Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2018 edition

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2018 edition

Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:45 pm

Hi Tocsin, afraid not - I flew today.

There is indeed a fast track lane at NCL, and I went down it, but they’ve introduced self-scanning of the boarding passes about halfway along the corridor (where the person usually sits and scans them for you). Because several people were there at once, and there were about 4 machines, we were directed to the free one which was further left - as the split in the queue Tensa-barrier thing was hidden behind the staff member that put us into the “regular” security line. As there wasn’t really a queue it would’ve been more hassle to double back or limbo under the barrier, so we didn’t!

This wasn’t a deliberate thing on the part of the staff member, so as long as you bear right after the self-scan of the boarding pass you should be in the fast track security line. It still doesn’t definitively answer whether or not you “should” be allowed to use it with a guest...

As for priority boarding, a staff member at LHR prior to boarding confirmed that I was indeed able to bring my guest into the priority boarding line with me (they compared it to the Lounge guesting). In the event, a very last minute gate change from A10d to A10b, necessitated by a malfunctioning T5 door to the waiting buses, meant that boarding was a little chaotic - everyone ended up piling into the priority queue, and I’m not sure anything was even properly called.

We also had the longest trip on the bus to the plane I have ever experienced at LHR: a full length of T5A (east side), then a complete loop all the way around the entirety of T5C to finally reach the remote stand furthest away/east from T5 and closest to the southern airside road.

Last edited by squawk; Jan 13, 2018 at 1:59 am
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
When someone using AUP to upgrade a flight AA numbered but BA operated from CW to F. Will the tier points posted in the BAEC will be based on the new upgraded class or the normal CW fare?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
When someone using AUP to upgrade a flight AA numbered but BA operated from CW to F. Will the tier points posted in the BAEC will be based on the new upgraded class or the normal CW fare?
If its AA marketed and therefore AA are the ones awarding TPs and avios I think it's unlikely. AA do not tend to pay at the upgraded level for POUGs or AUPs.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Have a quick question about earning TPs and Avios on an AY seasonal route (HEL to GOI). Does this route earn on BAEC or would it be one of those which doesn't? Will be looking to fly business which books into I class.
Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by ceej123
Have a quick question about earning TPs and Avios on an AY seasonal route (HEL to GOI). Does this route earn on BAEC or would it be one of those which doesn't? Will be looking to fly business which books into I class.
Thanks!
no reason why it wouldn’t. It’s only flight numbers in the AY8100 - AY8700 range that don’t earn.
ceej123 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:21 am

Would appreciate some clarification for a newbie. I've read the guide and I think I got it, just wanted to double check.

I qualifiied for Gold in September this year. My membership year runs from April 4th. So currently my Gold is good until May 2019.

If I were to take enough flights to reach 1,500 TPs again between April 4th 2018 und April 3rd 2019, would it renew until May 2020?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by MarioRossi
I qualifiied for Gold in September this year. My membership year runs from April 4th. So currently my Gold is good until May 2019.

If I were to take enough flights to reach 1,500 TPs again between April 4th 2018 und April 3rd 2019, would it renew until May 2020?
It's likely that your membership year starts from 9 April. This is because the ninth is the day of the month on which all BAEC membership years start.

You are right that the Gold attained in September 2017 will continue until 31 May 2019, the day of card expiry.

And apart from the day of the month, you are also right on the second point: In order to get another year of Gold, you will need to fly 1500 TPs between 9 April 2018 and 8 April 2019. Then your Gold will be extended until 31 May 2020.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:36 pm

Thank you so much for the clarification. And yes, you're right of course. 9th it is.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:08 pm

A friend of mine claimed that an AA flight with BA prefix does not qualify as eligible flight (for tier movement).
Is this really true?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by MultiFlyer
A friend of mine claimed that an AA flight with BA prefix does not qualify as eligible flight (for tier movement).
Is this really true?
your friend is wrong. In terms of BA flights eligible ones can be those which are either BA marketed or BA operated. An AA operated but BA marketed flight would count.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:47 pm

can I get in the flagship lounge at ORD on a domestic AA basic economy ticket using my silver card? because the basic economy ticket is extremely restricted, I wondered if it restrict access to lounges too. I never had any problem getting in a lounge on a "normal" domestic AA economy ticket.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: BAEC, Silver
Before I go booking things - I’d like to confirm what flights I gain TP on.

American Airlines flight number on AA metal? I do gain TP don’t I?
BA dont codeshare a route i’d like to take so i’ll have to buy an AA ticket.

BA flight number on VY metal - I gain TP & Avios on that?

In fact - any flight that has a BA flight nunber - do I gain Avios and TP?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SussexFly
American Airlines flight number on AA metal? I do gain TP don’t I?
Yes.
BA flight number on VY metal - I gain TP & Avios on that?
Yes.
In fact - any flight that has a BA flight nunber - do I gain Avios and TP?
Yes.

The answers are all in the table at the bottom of this page: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-avios/flights
SussexFly likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite

I am looking at some flights between BKK and SDF in Y which are pricing up near enough the same whether I book via AA or JL on either codes and either ticket stock. I would be using my BAEC Gold status on the PNR.

Since both offer Gold Avios bonuses, am I correct in thinking it doesn’t matter which one I book in terms of Avios collection? Is there any factor which would mean I should try to book on JL rather than AA, or vice versa? I also have a choice of either metal depending on the exact routing (first to Tokyo and then via ORD/DFW etc AA gateways).

Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HarryKUK
I am looking at some flights between BKK and SDF in Y which are pricing up near enough the same whether I book via AA or JL on either codes and either ticket stock. I would be using my BAEC Gold status on the PNR.

Since both offer Gold Avios bonuses, am I correct in thinking it doesn’t matter which one I book in terms of Avios collection? Is there any factor which would mean I should try to book on JL rather than AA, or vice versa?
This page is your friend: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...r/public/en_gb

It looks like the only significant difference in numbers may be on a US domestic sector, and that could be something to do with minimum earn rates. However, you do need to check the booking class for each itinerary. Just saying "in Y" won't help you if the respective fares book into a non-earning class on one airline when it would book into an earning class on the other; or if the booking classes fall into different earn rates ("Economy lowest", "Economy low" or "Economy flexible") on the two different airlines. Price alone will not determine that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.