Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver
Using avios from another person

Apologies if this has been discussed previously I have this situation I'm on a LHR BKK LHR in ba YEP booked via a ta :-( I have a friend with loads of avios to burn is it possible to upgrade to business with his avios?

I tried doing it on mmb but received contact the ta unfortunately the ta are uninterested unless cash upgrade

any advise greatly appreciated
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by spec119
Apologies if this has been discussed previously I have this situation I'm on a LHR BKK LHR in ba YEP booked via a ta :-( I have a friend with loads of avios to burn is it possible to upgrade to business with his avios?

I tried doing it on mmb but received contact the ta unfortunately the ta are uninterested unless cash upgrade

any advise greatly appreciated
Any UuA would have to be done directly with BA rather than the TA - and as you found it doesn't tend to work well online so you would have to call. Also you would need there to be reward availability in business on your flight to UuA/.

That said, I don't think what you want to do is possible. I have myself UuA'ed a booking I wasn't travelling on before but that was allowed since I paid for it originally. One way around it would be for your friend to transfer their avios to you and then you can call to do the UuA.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
Any UuA would have to be done directly with BA rather than the TA - and as you found it doesn't tend to work well online so you would have to call. Also you would need there to be reward availability in business on your flight to UuA/.

That said, I don't think what you want to do is possible. I have myself UuA'ed a booking I wasn't travelling on before but that was allowed since I paid for it originally. One way around it would be for your friend to transfer their avios to you and then you can call to do the UuA.
excellent response very helpful many thanks
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by pauldb
I think I recall seeing that it was just a very insubstantial snack. If you can't confirm otherwise and want a meal onboad, BYO!

Their main base is Olbia - lots of shorthaul destinations from there including, I think, their only UK route to LGW. I did optimistically think I might stitch their avios availability there with BA's until I saw the charges referred to above.
Ah so they use Olbia as a hub, not Malpensa? Then one could construct itineraries via Olbia, even as paid tickets. I see they have a number of longhaul destinations from MXP so that made me think it was their hub.

You know, we’re getting miles away from BA and the topic of this thread, so I think I will start a thread in the Other Europea Airlines forum.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold, Herts Pres Circle
Morning,

After some sage advice. Looking to book a return to Tokyo (HND) shortly but not sure what to do.

I'd planned to do JAL J in both directions but have enough avois for BA J return or one of the legs in F.

Not experienced JAL before and from previous thread the general consensus was JAL was superior.

Cheers,
Matt
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by willismac
Hi All,

I have lurked here for a while and made a post every now and then. For the first time I need some advice. I have around 240,000 avios and want to use some of them next year. If people could critique what my plans are below and let me know if there is anything they would do differently. Essentially I want to go to NYC, Belize, Santiago, Lima and Rio.

I have spent a lot of time looking at availability and think I have my plans nailed down. All flights will be economy except for the return flight to Lon.

I will take a positioning flight to Dublin then fly:

DUB - NYC (stay for 5 days) 13,000 points plus Ł63 in taxes
NYC - MIA (7500 points + Ł4) connection to
MIA - BZE (stay 8 nights) (7500 + Ł4) - BZE - MIA (15,000 + Ł50)
connection to MIA - SCL (stay 3 nights) (25,000 + Ł4
SCL - LIM (non reward flight) (stay 3 nights)
LIM - Rio (12500 + Ł23) stay 4 nights

Then was thinking of fling to Sao Paulo for a first class flight back to London or flying from Rio to LON in business. Which should I do?

Quick question, when I tried to book a first class flight from Sao Paulo it said it should be 102,000 + about Ł20 in taxes but when you go to book through it jumps to Ł200 is this correct or do I need to call BA.
im trying to book this with BA over the phone. They are quoting me almost 100k more miles than when doing dummy bookings online. Am I best just to book individual tickets online?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
You're got at least AA and LA in there, which is pushing you over to the multipartner chart. To use the standard per-sector pricing, you would need only BA, or BA+one partner at a maximum on the same booking. By booking individual tickets, you would not be protected in case of irrops.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by BA6501
You're got at least AA and LA in there, which is pushing you over to the multipartner chart. To use the standard per-sector pricing, you would need only BA, or BA+one partner at a maximum on the same booking. By booking individual tickets, you would not be protected in case of irrops.
thanks. I have removed the dub-jfk and the scl-lim is going to be booked separately but it’s still coming out at 200k odd. So I only have ba and aa flights now.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
What about LIM-GIG?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by BA6501
What about LIM-GIG?
ah of course. I’ll remove that and see what they come back with.thanks
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by willismac

ah of course. I’ll remove that and see what they come back with.thanks
would it be possible to just book gig-scl and then nyc - Lon and take advantage of the lower taxes for first?

Last edited by willismac; Sep 23, 2018 at 7:52 am
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; AA Platinum;Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Has been awhile since I had to book a flight on BA with miles that I am not traveling. Went to book a flight last night for my daughter who is part of my household account. When I got to the end it would not allow me to change details of person traveling. Indicated that due to some recent changes on BA.com that I have to call the BA Service centre. When did this change as I could have sworn I have booked on BA using miles without traveling on the ticket?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by cupps
When I got to the end it would not allow me to change details of person traveling.
I think you'd gone too far as the person travelling is near the start of the process..
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:25 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cupps
Has been awhile since I had to book a flight on BA with miles that I am not traveling. Went to book a flight last night for my daughter who is part of my household account. When I got to the end it would not allow me to change details of person traveling. Indicated that due to some recent changes on BA.com that I have to call the BA Service centre. When did this change as I could have sworn I have booked on BA using miles without traveling on the ticket?
Originally Posted by Wanderlust888
I think you'd gone too far as the person travelling is near the start of the process..
Yes, so you should be able to change the passenger on the first page after the "price quote" page. It should say 'Details of person paying' first and below that there should be a 'Is the payment card holder travelling on this booking?' selection. This defaults to yes, but just select no if booking for someone else. Below that under 'First Adult' you should be able to select the passenger from a drop down pick list.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Originally Posted by flashware
Absolutely, just keep checking back. You can setup an alert also on https://baredemptionfinder.com
Thanks for that site - I hadn't heard of it before.

For the group - did anyone mention already that with the Chase Visa (US) companion vouchers travel needs to be completed before the voucher expiration date? I got caught out on that a couple of years ago and ended up not being able to use the voucher I had intended, which was fine - I just used the one that expired the following year instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.