Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by wiivile
Thanks. I'd like to keep the MAN-LHR segment since it's free, but have the flexibility to simply not fly it in case I want to go to London earlier or later (by bus or train). I don't understand why this isn't possible, especially if I tell them in advance that I can't make the flight but intend on flying LHR-GIG... but I'm not going to risk losing the LHR-GIG segment over it.
You would be able to change the date of MAN-LHR if you wanted to fly down earlier, though that's subject to availability and maybe less convenient than the train.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
It simply isn't possible, your onward flight to GIG will be automatically cancelled.

You could always pay £35 and the phone service fee to change the date of the MAN-LHR or change the booking to just LHR-GIG, they will recalculate taxes at that point.

One benefit of having it on one booking would be in the case you will go MAN-LHR-GIG in one go you will be protected and your bags checked all the way.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: ba gold
Smile

Originally Posted by KARFA
I have some vague recollection that V class availability is always with reference to UK POS not your EC home POS. Looking at your example using UK POS V is indeed at 2 which would seems to bear this out.
as a followup I called the gold line and once I gave my account info and they logged into the us POS they managed to book 4 seats in line with with the v class availability in the us
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
I saw the new avios promotion to London. Tried to book an award round trip between Tokyo and London only to get a fare of ALMOST 500 EUROS in taxes and other fees!! ...! Is this normal?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by sodaisei
I saw the new avios promotion to London. Tried to book an award round trip between Tokyo and London only to get a fare of ALMOST 500 EUROS in taxes and other fees!! ...! Is this normal?
Probaly yes and I am seeing this return LHR-NRT for November as an example and not good value. From HKG on BA is incredibly cheap though if you can get there if you want to keep the cost down.

Total Price (Including all taxes, fees, and carrier charges)

19500 Avios + £ 426.52

More info here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1911949-reward-flight-sale-economy-world-traveller-half-avios-required.html

https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/06/01/british-airways-avios-economy-sale/
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Originally Posted by PETER01
Probaly yes and I am seeing this return LHR-NRT for November as an example and not good value. From HKG on BA is incredibly cheap though if you can get there if you want to keep the cost down.

Total Price (Including all taxes, fees, and carrier charges)

19500 Avios + £ 426.52

More info here:

Reward Flight Sale for Economy [World Traveller] - half the avios required
It is ridiculous... Good thing avios are really nice for intra japan awards.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by sodaisei
It is ridiculous... Good thing avios are really nice for intra japan awards.
Using Avios for BA Y flights for economy are generally speaking not good value at all.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Silver
Hi there, I have been reading this guide and thank you very much for all the comments. I do have a question that I hope someone could answer with relative ease.I am planning on taking my family to Orlando next July, early in the month before the schools finish for holidays (Scottish schools finished), I imagine that late July\August reward availability is virtually non-existent. I have a number of Avios points (circa 250k) that I would like to use for this trip preferably to get into WT+ to make the trip all that more special. More likely I would be looking to book in WT+ then use Avios to reduce the price as likelihood of reward availability on this route for WT+ would not be good. I am using May next year as a basis of checking reward availability as part of my research. I read on the first page that “you will often find that certain days of the week are permanently blocked for reward flights”, out of experience what days tend to be?. The challenge I have is needing to book the hotels etc by the end of this this month to take advantage of Disney’s deal. Would look to book to avoid the permanently blocked days to potentially have an opportunity of reward flight bookings. Looking at May it looks like Thursday through to Sunday ?

Many thanks in advance

David
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by frankied
Hi there, I have been reading this guide and thank you very much for all the comments. I do have a question that I hope someone could answer with relative ease.I am planning on taking my family to Orlando next July, early in the month before the schools finish for holidays (Scottish schools finished), I imagine that late July\August reward availability is virtually non-existent. I have a number of Avios points (circa 250k) that I would like to use for this trip preferably to get into WT+ to make the trip all that more special. More likely I would be looking to book in WT+ then use Avios to reduce the price as likelihood of reward availability on this route for WT+ would not be good. I am using May next year as a basis of checking reward availability as part of my research. I read on the first page that “you will often find that certain days of the week are permanently blocked for reward flights”, out of experience what days tend to be?. The challenge I have is needing to book the hotels etc by the end of this this month to take advantage of Disney’s deal. Would look to book to avoid the permanently blocked days to potentially have an opportunity of reward flight bookings. Looking at May it looks like Thursday through to Sunday ?

