Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by ubiest

There is the IB3166 / BA522 pair of flights on an A340, which has recently changed to the new A350
On the BA side BA456/457 when it is served by a 777, also has lie-flat seats.

The other RFS route that consistently has lie flat seats is DME, either on A321 or B787/777.

Thank you for your advice. So looks like Moscow or Madrid might be decent options Is it possible to check which aircraft is used on these flights when it comes to booking?
Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by memesweeper

1. Yes but only when long haul planes are used short haul - Madrid is I think the only route running at the moment.
2. If you want business in long haul format my suggestion would be spend 12 months getting more points and doing research. If you’re in the U.K. the Head for Points blog gives lots of tips on Avios earning deals mainly involving credit card bonuses. Also make sure you buy everything online via the Avios estore or topcashback.

note there is a little known snag with the 2-4-1 — if you are a few points short of a redemption when booking with BA you can make good with some extra cash to buy the missing Avios: this is not available to you at checkout when using a 2-4-1 — you must have all the points required ready to use.
Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated. Looks ike I’ll be getting family to sign up to some credit cards!
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Ghost11A

Thank you for your advice. So looks like Moscow or Madrid might be decent options Is it possible to check which aircraft is used on these flights when it comes to booking?
Moscow DME and SVO always have lie-flats, as the service is CW. However, in case one of the exBMI A321’s is unavailable, it may be replaced by an A320/A321 with Eurobusiness seats.
The first morning flight BA233 is on widebody through the summer schedule.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by ubiest

There is the IB3166 / BA522 pair of flights on an A340, which has recently changed to the new A350
On the BA side BA456/457 when it is served by a 777, also has lie-flat seats.

The other RFS route that consistently has lie flat seats is DME, either on A321 or B787/777.
The Iberia flights are only until early September or so, then they're back to A340 (still very nice). No RFS on these though.

The BA rotation is the 460/461 and the winter schedule has been updated to reflect this too.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat | United Silver | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | Marriott Titanium | IHG Ambassador
Hello, having trouble getting ORD - BIS - ORD to populate on the Avios booking site (AA flies ORD to BIS and award space is available). Any tricks beyond calling to get BIS ticketed? We've been on hold for over 20 min now so I consider this post a short race to an answer...would be good for the future also. Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by BA6501
The Iberia flights are only until early September or so, then they're back to A340 (still very nice). No RFS on these though.

The BA rotation is the 460/461 and the winter schedule has been updated to reflect this too.
thanks for the update BA6501!
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:50 pm
bcx

Are long-haul (NRT/HKG to US) Premium Economy tickets at double the points of Economy tickets worth it for redeeming Avios on partners like CX and JL (Boeing 777)?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
On Oct 1 i will fly back from Mia to Hea in WTP. It will be my "you made it to gold" flight and i really want to make this flight on the 747 to be a flight to remember. The miss is flying with me. Allthough i try to see if upgrade to business is available, it gives me an error as a second flight HEA AMS is on the same booking and that flight has no availability.

is there any way to see if i can upgrade the first leg to business using Avios and how can i do that?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Just search as if you were making a normal reward booking MIA-LHR (I guess you mean Heathrow = LHR). Your upgrade would use the same reward availability as a simple reward.

Currently there's nothing available. Both flights are wide open for booking at the moment so I guess there's some hope (looks like some late availability opened for Aug 6th & 13th for comparison). You can set up a search to monitor this for you on baredemptionfinder.com .

There are 3 J rewards on the 1710 flight the next day if your ticket is changeable.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by pauldb
Just search as if you were making a normal reward booking MIA-LHR (I guess you mean Heathrow = LHR). Your upgrade would use the same reward availability as a simple reward.

Currently there's nothing available. Both flights are wide open for booking at the moment so I guess there's some hope (looks like some late availability opened for Aug 6th & 13th for comparison). You can set up a search to monitor this for you on baredemptionfinder.com .

There are 3 J rewards on the 1710 flight the next day if your ticket is changeable.
thank you for the quick response. When i try to upgrade it pnly says that there is no availability on the AMS flight. But your answer clarifies why i am unable to upgrade.
there is no chance on chaning the dates as i will have another flight on Oct 3rd and wont be able to make that trip once im back from the US.

Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
You would most likely need to pick up the phone to make this change, if it were available.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:18 am

I am booking my honeymoon for December 2019 from LHR-SYD, I have to Avios and the companion voucher ready to go, my understanding is that there should be 2 Club flights on every flight. How do I go about securing those, I understand it involves late night phone calls and only booking a one way on the Companion voucher to start with.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 5:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by victairinternational
I am booking my honeymoon for December 2019 from LHR-SYD, I have to Avios and the companion voucher ready to go, my understanding is that there should be 2 Club flights on every flight. How do I go about securing those, I understand it involves late night phone calls and only booking a one way on the Companion voucher to start with.
This is a good Wiki guide to read with a FAQ question section and basically be ready to book by phoning beforehand so when the clock strikes at T-355 days you can hopefully get 2 seats. Here is a useful entry and there's also a guide on Headforpoints too.

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

This is a useful bit of info too and there's lots of threads on 241's which is also in post 5.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29409901-post6.html
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:46 pm

I'm trying to find Reward availability:
in Club or First
to get from New England (NYC, BOS, PHL, YYZ, YUL) to LHR (or ideally ZRH, but adding that as a cash flight is easy)
in September

Absolutely no availability. October looks similar. Yet there is availability in August...i.e. at shorter notice. Used ba.com and qantas.com to search.

Is there something daft I'm doing? Is September really so popular for TATL reward bookings that they are all gone? (never had problems finding something before as long as I've been a bit flexible with dates.)
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by heckenhocker
I'm trying to find Reward availability:
in Club or First
to get from New England (NYC, BOS, PHL, YYZ, YUL) to LHR (or ideally ZRH, but adding that as a cash flight is easy)
in September

Absolutely no availability. October looks similar. Yet there is availability in August...i.e. at shorter notice. Used ba.com and qantas.com to search.

Is there something daft I'm doing? Is September really so popular for TATL reward bookings that they are all gone? (never had problems finding something before as long as I've been a bit flexible with dates.)
The aa.com website is showing MileSAAver F availability on a few dates late September-mid October. These seats should be bookable with Avios, but you might have to call BAEC to book if the award seats are not showing up on ba.com.
heckenhocker likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.