Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA
They are Lloyds Avios vouchers but are both in my name and I don't have anywhere near enough points to use on my own
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Dai Phillips
They are Lloyds Avios vouchers but are both in my name and I don't have anywhere near enough points to use on my own
Then what I'd suggest is going to one of these two threads: Lloyds Avios rewards card upgrade voucher: what can I do with it? and Lloyds Avios 'Upgrade Voucher to see whether there is existing help on this, or whether someone can think of something. I'm sorry that I know absolutely nothing about these Lloyds vouchers, including the question whether they could have been used to upgrade both of you when both vouchers are in your name.

The advice about a BAEC HHA still stands, though: you may well get some of the benefit you need from that. So do have a look at the pros and cons of forming one.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
How quickly do you need/plan to book your Thailand flights? I can't say this for sure but I suspect when the avios.com programme closes, it will become normal practice for your Lloyds redemption avios to be taken from you BA HHA, rather than your own personal balance, so your redemption will work if you have an BA HHA with your partner.

If you need to book sooner (before the forced switch takes effect) I would still try sorting your BA HHA account, then calling the 0344 49 333 49 number and (loosely) explain that all your avios are in your BA account: could they bring-forward the future-process for you and debit your BA (HHA) account rather than your avios.com account?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
In regards to Multi Carrier rewards. I am looking at using the top bracket so 50k miles. If I book a reward for November travel in June. When do I have to finish the flights? Is it 1 year from the booking date or 1 year from the first flight?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by onlysuites
In regards to Multi Carrier rewards. I am looking at using the top bracket so 50k miles. If I book a reward for November travel in June. When do I have to finish the flights? Is it 1 year from the booking date or 1 year from the first flight?
I can’t give you a specific MC answer but in normal terms you obviously can’t book a flight beyond the carriers’ booking windows (355 days for BA) so that is your limitation rather than the ticket’s one year validity from the booking date.

However you should be able to later push back your latter flight dates, and have the ticket reissued at that point, up until your first flight, with the validity then becoming one year from that date. Essentially therefore you can have 1 year from the first flight.

That’s for a normal reward but I can’t see why a MC reward would be different, but you are of course relying on being able to find availability to make the valid date (or maybe route) change to your desired itinerary.
onlysuites likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: aadvantage, avios
Smile Help using AVIOS JFK-LED

Have 140K Avios. Need advice re how to book biz class on AA from either BOS-LED or JFK-LED in July or August
or to book on AA or any airline and then upgrade with Avios from either BOS-LED or JFK-LED in July or August
Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:12 am

Hello all,

I have 500,000 avios and a BA 2 for 1 voucher.

I'm looking to take my family of 5 (our baby boy will be 22 months) to California in August 19 for a few weeks. Am I likely to be able to find seats for us in Club World?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by BA66
Hello all,

I have 500,000 avios and a BA 2 for 1 voucher.

I'm looking to take my family of 5 (our baby boy will be 22 months) to California in August 19 for a few weeks. Am I likely to be able to find seats for us in Club World?
Probably. But probably not on the same plane.

BA guarantee release of 2 seats per plane in CW. More may be released, but it's less likely in busy times.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
https://baredemptionfinder.com/ is your friend — be prepared to open jaw or split across flights (SFO and LAX both have more than one a day).
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:51 pm
duo

Anyone know what are BAs business rules around releasing CW seats for redemption? Looking for a ticket to HK and there are tons of seats on both flights on the day I am after but no award availability
Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by duo
Anyone know what are BAs business rules around releasing CW seats for redemption? Looking for a ticket to HK and there are tons of seats on both flights on the day I am after but no award availability
The only rule is that when bookings open for that flight (about 355 days before the flight), there are guaranteed to be two CW award seats available at that time. And that means "at that time"; sometimes these can be booked within a matter of seconds.

Other than that, it is purely at BA's commercial discretion. Remember that the airline's aim is not to fill the aircraft; any fool can do that. It is not even to make the maximum revenue possible on that specific flight. The aim is to make the operation make the maximum profit on a sustainable long-term basis, and that can mean deliberately flying with empty seats even if people would like to get those seats at a cut-price rate by upgrading using Avios. This is the reasoning underlying BA's frequent decision not to make award seats available.

You don't say when your flight is, but there are three things to bear in mind which are increasingly true the further away the flight is. First, you can have no idea how many reservations BA has taken for the CW cabin on your flight. Second, you can have no idea how the current booking level matches the predicted booking profile at this point in the year-long selling cycle. Third, you can have no idea whether BA expects to be able to sell every single seat in the cabin by the time of departure for a better fare than is represented by an upgrade using Avios. All of those things affect whether BA will release any more award seats.
duo likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 11:39 pm

Why is there a cash cost in addition to the miles? I flew LHR LYS and LYS LHR 2 weeks later and in addition to the 7500 or 9000 miles for business class I had to pay $63 LHR LYS and $45 coming back.

Also by the way, coming back the website said only 1 seat left yet there were only 3 people in all of business class. (And how can that be considered peak???)
Old May 2, 2018, 2:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dubiox
Why is there a cash cost in addition to the miles? I flew LHR LYS and LYS LHR 2 weeks later and in addition to the 7500 or 9000 miles for business class I had to pay $63 LHR LYS and $45 coming back.

Also by the way, coming back the website said only 1 seat left yet there were only 3 people in all of business class. (And how can that be considered peak???)
When you book just click on the information icon next to the taxes/fees.charges figure as it will give you a breakdown.

LHR-LYS in CE
United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge Departures (UB) $26.60
United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty APD (GB) $35.80

LYS-LHR in CE
France Passenger Service Charge International (QX) $14.30
France Civil Aviation Tax Domestic And International (FR) $15.50
France Air Passenger Solidarity Tax (IZ) $13.60

If you qualified for reward flight saver (RFS) your taxes/fees/charges would be capped at £17.50 for ET or £25 for CE per flight.

BA does not release all free seats for rewards, this is how European airlines generally work as opposed to US airlines where every seat in business is usually filled one way or another. BA can designate peak and off-peak dates as they wish.
Old May 5, 2018, 7:28 am

Going to add this here as it's hopefully useful for someone.

In March I made a 2-4-1 booking. I spotted 2*F seats from LHR-MIA but there was no return. I quickly grabbed those using miles and the 2-4-1 voucher with the intention of adding a return leg later on.

A couple of days later I called up and added JFK-LHR in CW. I received the bill which included 2*£35 change fee (but not a 2*£15 service centre fee). I queried this as one can't make open jaw bookings online and was told a refund of $70 was forthcoming. Since then and before travelling I cancelled the whole lot and got the 241 voucher and cash refund quickly but was still out the original £70 fee.

Just queried it again today and basically because the JFK-LHR flights were available at the time I booked the outbound LHR-MIA, the change fee stands. I was never billed the 2*£15 fee as open jaws can't be made online.

If the JFK availability had been 0 at the time of the outbound booking I would not have been charged £70 and if I'd phoned up and booked LHR-MIA and JFK-LHR in one go I would not have been charged either a 2*£15 or 2*£35 fee.

So the short answer is to phone for open jaw bookings. Hopefully this will help others not fall into the same trap.
Old May 5, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA
What is the current situation with YQ on BA flights to/from Brasil? I remember that YQ used to be prohibited there; not sure if that is still the case but flights to/from Brazil still show significant YQ. If YQ is indeed prohibited it would be one of the better/best Avios redemptions. I seem to remember people getting YQ refunded after ticketing years ago?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.