Many thanks in advance

David
Greetings from across the Pond!

While I cannot answer your specific questions, have you looked into getting yourself to DUB, and flying Aer Lingus from DUB to MCO? If you can find award space, you'll pay much lower cash surcharges than on a BA TATL award.

If you prefer to stay on BA, you might also consider checking BA's service to TPA, which is not that long a drive to/from Orlando.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:24 pm

Thanks for the reply, will also look at Aer Lingus, though they don't to a premium eco cabin. Also not sure how to login to the Avios reward site as a BA Exec club member. Will contine to try and figure this one out.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I am after two J seats on CX from BRU/AMS to HKG for the next April. I started looking for them more than a week ago and I found enough availability up 31th March, but nothing beyond.
I checked again this morning and still nothing, also from LHR or FRA. I am wondering if it's really an availability problem or CX has still to start to release something for the summer season 2019, while the flights are already bookable with money.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by frankied

Many thanks in advance

David
Hi David

Just to be clear, there are too ways to use your points to reduce the cost of WT+.

One is to book a cash fare and then use some avios to bring down the price. You can do this on any date as it doesn't book into reward space. The downside is that you get a pretty modest return on your avios: 250k avios will probably save you £1250.

The other is to make a standard (seats restricted) reward booking but then reduce the avios cost with more cash, from 100k+£420 to maybe 60k+£740 or 40k+£870. The latter is the best deal IMHO. However are you talking about a really good deal from Disney as I would be very wary of booking a package before having my flights sorted. This sort of reward availability is very unpredictable and it's not as if the gamble is getting you a good deal on the flights.

I can't say how you should value your avios, but if WT+ tickets are £1200 for example, I would seriously think about saving your avios this time and paying cash. With a bit more planning, using them for RFS (admittedly not as useful from Scotland) or getting some Amex 241 vouchers so you can stretch to a longhaul business class trip would be a better return. The latter is possible for a family: as it happens I've just taken 5 of us to MCO at Easter.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:50 am

How is other people's experience getting Avios seats in F to and from SCL?

I know nothing is guaranteed - I will book a J return at T-355, but this trip is a special one and would like to travel in F!
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by shadowline
How is other people's experience getting Avios seats in F to and from SCL?

I know nothing is guaranteed - I will book a J return at T-355, but this trip is a special one and would like to travel in F!
No experience at all on the SCL route but in general if you have ExpertFlyer, £7.50 per month and worth it if you fly often, you can set up an alert as well as checking ba.com every day.

If any F seats are to be released then midnight is when it usually happens or sometimes after 1500 hours.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by pauldb
Hi David

Just to be clear, there are too ways to use your points to reduce the cost of WT+.

One is to book a cash fare and then use some avios to bring down the price. You can do this on any date as it doesn't book into reward space. The downside is that you get a pretty modest return on your avios: 250k avios will probably save you £1250.

The other is to make a standard (seats restricted) reward booking but then reduce the avios cost with more cash, from 100k+£420 to maybe 60k+£740 or 40k+£870. The latter is the best deal IMHO. However are you talking about a really good deal from Disney as I would be very wary of booking a package before having my flights sorted. This sort of reward availability is very unpredictable and it's not as if the gamble is getting you a good deal on the flights.

I can't say how you should value your avios, but if WT+ tickets are £1200 for example, I would seriously think about saving your avios this time and paying cash. With a bit more planning, using them for RFS (admittedly not as useful from Scotland) or getting some Amex 241 vouchers so you can stretch to a longhaul business class trip would be a better return. The latter is possible for a family: as it happens I've just taken 5 of us to MCO at Easter.
Hi there

Thanks for taking the time to reply, it has giving me some idea of how best to use or not to use them this trip and maybe use them sometime in the future.

Out of interest are Thursday to Sundays normally the worse days in looking at reward bookings ?. Appears that way on the BA.com reward flight finder.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.