Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Prospero
01 Additional Gold benefits
  • Priority Reward is an opportunity for Gold card holders to book any available seat in any cabin, provided there are commercial seats available for sale on any flight for double the standard redemption rate. Priority Reward bookings can only be made offline, more than 30 days in advance and are open to BA mainline flights only. A £15 service fee applies. Changes to Priority Rewards booking are possible within 30 days but only if normal redemption classes are available.
Can I use this to book tickets for myself and my girlfriend, or can I only book it for myself? (travelling on the same flight, she doesn't have gold status)
Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LucasSev
Can I use this to book tickets for myself and my girlfriend, or can I only book it for myself? (travelling on the same flight, she doesn't have gold status)
Hi LucasSev and welcome to FT!

Yes that's fine, you can book a Gold Priority Reward for both of you. In fact you can book for someone even if you are not travelling yourself.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
UUA Question on TA Booking

Evening all. I’m travelling on a European “medium” run this week in the evening and thought I might treat myself to a seat at the front, just for a bit of extra space and a one-prawn salad :-)

My ticket has been issued by the corporate travel agent. Here's what I know:

- My fare in ET is UUA-eligible
- there are Avios seats in CE
- my profile country matches the travel agency country

I can get almost all the way through the online UUA process in MMB but then it cr*ps out and says contact the TA.

So I’ve done that and they’ll take a look Monday, but I don’t know if they’ve ever done this before or will know what to do.

If they’re not successful for any reason, will I be able to do the UUA on ba.com at T-24? Or is there something specific I should tell the TA to enable them to do it?

TIA

OB
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by OxfordBlue
Evening all. I’m travelling on a European “medium” run this week in the evening and thought I might treat myself to a seat at the front, just for a bit of extra space and a one-prawn salad :-)

My ticket has been issued by the corporate travel agent. Here's what I know:

- My fare in ET is UUA-eligible
- there are Avios seats in CE
- my profile country matches the travel agency country

I can get almost all the way through the online UUA process in MMB but then it cr*ps out and says contact the TA.

So I’ve done that and they’ll take a look Monday, but I don’t know if they’ve ever done this before or will know what to do.

If they’re not successful for any reason, will I be able to do the UUA on ba.com at T-24? Or is there something specific I should tell the TA to enable them to do it?

TIA

OB
Unless you are in Q/O/G selling classes or on some kind of bulk fare you should be able to UuA. It is not surprising it doesn't work through MMB - tbh I would be more surprised if it had worked. You need to call BA to do the UuA.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
Unless you are in Q/O/G selling classes or on some kind of bulk fare you should be able to UuA. It is not surprising it doesn't work through MMB - tbh I would be more surprised if it had worked. You need to call BA to do the UuA.
Thanks KARFA, I suspected that might be the case, readings here and elsewhere indicate a low success rate on MMB for tickets not sold through BA channels. They’re not going to hit me with a fee for upgrading by phone, are they?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by OxfordBlue
Thanks KARFA, I suspected that might be the case, readings here and elsewhere indicate a low success rate on MMB for tickets not sold through BA channels. They’re not going to hit me with a fee for upgrading by phone, are they?
There aren't any service fees associated with a UuA so you shouldn't be charged anything additional. Cost should just be the avios and (if applicable) the extra APD from ET to CE (£13).
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
I always use CX from HKG-KUL but no availability on days I need. Looking at the MH option but they charge £79 in taxes for business. I thought HKG had imposed some max on taxes and fees etc? Even BA flight from HKG-LHR only has £30 in taxes. Any insight? Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:18 am

[left]
Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
I always use CX from HKG-KUL but no availability on days I need. Looking at the MH option but they charge £79 in taxes for business. I thought HKG had imposed some max on taxes and fees etc? Even BA flight from HKG-LHR only has £30 in taxes. Any insight? Thanks
some of that is genuine airport/government fees. Looking at a revenue booking theses seem to be applicable:

Hong Kong Air Passenger Departure Tax (HK)£10.90
Hong Kong Airport Passenger Security Charge (I5)£4.10
Hong Kong Airport Construction Fee (G3)£14.60

However what isn’t showing on the revenue booking and is doing so on the reward booking on MH is £47 of carrier surcharge - and unfortunately I can’t explain that.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
[left]

some of that is genuine airport/government fees. Looking at a revenue booking theses seem to be applicable:

Hong Kong Air Passenger Departure Tax (HK)£10.90
Hong Kong Airport Passenger Security Charge (I5)£4.10
Hong Kong Airport Construction Fee (G3)£14.60

However what isn’t showing on the revenue booking and is doing so on the reward booking on MH is £47 of carrier surcharge - and unfortunately I can’t explain that.
Interesting. Thanks KARFA.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:10 am

There aren't any service fees associated with a UuA so you shouldn't be charged anything additional. Cost should just be the avios and (if applicable) the extra APD from ET to CE (£13).
Update: called BA this morning. Painless. Short wait times on phone, only transferred once from whoever I spoke to first to BAEC, and the whole call done in <9 minutes. So pretty good really - I wonder if they will ever fix the IT so I can do it online... thanks again, KARFA

OT: I’ve read the feedback on the “medium” meals and some experiments with special meals that give better results. Thinking about ordering KSML; any anecdotal suggestions welcome (I have no dietary requirements other than a tasty and filling dinner!)

OB
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA
Is it possible to put EI and AS on the same itinerary? i.e. DUB-JFK-LAX. Neither are oneworld partners so I don't think the 2+ oneworld carrier chart would apply...
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile
Is it possible to put EI and AS on the same itinerary? i.e. DUB-JFK-LAX. Neither are oneworld partners so I don't think the 2+ oneworld carrier chart would apply...
it would still be a multi partner reward booking though since you have two partners.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
No, it would not use the multipartner chart. It will price as the sum of two one ways using the distance chart. You can test this with a CX-BE connection.
The multipartner chart is just for oneworld.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501
No, it would not use the multipartner chart. It will price as the sum of two one ways using the distance chart. You can test this with a CX-BE connection.
The multipartner chart is just for oneworld.
thanks for clarifying
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:18 pm

Just noted that the Lloyds Upgrade Voucher on Avios lets you book the free connection eg GLA-LGW-BGI and return now instead of having to phone to add...^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.