Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2018, 5:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
If I book a BA Holiday then I know I can Avios upgrade into availability... is this still possible if I've only booked the holiday and paid the minimum deposit only? Just to verify.

EDIT:
PS, it's direct with BA, so no TA involved, but it's not out of the UK [the leg I wish to upgrade is out of LHR though], so would non-Sterling cause any issues in this instance? Thanks!
yes it's possible to UuA even if you have only paid the deposit so far.

I understand a BA Holiday booking (flights & hotel) is treated as a TA booking, so a holiday booking including non BA flights can't be UuA'ed in the same way a TA booking including non BA flights can't be UuA'ed.

there isn't any restriction for UuA based on where you start, and you can UuA one leg of a more complex booking. the currency won't be an issue and I suspect the agent will quote any extra taxes/fees/charges in £ anyway using the standard conversion rate.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by KARFA
yes it's possible to UuA even if you have only paid the deposit so far.

I understand a BA Holiday booking (flights & hotel) is treated as a TA booking, so a holiday booking including non BA flights can't be UuA'ed in the same way a TA booking including non BA flights can't be UuA'ed.

there isn't any restriction for UuA based on where you start, and you can UuA one leg of a more complex booking. the currency won't be an issue and I suspect the agent will quote any extra taxes/fees/charges in £ anyway using the standard conversion rate.
All good to know.

It'd be CW to F, so shouldn't be any additional currency to part with.

It's actually for my partner and mother, I won't be flying, so not sure I'll be able to upgrade the booking myself (I'll be making it and paying for it though). One is on friends/family, the other is not.

Now they just need to make a darn decision! Hope the seats stay open...

Last edited by mmxbreaks; Sep 29, 2018 at 6:37 am
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It's actually for my partner and mother, I won't be flying, so not sure I'll be able to upgrade the booking myself (I'll be making it and paying for it though). One is on friends/family, the other is not.
that should be fine. i have UuA'ed bookings where I haven't been a passenger for, but i had made and paid for the booking originally. the passengers don't need to be on your F&F list.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Originally Posted by flashware
Absolutely, just keep checking back. You can setup an alert also on https://baredemptionfinder.com
That site really ended up paying dividends for me. After setting up an alert 5 days ago for J redemption for 2 out of LAX next August, this morning I found that the exact itinerary I was looking for (well, OK, one day later on the return) dropped into my email overnight!
flashware likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:20 am
p78
Suspended

Programs: BA Silver, Aegan Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA

there hasn’t been any increase in the RFS fee. Have you earned any avios within the last year? The capped RFS fee is only shown if you have, if not you pay the full amount of taxes/fees/charges.

thanks
I tried to book from my partners account (household account) and she didn't earn any points during 1 year, but on my account I can book with 17.50GBP taxes....some strange rule good to know to credit some avios every year......
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL
So I can't get through to BAEC Gold line, even USA shuts at 15:00 Eastern now... any magic number to help me out?

Thanks
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
So I can't get through to BAEC Gold line, even USA shuts at 15:00 Eastern now... any magic number to help me out?
Try this post: BA Exec Club # in US is now closed?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have booked many reward flights, but never book and upgrade.
iIcan't quite get my head around it, must be missing something!
If I book J from ABZ to BOS for 2 returns it is around £2800.
If I try book and upgrade to F for same it asks for around £17,000 ???
It is May 2-15.
I don't know what I am doing wrong?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by anniegray
I don't know what I am doing wrong?
You're not. The ~£1,386.81 fare that you're getting for a straightforward Club booking is a DIF. ba.com's book-and-upgrade engine for UuAs doesn't handle DIFs properly, hence you can get quoted the wrong underlying cash fare when you try it - although this is quite a spectacular one as to get anywhere near £8,500 I think it's probably the most expensive J class fare published (~£8,371.81).

Either book the underlying cash fare on ba.com and then call to do the UuA, or call to do the whole thing in one go, mentioning that you're having to call because ba.com won't work properly for you and quotes you the wrong cash fare when you try to book and upgrade at the same time.

You have no risk in booking the cash fare first and then calling to do the UuA, because if for some reason something goes wrong (eg no more Avios availability in F by the time you get through), you still have the 24 hour cooling-off cancellation period.
anniegray likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thankyou for clarifying. I will call them
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: star Alliance, JP miles, SQ, Avios
Noob query : I have about 30k Avios and 30K SQ miles accumulated over past 1 year. I'd like to use these miles for an award flight from DEL/BOM/HYD - YYZ in November tentatively. I can see 29.5k Avios flight on BA however, the surcharge and taxes make it a not so great deal. How do I avoid these taxes ? I can't find partner flights on this route. Can i get more mileage on my miles using 2 partner segments ?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
HKG LHR Avios redemption fees now £330

Having read the HK authorities are now permitting fuel surcharges ex HKG I took a look to see if BA had revised the fees on Avios redemptions.

Previously fees were about £30. A look at October and November shows they have hiked fees on a one way to £330!!!

Bizarrely HKG to Man is only £66 - that said Cathay direct is only about £33.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Modo
Having read the HK authorities are now permitting fuel surcharges ex HKG I took a look to see if BA had revised the fees on Avios redemptions.

Previously fees were about £30. A look at October and November shows they have hiked fees on a one way to £330!!!

Bizarrely HKG to Man is only £66 - that said Cathay direct is only about £33.
Still comes up at £34 for me?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by pauldb
Still comes up at £34 for me?
Have you clicked through to the price quote screen?

(Note: I haven't tried, but this seems to be a recurring issue)
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by BA6501
Have you clicked through to the price quote screen?

(Note: I haven't tried, but this seems to be a recurring issue)
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.