Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2018 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
Quick question, my membership year ends on the 8th January and I am planning some travel around this date but ideally want the tier points to go into my next membership year. So tier points credit on the date you fly or the date they are posted to the account. I have noticed usually there is a 48 delay in tier points posting so if I flew on the 6th is it possible they won't post until my next membership year or will they post into this year regardless?

Finally do flights on the 8th post old year or new?

Many thanks
Flights which are scheduled to depart on or before the 8th will credit on the old year even if they post on 9th or afterwards.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA

Flights which are scheduled to depart on or before the 8th will credit on the old year even if they post on 9th or afterwards.
Thank you, I guessed as much but just wanted to check! Many thanks for the clarification
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Does anyone know why a membership year end date might change?

I (re)joined the BAEC in June this year in order to transfer my Avios balance across. My year showed then as ending on 8 July 2019.

Until the last few days. Maybe a coincidence, but I took my first flights with BA since June last weekend (to BEY - great trip!) and when I looked at my account today, my year now ends on 8 December 2019. I called the BAEC number to ask why, but was told that it had always been that date. I'm not bothered (it's actually better for me because the status I get this year will last 5 months longer!), just intrigued.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by peter h
Does anyone know why a membership year end date might change?

I (re)joined the BAEC in June this year in order to transfer my Avios balance across. My year showed then as ending on 8 July 2019.

Until the last few days. Maybe a coincidence, but I took my first flights with BA since June last weekend (to BEY - great trip!) and when I looked at my account today, my year now ends on 8 December 2019.
Yes, this is something which is supposed to happen when you take your first flight after opening a new account. It won't change again after this.
peter h likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Yes, this is something which is supposed to happen when you take your first flight after opening a new account. It won't change again after this.
Timely question as I've just been trying to research this for a new couple starting up.
So are you saying, that whatever date you join, your TP year will eventually be set to coincide with your first flight?
In which case, if they join up on different dates, but take their first flight together, their TP years will become synchronised?
What if that first flight is over a year after joining?
What are the pros and cons of having the same TP year dates for a couple - ours are 6 months out of phase and it is annoying as most of our travel is together so we have to be careful about maximising status benefits for both of us.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
So are you saying, that whatever date you join, your TP year will eventually be set to coincide with your first flight?
In which case, if they join up on different dates, but take their first flight together, their TP years will become synchronised?
If the system does that which BA has said it should, and which is illustrated by peter h's example, then I think that this should be the consequence.

Whether it reliably works in practice is something that I don't know. ISTR that there are occasional reports that it hasn't worked like this. But one problem is that this is something that only affects new Blue members, and then only once in their lifetimes, and we have relatively few of these who are actively FTers and able to report on what happens.
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
What are the pros and cons of having the same TP year dates for a couple - ours are 6 months out of phase and it is annoying as most of our travel is together so we have to be careful about maximising status benefits for both of us.
You do have to look at your travel patterns to see how this would all work out in practice. If (like my companion and me) your natural travel patterns mean that you are at risk of shuttling between Silver and Gold from year to year, but you do most of your travel together, then having year ends that are out of sync means that there is more chance that at least one of you will be Gold at any one time, and therefore able to confer Gold benefits on both in a booking. If your years are aligned, you could instead find that you are both Silver at the same time, and perhaps for a significant period of time.

One downside to there only being one Gold in a couple is if you're flying WT+ or WT and you arrive at LHR: only the Gold gets Arrivals Lounge access, with no guesting privilege. But it's easy to get too upset about such a mismatch if the alternative would actually be that neither of you can get in to the Arrivals Lounge.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Thanks, Globaliser. Same here, I cant remember what happened when I first joined, and I had been in for a while before we got together, so have no idea what happened to our TP year dates when my partner joined. I do know that she will have earned over 1500 TP within 12 months this year which are unfortunately split over 2 TP years. Now trying to provide best advice to my son and daughter-in-law as they start down the road of credit cards and travel perks.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
My 2p : as a couple most of the benefits of status flow if *one* of you has the right status.... so overlapping TP years can be useful. It might increase the chances that one of you passed a threshold in 52 + 2 weeks.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:00 pm

Is a P fare Premium Economy on AA now without exception earning the same as WTP on BA? Specifically the LHR-JFK route such as on flights AA100 and 101. The BA calculator suggests 90 TP and AA's website confirms these are true Premium Economy following conversion and not just Main Cabin Extra but I have been burned in previous years expecting 90 and receiving something paltry equivalent to regular Economy. Is P generally safe from AA's games where they award only 20 or 40 treating no different to Economy or does it depend on the route?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC
Hello, thanks in advance for any response.

Now I should probably (or potentially know) the answer to this, but I'd love some clarification. If a booking is made with another BAEC account and the single fare is booked through that account, does the single passenger get the benefits of the account it is booked through? i.e a pax (family member) who has no status, is booked through a BAEC Gold or Silver account, do they get the benefits of that account? Or is that not possible? Would the account holder have to be travelling also on the same ticket?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Hello, thanks in advance for any response.

Now I should probably (or potentially know) the answer to this, but I'd love some clarification. If a booking is made with another BAEC account and the single fare is booked through that account, does the single passenger get the benefits of the account it is booked through? i.e a pax (family member) who has no status, is booked through a BAEC Gold or Silver account, do they get the benefits of that account? Or is that not possible? Would the account holder have to be travelling also on the same ticket?
The benefits are personal to the status holder but are extended to those traveling with them, though not necessarily on the same PNR.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:13 am

I’ve scanned through the thread, but couldn’t find the answer, so hopefully I haven’t missed it. What does BA count as a flight? I need 300 points and 2 eligible flights to proceed to the next tier. The flights will earn 360 points. I currently have UK-UK-US and return booked. Does BA see this as one flight (round trip) two (out & back) or four (sectors)?

Many thanks.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DD1976
I’ve scanned through the thread, but couldn’t find the answer, so hopefully I haven’t missed it. What does BA count as a flight? I need 300 points and 2 eligible flights to proceed to the next tier. The flights will earn 360 points. I currently have UK-UK-US and return booked. Does BA see this as one flight (round trip) two (out & back) or four (sectors)?

Many thanks.
Each segment is a flight unless the segments have the same flight number, which is rare and would not be the case here.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:48 am

Thanks MADPhil! That’s great!
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

This thread is being closed to ensure good housekeeping. However there is a new thread for 2019 and that can be found here:

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2019 edition

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.