Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX 1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - 1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - 1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under 3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep 1.48/TP 650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep 1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open 1.94/TP 700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan 1.58/TP 883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb 1.44/TP 575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb 1.53/TP 860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar 1.22/TP 687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr 0.87/TP 314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr 1.19/TP 335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr 1.28/TP 335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr 2.00/TP 320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under 300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under 500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for 520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by IMH
Both of the above.

Look again at bisonrav's example above and remove the oneworld restriction. Anyone actually wanting to travel between PHL and DTW will find DL hard to beat: several nonstop flights with flight times starting at under 1:40. AA has a couple of nonstop flights, but they tend to be more expensive. Fly with AA via ORD or CLT, however, and you can match or beat DL's price. The downside (for people outside of this thread) is that it will take you between four hours (best-case, probably not at the lowest price) and seven hours in each direction. So on this route AA is most interesting to highly price-sensitive passengers -- or people hungry for tier points.
Thanks.. I figured as much. (may be new poster here but have done my homework here over the years )
I'm well aware of the Delta (even Spirit) deals to DTW, I have friends there and try to go visit them as much as possible when the flights are worth it... the AA flights, that is

I took your example and stuck it in ITA, as I'm on the ongoing quest of learning about fare rules. It says 2 transfers are allowed, now, I'm playing with intermediate airports to find a combo similar to the PHL/CLT/RDU option.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by jcruise
Hi All,

Thanks so much for posting all the info. I've been trying to ingest it all, and am a bit overwhelmed ... I need 280TP by April 9th to maintain gold. I looked at LHR-HEL and that gets me 160, which in theory I could do twice but in practice there's limited flight availability at reasonable price.

Anyone else have any ideas for a way of getting 280TP from london in that timeframe?

Also if I pay down some of the fare with Avios do I lose TP?

Thanks in advance
J
https://www.google.co.uk/flights/#se...c=b;a=ONEWORLD

This will get you 120 TP's and you'll also have a lie flat seat on the LHR - MAD and MAD - LHR sectors. I've done this run a couple of times and it's very straightforward. You can leave on the Friday too, and make a weekend of it if you like! So, this and the LHR - HEL - LHR trip will get you to 280 TP's.

If you make a cash booking and then reduce the total with Avios, you get the full tier points.
n4ynx likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by cgtechuk
Super grey area as TITIMAC probably would stop you boarding the flight in the first place but the technical grey area is that you arent leaving the transit area but ubiest is correct you cant go it without a visa
Thanks for that, makes sense. Can it be done b2b with a visa?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
Thanks for that, makes sense. Can it be done b2b with a visa?
If you have a visa no reason why not
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:39 am

I suspect the question is more so around timings, i.e. do you need to re-clear security, can you just wait in the transit area, etc.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
poses a side question - in case you travel without a multi entry visa, would one of the allowed entries be used up by a B2B? Of course, on paper no, but does anyone here actual knowledge or firsthand experience?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by ubiest

poses a side question - in case you travel without a multi entry visa, would one of the allowed entries be used up by a B2B? Of course, on paper no, but does anyone here actual knowledge or firsthand experience?
If you have to enter the country, then yes - it would use up your single use visa. If you don't enter the country and remain in transit then no it would not use it up.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by ubiest

If you don't go through immigration, then I'd guess that the visa would be purely to satisfy the airline at checking so they can tick the box. I'm more worried about whether I'd have enough time to make it back for the return MH flight 1 hour later.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold Amb.
Hi all,

Last TP year i ended 300 short of Gold, having had a work trip canceled, and then running out of time and cash to find anything reasonable.

This year im not sure where i will end up as my work travel has changed, and i will be doing more short haul and less trips over to the US.
i think i will have enough to retain silver, but it could all change again.. i just dont want to end in the annoying position that im so close to Gold again but miss out because i have left it too late.

Do people tend to book TP Runs several months out that can be canceled if not needed, or is that an expensive/risky/bad strategy?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Super grey area as TITIMAC probably would stop you boarding the flight in the first place but the technical grey area is that you arent leaving the transit area but ubiest is correct you cant go it without a visa
TITIMAC - my new favourite name for TIMATIC
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by Fitch
TITIMAC - my new favourite name for TIMATIC

I knew it was something like that and I couldn't be bothered googling
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:32 pm

Just moved to BAEC program (not really keen travel more than 4 needed shortest legs LON-AMS on BA , but program has some perks I prefer), currently in KUL , so I was looking for some tier points by MH in April but China is out for me since I have no visa, but a single KUL-TPE-KUL in Z is 310 pounds for 3 nights (e.g.Apr 15 -18) which is good for city break for 1.1/TP, also found KUL-KTM-KUL broadly available in April for 292 for (also 3 day req) for 1.04/TP. Are those good deals for short-breaks?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by kobolcs
KUL-KTM-KUL for 1.04/TP. Are those good deals for short-breaks?
Rule of thumb is 1 / TP is a good deal. Can consider nesting trips to minimise nights in hotels. Also consider departing or returning from other domestic airports for additional 40 TP per leg, i.e. PEN/JHB/LGK etc. All the >2,000 mile places are in Indian subcontinent or Greater China. Also consider visa free transit in China if you have an onward connection to a 3rd country (including HK).
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold
I need 100 TP to maintain gold by 8th May. I'm ABZ based and was looking at DUB via LHR and back in a day (375), which will get me 160TP.

It's more TP than I need, so is there a better way to do this, ideally without a night-stop?

Thanks.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by w3andw4d
I need 100 TP to maintain gold by 8th May. I'm ABZ based and was looking at DUB via LHR and back in a day (375), which will get me 160TP.

It's more TP than I need, so is there a better way to do this, ideally without a night-stop?

Thanks.
You can go out in Economy and back in Club Europe for 10+10+40+40 = 100 tier points. If you book the outbound in V class, this reduces the total cost to 309. No overnight etc. Sample date Sat 28th April.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.