Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2018 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Globaliser
This page is your friend: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...r/public/en_gb

It looks like the only significant difference in numbers may be on a US domestic sector, and that could be something to do with minimum earn rates. However, you do need to check the booking class for each itinerary. Just saying "in Y" won't help you if the respective fares book into a non-earning class on one airline when it would book into an earning class on the other; or if the booking classes fall into different earn rates ("Economy lowest", "Economy low" or "Economy flexible") on the two different airlines. Price alone will not determine that.
Great, thanks! We won’t be booking for another week so I will get updated quotes then and note the specific booking class each sector is in and then compare to the calculator.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:46 am

I have recently booked reward flights using a 241 AMEX voucher. The itinerary is
INV>LHR Euro traveller (Fare X)
LHR>SEA First Class (Fare Z)
OAK>LGW Premium Y (Class P)
LGW>EDI Euro Traveller (Class X)

I know I am not meant to get avios or TPs for this (certainly not with those fare buckets), but MMB says I am due 300TP for the trip. Can I rely on this or is it just an anomaly?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by spanglysteve
Can I rely on this or is it just an anomaly?
MMB is just wrong. It often is. You should expect to get zero Avios and zero TPs for this trip, as that is what the rules say ought to happen.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Just curious if anyone has had any luck earning Avios on Alaska flights that were previously operated by Virgin America. I've got an upcoming flight from SFO - LAS that is ticketed and booked as Alaska, but the Avios calculator doesn't recognize this as an Alaska route.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by dcmike
Just curious if anyone has had any luck earning Avios on Alaska flights that were previously operated by Virgin America. I've got an upcoming flight from SFO - LAS that is ticketed and booked as Alaska, but the Avios calculator doesn't recognize this as an Alaska route.
I don't believe anything operated by VX will be eligible until April 25, 2018, when the VX flights will all be AS flights. Until then the VX operated flights are not eligible.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I don't believe anything operated by VX will be eligible until April 25, 2018, when the VX flights will all be AS flights. Until then the VX operated flights are not eligible.
Thanks Jerry!
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Globaliser
This page is your friend: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...r/public/en_gb

It looks like the only significant difference in numbers may be on a US domestic sector, and that could be something to do with minimum earn rates. However, you do need to check the booking class for each itinerary. Just saying "in Y" won't help you if the respective fares book into a non-earning class on one airline when it would book into an earning class on the other; or if the booking classes fall into different earn rates ("Economy lowest", "Economy low" or "Economy flexible") on the two different airlines. Price alone will not determine that.
Just looked at the various earnings by booking class for our specific booking and booking on the JL codes is a little cheaper and also earns slightly more Avios so that’s a double win.

The only odd thing I saw was for NRT-ORD, the calculator says JL earns both Avios and TPs in the lowest class but on AA only Avios are earned, and the tier point column says “zero”.

I know some classes don’t earn anything at all but this is the first time I’ve seen a oneworld flight earn Avios (and a lot of Avios at that) but zero TPs - is this normal? And if so, why do JL give TPs but not AA on an identical route between two oneworld hubs?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by HarryKUK
The only odd thing I saw was for NRT-ORD, the calculator says JL earns both Avios and TPs in the lowest class but on AA only Avios are earned, and the tier point column says “zero”.

I know some classes don’t earn anything at all but this is the first time I’ve seen a oneworld flight earn Avios (and a lot of Avios at that) but zero TPs - is this normal?
No, there seems to be a bug. See Recent change on TP earn rate for AA flights credited to BA ?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:09 am

I see Aldi now accepting AMEX.....
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Query re earning TPs on QF-coded Emirates flights. I'm looking at a trip ATH-AKL using QF8404, aka EK404. That "flight" goes DXB-SIN-MEL without changing plane. I'm assuming it'll be treated as a single longhaul+ sector worth 160 TPs (in J). Does anyone know anything different?

Many thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by boutela
Query re earning TPs on QF-coded Emirates flights. I'm looking at a trip ATH-AKL using QF8404, aka EK404. That "flight" goes DXB-SIN-MEL without changing plane. I'm assuming it'll be treated as a single longhaul+ sector worth 160 TPs (in J). Does anyone know anything different?
Well, I booked, so if anyone is curious MMB is showing it as 160.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by boutela
Well, I booked, so if anyone is curious MMB is showing it as 160.
yes that sounds like what I would have guessed. Generally if it’s the same flight number it is treated as one flight for TP & avios.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:33 am

My tier points will go over my next TP threshold on my next outbound flight. My return is a week later. Will my account be updated to the next level on my return flight (so I can enjoy the benefits of the new level) or will I have to wait for both outbound and inbound flights to have been completed?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by NordicMaster
My tier points will go over my next TP threshold on my next outbound flight. My return is a week later. Will my account be updated to the next level on my return flight (so I can enjoy the benefits of the new level) or will I have to wait for both outbound and inbound flights to have been completed?
It depends. The points will post individually.

Points can take a couple of days to post. It can then take a couple of days to transition the account to the new level. Weekends seem to add a bit of a delay in points posting. (e.g. if I fly on Friday - I've found they don't post until Monday). And if you're flying a partner airline - points can take longer.

So a week *should* be sufficient gap but there's no guarantee.
NordicMaster likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:16 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by MPH1980
Points can take a couple of days to post. It can then take a couple of days to transition the account to the new level. Weekends seem to add a bit of a delay in points posting. (e.g. if I fly on Friday - I've found they don't post until Monday). And if you're flying a partner airline - points can take longer.
So a week *should* be sufficient gap but there's no guarantee.
On that basis, am I right in thinking that if I take a (BA) flight on Wednesday morning, which puts me up to silver, there is a slim/negligible/zero chance that my account will have updated by Friday to get me into the (BA) lounge on my next flight?

If that's the case, then I'll take a cheaper/more convenient flight on the Wednesday.

Thanks for any opinions/insights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.