Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:17 am

Booked two tickets in economy under one locator. If business availability opens up fir thr same flight how much change fee will I incur + mileage difference?
$55 or $55*2 or none? I am assuming 55*2?
Thanks
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
The fee is per passenger.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Hi, I am ready to press book on some CW reward flights to MCO. There are reward seats available for the LGW to MCO leg but when I try to book from EDi it comes up as no availability.

Are the domestic reward flights released later than the usual t-355 or is this just a glitch? Either way, am I able to just book the return from LGW then call up and get the EDI connection added on?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by debster369
Hi, I am ready to press book on some CW reward flights to MCO. There are reward seats available for the LGW to MCO leg but when I try to book from EDi it comes up as no availability.

Are the domestic reward flights released later than the usual t-355 or is this just a glitch? Either way, am I able to just book the return from LGW then call up and get the EDI connection added on?
Domestics come out at T-355. Worth checking you can see EDI-LGW availability "standalone" in Club Europe. If so, try saying "yes" to a stopover but fly EDI-LGW and LGW-MCO on the same day, that may work if you have enough time between flights. Otherwise I'd given them a phone. If there's no reward available, or just Euro Traveller also try calling, they can sometimes force availability or book ET/ CW combo.

Another issue I've had for the return flight is with overnight flights. If you book your long haul at the limit of availability then the domestic leg won't be available. Here, just book the long haul then phone up to add the connection the next day. It's easier to do this within 24 hours of original booking, but I've never been charged a change fee if I don't manage to sort it until a few days later.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by BobServant
Another issue I've had for the return flight is with overnight flights. If you book your long haul at the limit of availability then the domestic leg won't be available. Here, just book the long haul then phone up to add the connection the next day. It's easier to do this within 24 hours of original booking, but I've never been charged a change fee if I don't manage to sort it until a few days later.
Thank you! This is exactly what has caused it, overnight flight back so tomorrow s actually t-355 for the flight back to EDI! I will book and call up tomorrow just to make sure the seats don’t disappear by then!
BobServant likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, ANA
Has anyone gotten into a situation where the stop repeatedly asks you if you want a stopover?? I have tried different browsers and devices, same BS. Tried bugging them on twitter and they told me to clear my damn cookies. Apparently these are shared between devices.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by vinyalwhl
Has anyone gotten into a situation where the stop repeatedly asks you if you want a stopover?? I have tried different browsers and devices, same BS. Tried bugging them on twitter and they told me to clear my damn cookies. Apparently these are shared between devices.
Reported quite often on here: Issues, bugs and glitches on ba.com website [Please keep thread clutter-free!]
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
If I booked a Multi carrier award starting in Brazil with stops in the USA and UK will the flights on BA attract YQ? Technically they shouldn't as it would be one ticket and no YQ is allowed on tickets issued from Brazil.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Most likely, as BA like charging YQ on these flights anyway unless challenged and pushed sufficiently far.
onlysuites likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: aeroplan, amex, priority club
im trying to see if its worth my while to change avion pts to avios and when i try flights to see what pts and taxes are , never works , says u want a stop over or not , click no , still get nothing , can anyone tell me what aa flights within usa or canada are like for taxes and avios pts , say bos to mia for example ., ive read taxes on flights to europe are high, so like to know if north america is better deal for pts.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by radoak
im trying to see if its worth my while to change avion pts to avios and when i try flights to see what pts and taxes are , never works , says u want a stop over or not , click no , still get nothing , can anyone tell me what aa flights within usa or canada are like for taxes and avios pts , say bos to mia for example ., ive read taxes on flights to europe are high, so like to know if north america is better deal for pts.
There are no carrier surcharges collected by BAEC for AA redemptions for travel wholly within the Americas (North and South, including Hawaii and the Caribbean).

BAEC charges for each flight flown, so a nonstop on AA will typically cost fewer BAEC Avios than connections. A BOS-MIA nonstop, assuming you can find "MileSAAver" availability at aa.com, should be bookable for 10,000 BAEC Avios one way in Economy Class; Business Class would be double that. Fees would be $5.60 each way, in either class of service.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: aeroplan, amex, priority club
thank u for the info , so if i find a flight with aa , i have to phone BAEC to book it, i cannot book it on there website ?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by radoak
thank u for the info , so if i find a flight with aa , i have to phone BAEC to book it, i cannot book it on there website ?
If you find a flight on aa.com with MileSAAver availability, you should be able to find and book that flight with Avios at ba.com. If you find connecting flights on aa.com with MileSAAver availability, and the connection does not show up on an award search at ba.com, you can either call a BAEC Service Center, or book each flight individually at ba.com -- subject to the caveat about AA's policy not to through-check bags on separate tickets.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Hi

New to the forum. Wish Chase has posted a link to this before I embarked on my goal to get the 100k Avios points!

I don't know if this is my ignorance, a website issue or just par for the course with Avios points. I've been trying to do searches from IAD-LHR and it keeps telling me there is an error or no flights available for award tickets. Is it possible that there is a program that is worse than Sky Pesos? As a United 1k maybe I'm spoiled.

In general is it very challenging to get these award tickets and anything but obscure routes? Looking online it appears there will be significant fees in redeeming the rewards as well.

Thanks
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Hi

New to the forum. Wish Chase has posted a link to this before I embarked on my goal to get the 100k Avios points!

I don't know if this is my ignorance, a website issue or just par for the course with Avios points. I've been trying to do searches from IAD-LHR and it keeps telling me there is an error or no flights available for award tickets. Is it possible that there is a program that is worse than Sky Pesos? As a United 1k maybe I'm spoiled.

In general is it very challenging to get these award tickets and anything but obscure routes? Looking online it appears there will be significant fees in redeeming the rewards as well.

Thanks
Hello DCEsquire and welcome over to the BA Forum and thanks for your question. I've no experience at all re Chase Visa but if I can point you in the right direction as below including about Avios. There is a BA Chase thread and if you want to read up on getting the most from your Avios there is another thread which I've linked below.

Doing a straight redemption enquiry on ba.com I can see quite good availability from October onwards for IAD to LHR with no issues looking and there's very little before then but that's understandable given it's now the peak summer season and a lot of the award seats will have been snapped up long ago.

Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1812259-your-guide-spending-avios-2017-edition.html

The sweet spot, and this is just my personal opinion as everyone values avios differently to get the most value out of them is I think, buying World Traveller Plus seats and using Avios to upgrade to business class and there's more info in the threads above including this one but there has to be availability to do that. The plus side for that is you'll earn avios for buying cash tickets.

The taxes, fees etc can be high using Avios for straight redemptions and it's all very subjective. The other alternative is look at nearby airports which may suit you to travel from but in the meantime any questions please add them here with dates, class of travel you're looking for etc and replies can be more specific.

There is an issue at the moment booking AA flights on ba.com.

Issues, bugs and glitches on ba.com website [Please keep thread clutter-free!]

Hopefully others with more experience than myself can advise but as I said upthread more details would be helpful in providing an answer. BAEC works well for me and many others and overall it's quite a good programme compared to many.
DCEsquire likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.