Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:41 am

Hi all,

It doesn't seem possible to book a redemption online out in F and back in Y.

If I call up can it be booked on the phone? Will there be a charge for the telephone booking considering it is impossible to book online (using voucher so cant book as two singles)

Also, if the Reward Flight Finder on the app initially shows availability which then disappears when trying to book it, is that just a ghost or is it worth calling up asking them to look into it?

Thanks
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by mastutio

If I call up can it be booked on the phone?
Availability on the return opened up in F this morning so no need to know now!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:09 am

Availability on the return opened up in F this morning so no need to know now!
Just ring and book but if F is now available on the return why not book F both ways which you can do online?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by flashware
Just ring and book but if F is now available on the return why not book F both ways which you can do online?
Don't worry I was on to it like a rat up a drainpipe. LHR-LAS return in June. Can't wait!
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:51 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Am I right in thinking that one can only UuA an open jaw (multi-city) booking once it is booked with cash first? (so it's not possible to book it at the time of booking (at least online)?

I assume one could phone up and pay the charges (as a Silver) but online I'd have to book with cash then afterwards upgrade the leg in question if availability was still there?

I see this line in the sticky '
You can also UuA one or several legs of a return or multi-city booking
and haven't been able to find a way to book the UuA on an open jaw using BA.com at least. (it's a BA redemption on both legs and using BA website direct).

TIA for any comments/advice.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA

no, it’s one cabin upgrade only.
Lucky for me availability was released in CW SYD-SIN next week Tuesday. Managed to UuA.
Is the system smart enough to only allow it once or can I chance it and try to do the same from my current club sector to F? There are 7! reward seats still available in F that day.. loads are obviously light.

Globalist
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Globalist
Lucky for me availability was released in CW SYD-SIN next week Tuesday. Managed to UuA.
Is the system smart enough to only allow it once or can I chance it and try to do the same from my current club sector to F? There are 7! reward seats still available in F that day.. loads are obviously light.

Globalist
You are not in a selling class which can be UuA’ed since your previous UuA would have put you in U.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Globalist
Managed to UuA.
Is the system smart enough to only allow it once ...
Short answer: yes.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold

You are not in a selling class which can be UuA’ed since your previous UuA would have put you in U.
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Short answer: yes.
Just when you would want the BA IT system not to work... it works..

Thanks both for your helpful replies.

Globalist
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Hi all,

If I call up can it be booked on the phone? Will there be a charge for the telephone booking considering it is impossible to book online (using voucher so cant book as two singles)

Also, if the Reward Flight Finder on the app initially shows availability which then disappears when trying to book it, is that just a ghost or is it worth calling up asking them to look into it?

Thanks
You should be able to book 2 one ways
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I am trying to book an award ticket for somebody else and when I get to the stage where you enter passenger’s name and details and try to go to the next step, I get an error message along the lines of “please check the last name of the first passenger”. Is this a known issue, or am I going through the booking sequence the right way? I had this once in the past and the problem had cleared itself a couple of days later. But it’s annoying if you think you’re going to miss a rare award seat.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:27 am

Pondering some options for using an Amex 2-4-1, and one possibility would be the Babybus outbound to JFK and returning via LHR.

I assumed that searching NCL-JFK would work, but despite trying quite a few dates, I can't see any options for BA001 (i.e. going via LCY). Plenty via LHR and, with a warning about travelling between airports, via LGW.

Yet if I specify LCY-JFK, that gives me lots of availability for the same weekday dates (including returning flights via AA and CDG, which the 2-4-1 wouldn't be valid with).

I don't think I've seen anyone raise this particular before, but is this because BA001 is meant to depart at 09:50 and the minimum connection LHR-LCY is insufficient, even on the first BA flight of the day? If so, I assume one can force the connection as an overnight, via the 'stopover' option at the beginning of the process?

Edit: yes, this seems to be the case (though BA001 departs later on some days, the one I was looking at was about lunchtime, so I am not sure why there was no availability for a same-day connection?). Taxes and fees are a good Ł620-odd per person…

Last edited by squawk; Oct 30, 2018 at 4:32 am Reason: Add detail
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by squawk
Pondering some options for using an Amex 2-4-1, and one possibility would be the Babybus outbound to JFK and returning via LHR.

I assumed that searching NCL-JFK would work, but despite trying quite a few dates, I can't see any options for BA001 (i.e. going via LCY). Plenty via LHR and, with a warning about travelling between airports, via LGW.

Yet if I specify LCY-JFK, that gives me lots of availability for the same weekday dates (including returning flights via AA and CDG, which the 2-4-1 wouldn't be valid with).

I don't think I've seen anyone raise this particular before, but is this because BA001 is meant to depart at 09:50 and the minimum connection LHR-LCY is insufficient, even on the first BA flight of the day? If so, I assume one can force the connection as an overnight, via the 'stopover' option at the beginning of the process?
Unless the first NCL southbound arrives at LHR by 0650 you wouldn't meet MCT. BA1 goes a bit later just after midday on Fridays and Sundays so that could work with an early arrival in to LHR. Alternative would be late southbound from NCL and stay overnight, so choosing the stopover option should work.
squawk likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:51 am

Unless the first NCL southbound arrives at LHR by 0650 you wouldn't meet MCT. BA1 goes a bit later just after midday on Fridays and Sundays so that could work with an early arrival in to LHR. Alternative would be late southbound from NCL and stay overnight, so choosing the stopover option should work.
Ah, thanks @KARFA - didn’t realise it was a Fri/Sun thing for BA1. Thanks for the explanation.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by squawk

Ah, thanks @KARFA - didn’t realise it was a Fri/Sun thing for BA1. Thanks for the explanation.
Yes. Very interesting! Thanks for that info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.