apr 5, 18, 7:49 pm
  #1805  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: HKG
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 169
Originally Posted by littlevoices View Post
Thought I'd add the TP I did today for reference (getting my GUV2)
Quick question - as someone based in HKG, how do you intend to use your GUF2? I was a few hundred TP short last year but couldn't justify reaching it.
CX_newbie is offline  
Old Apr 5, 18, 8:21 pm
  #1806  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: London, or thereabouts
Programs: Tesco Clubcard, Heathrow Rewards, M&S Sparks, Caffè Nero, HSBC rewards... BAEC defector
Posts: 122
Originally Posted by CX_newbie View Post
Quick question - as someone based in HKG, how do you intend to use your GUF2? I was a few hundred TP short last year but couldn't justify reaching it.
Do you travel through LHR often? If so, you could consider 'nesting' a cheaper ex-EU business class fare in between your return HKG-LHR flights and upgrade into F?
07L 25R is offline  
Old Apr 5, 18, 8:25 pm
  #1807  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 723
Quick day return from New York?

I’m going to be in New York on Sunday and have the day free. Am looking to do a short Trip to make sure I requalify for GGL. 100 TPs required.

Have looked at jFK-BOS which comes in at $1463 in F for 120 TPs and is doable. Looks like fully flexible fares only now at this number of days out. IAD, MIA and BWI all come in higher as I see.

Any ideas on other day return routes that would be cheaper?

Alternative would be to to wait until I return to UK and do a LHR-OSL/HEL or similar.

Thanks

David.
UPDATE : Looks like I can do CLT for $879 with JFK-CLT and a return via RDU, which would up the TPs but generate risk due to returning JFK-LHR at 21:05 same day.

Last edited by David_Doyle; Apr 5, 18 at 8:38 pm Reason: CLT route
David_Doyle is offline  
Old Apr 5, 18, 9:46 pm
  #1808  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: BAEC Silver, KE, NH, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 229
Originally Posted by David_Doyle View Post
I’m going to be in New York on Sunday and have the day free. Am looking to do a short Trip to make sure I requalify for GGL. 100 TPs required.

Have looked at jFK-BOS which comes in at $1463 in F for 120 TPs and is doable. Looks like fully flexible fares only now at this number of days out. IAD, MIA and BWI all come in higher as I see.

Any ideas on other day return routes that would be cheaper?

Alternative would be to to wait until I return to UK and do a LHR-OSL/HEL or similar.

Thanks

David.
UPDATE : Looks like I can do CLT for $879 with JFK-CLT and a return via RDU, which would up the TPs but generate risk due to returning JFK-LHR at 21:05 same day.
Does it have to be JFK? And are you flying out the same night?

I found this LGA-DCA-PWM-LGA for $569. Leaves 12:00PM and gets back at 7:08PM.
https://goo.gl/flights/YkFbn
Pochama is offline  
Old Apr 5, 18, 11:14 pm
  #1809  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 723
Originally Posted by Pochama View Post
Does it have to be JFK? And are you flying out the same night?

I found this LGA-DCA-PWM-LGA for $569. Leaves 12:00PM and gets back at 7:08PM.
https://goo.gl/flights/YkFbn
it could be another NYC airport, though i’m arriving into JFK at 07:00 so departures from there would be convenient.

I have to leave JFK 21:05 same day.

Thanks for the suggestion - will look at that. I’m just worried about possibility of IRROPS disrupting my return to London.



David_Doyle is offline  
Old Apr 6, 18, 12:22 am
  #1810  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: BAEC Silver, KE, NH, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 229
Originally Posted by David_Doyle View Post


it could be another NYC airport, though i’m arriving into JFK at 07:00 so departures from there would be convenient.

I have to leave JFK 21:05 same day.

Thanks for the suggestion - will look at that. I’m just worried about possibility of IRROPS disrupting my return to London.



Just FYI, you will need 3 segments. Even the JFK-BOS fare you mentioned would only give 40 TP each leg since it's domestic first class.
Pochama is offline  
Old Apr 6, 18, 4:33 am
  #1811  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: London
Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Posts: 484
I was idly playing with Google flights and - inspired by Gastrocnemius' find a couple of days ago - found DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-OGG-LAX-JFK-LHR-AMS for a July long weekend for £1,640. I might persuade myself to be tempted by this but was not able to pull through to aa.com (no longer available error message) or find it using the multi-city search. I think the fare is ILN8C1S4.

Any tips?
LSunbury is offline  
Old Apr 6, 18, 4:50 pm
  #1812  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 723
Originally Posted by LSunbury View Post
I was idly playing with Google flights and - inspired by Gastrocnemius' find a couple of days ago - found DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-OGG-LAX-JFK-LHR-AMS for a July long weekend for £1,640. I might persuade myself to be tempted by this but was not able to pull through to aa.com (no longer available error message) or find it using the multi-city search. I think the fare is ILN8C1S4.

Any tips?
i would suggest trying to price it up using ITA Matrix to see if there’s anything wrong with the Google Flights quote. You would need to add the transit points in I think as you have 8 flights total, but this is pretty easy to do.

If it comes up ok on Matrix then you can either use one of the ‘Book With Matrix’ functions, or call AA.

Unfortunately there can be variances between what one tool states and what is actually available.
David_Doyle is offline  
Old Apr 6, 18, 11:13 pm
  #1813  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Jakarta
Programs: BA GGL, GA PLAT, SQ Gold
Posts: 471
Originally Posted by CX_newbie View Post
Quick question - as someone based in HKG, how do you intend to use your GUF2? I was a few hundred TP short last year but couldn't justify reaching it.
I am based in Jakarta and i make good use of GUF1 and 2 , i upgrade PE to CW on SIN/KUL to LHR return , unlike the 241 you can book trips starting anywhere
MrMutton likes this.
walkingtall is offline  
Old Apr 7, 18, 1:31 am
  #1814  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 20
Lon / Ex EU to HKG

Any advice on runs from UK / Ex EU to Hong Kong in the next 12 months?
AdFlyer is offline  
Old Apr 7, 18, 1:37 am
  #1815  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Programs: GGL/CCR
Posts: 1,599
Originally Posted by AdFlyer View Post
Any advice on runs from UK / Ex EU to Hong Kong in the next 12 months?
Ex AMS to BKK via HKG

Best TP would be ams-lhr-hkg-bkk-sin-lhr-ams

Should be about 1350 only stopping in HKG.
AdFlyer likes this.
teledude is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread