Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: BA
I'm trying to fly a route for which there are 15+ flights a day (SDU-CGH), but the flights later in the day don't show up for Avios booking on ba.com. I know there is availability because they show up on other Oneworld partners award availability. Is this a limit of ba.com? Do I have to call in to book or is there a way around this?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by wiivile
Is this a limit of ba.com? Do I have to call in to book or is there a way around this?
Yes, it is a website limitation; and yes, the best thing to do is to call. I think that if you explain that the website wouldn't show you all the flights that day, you shouldn't be charged the offline fee.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:50 am

Hi @KARFA and @Globaliser, thanks for your comments

Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes. it's a change rather than a UuA. Should just be the extra avios and the £35 per person change fee due - possibly a few pounds also due to exchange rate changes with some of the taxes/fees/charges.
Given the slightly bumpy ride the £ is having lately, that's a good point. I am assuming the TFC wouldn't be different between Business and First?

Originally Posted by KARFA
Presumably a domestic connection? You can change to an earlier flight down but only if there is reward availability on the earlier flight. I think it would be seen as all one change if done at the same time so part of the same fee as above.
Yep, it's originating in INV.

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is the First cabin now being sold as First, or is this a case of a 4-class aircraft being used to operate a 3-class flight?

If the First cabin is being used as First, and there is award availability, then it should indeed be a change fee of £35 per person plus the Avios difference to change the booking into First.
A good question Globaliser. The route is BA223, Heathrow-Nashville, and the BA website does appear to want to sell me a First ticket in both directions for the route on our dates now (for about the same cost as the Business class ticket was when we booked the redemption, a bit over £3000 return). Poking around the BA website redemption section, it does appear to offer First - but no availability on our dates. One to keep an eye on, I think, and see if it opens up!

However, BA Redemption Finder doesn't recognise BNA/Nashville as a BA route. Any tips for tracking availability for this one?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by squawk
However, BA Redemption Finder doesn't recognise BNA/Nashville as a BA route. Any tips for tracking availability for this one?
The obvious alternative suggestion is ExpertFlyer, but if you don't already have a subscription to it then you'd have to work out whether that's going to be worth the money. You can, as it were, dip in to EF month by month - so that might help.
squawk likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
The obvious alternative suggestion is ExpertFlyer, but if you don't already have a subscription to it then you'd have to work out whether that's going to be worth the money. You can, as it were, dip in to EF month by month - so that might help.
Thanks again, @Globaliser - much appreciated. Per the Wiki, I guess I'm keeping an eye out for Z class in First, and U class if I wanted to change the domestic as well?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by squawk
Per the Wiki, I guess I'm keeping an eye out for Z class in First, and U class if I wanted to change the domestic as well?
The first is definitely correct, and I think the second is too.
squawk likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:35 pm
formerly Guanran Wang

Programs: Alaska, BAEC, Asiana, Aegean, Enrich, Marriott/SPG, Hilton
BA award Clubworld LCY

Any ways to use miles/avios on LCY-SNN-JFK or JFK-LCY flights?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Guanran Wang
Any ways to use miles/avios on LCY-SNN-JFK or JFK-LCY flights?
Yes, you can redeem avios for the babybus.. You would not include SNN in your search for the outbound. If you are having trouble finding anything, there may not be any availability for your selected dates or maybe try searching LON-JFK, JFK-LON.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC
Hi all,

How does one go about getting a oneway Avios reward flight from NYC or HPN to MIA or FLL? Dates are any day/time between 1st Jan to 5th Jan.

Thanks
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Hi all,

How does one go about getting a oneway Avios reward flight from NYC or HPN to MIA or FLL? Dates are any day/time between 1st Jan to 5th Jan.

Thanks
You do an avios redemption search on ba.com for NYC-MIA. I just did and the only direct flights I found available (for several days during your time period) were in business class for 15,000 avios and $5.60. There are milesaver routings available on aa.com that involve connecting flights. To use avios on these you would have to redeem avios for each segment. If they don't show up on ba.com, then you need to call to book or search for and book each segment separately on ba.com.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
You do an avios redemption search on ba.com for NYC-MIA. I just did and the only direct flights I found available (for several days during your time period) were in business class for 15,000 avios and $5.60. There are milesaver routings available on aa.com that involve connecting flights. To use avios on these you would have to redeem avios for each segment. If they don't show up on ba.com, then you need to call to book or search for and book each segment separately on ba.com.
Given that any connection on the NYC-MIA/FLL route would cost a minimum of 15,000 BA Avios one way in Economy Class, redeeming 15,000 BA Avios for the nonstop in Business Class seems like the better option.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Hi everyone, still loving the BAEC forum!

I wonder if I could ask for some assistance... I have 2 vouchers for two-for-one with my premium Amex. 4 of us would like to go to the US in Summer 2019 in business class (250k avios available) and ideally would like to end up on the west coast near SFO. I’m struggling to find a good way of doing this with availablity on the route. It looks like good availability to JFK, but would then need to make our way across to the West Coast.

Would be most grateful for some advice if there is anyway to achieve this, would be happy to fly to a nearby airport and drive - would love to include LAS, Death Valley, Yosemite... Would be happy to fly back in economy!
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Rufin
Hi everyone, still loving the BAEC forum!

I wonder if I could ask for some assistance... I have 2 vouchers for two-for-one with my premium Amex. 4 of us would like to go to the US in Summer 2019 in business class (250k avios available) and ideally would like to end up on the west coast near SFO. I’m struggling to find a good way of doing this with availablity on the route. It looks like good availability to JFK, but would then need to make our way across to the West Coast.

Would be most grateful for some advice if there is anyway to achieve this, would be happy to fly to a nearby airport and drive - would love to include LAS, Death Valley, Yosemite... Would be happy to fly back in economy!
Have you tried an open jaw? i.e. into LAX out of LAS, or into SAN out of LAX/LAS etc.? SAN usually has reasonable availability.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Thanks @jerrya.laska we managed to grab 2 business class rewards costing a grand total of £8.80 and on a 77W! Wow. A bargain compared to EU intra flights! Happy bunny over here
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Unhappy

Originally Posted by flashware
Have you tried an open jaw? i.e. into LAX out of LAS, or into SAN out of LAX/LAS etc.? SAN usually has reasonable availability.
Thanks Flashware, just checked on redemption finder, no availability

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.