Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2018 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC
Hi all,

I will go to Dubai next month and on my return flight to LHR I will turn silver. Is there any chance I could get access to the Lounge in DXB before the flight that takes me to silver?

Thanks
Old May 4, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Monument
I will go to Dubai in June and on my return flight back to London I will turn silver. Is there any chance I could get access to the Lounge in DXB before the flight that takes me to silver?
No, I think that there's next to no chance of that - because at that point you will not be Silver nor will you yet have qualified for Silver.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:53 pm

Quick question. I've used BA and earned some points, currently around 180,000, but I'm going to lose them soon as I haven't flown or used anything recently.
My partner is taking a BA flight soon (she has her own BAEC / Avios account). I don't think I can book a flight and pay for it in order to reset the clock if she's the only passenger.
I've seen the Household account thing. I see this has a separate status / points to individual members. If I create a household account, add her to it (we live together so qualify from that perspective), does that help in anyway to reset the clock or will I still lose all my points?

I don't see a need to fly in the next 5 months or so but 180,000 seems quite a lot to lose, so not sure what to do about it. Any suggestions?
Old May 4, 2018, 1:27 pm

Ahh, looks I can book a reward flight for her from my account using up my Avios points? Seems the best option.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by tfboy
I don't think I can book a flight and pay for it in order to reset the clock if she's the only passenger.
I've seen the Household account thing. I see this has a separate status / points to individual members. If I create a household account, add her to it (we live together so qualify from that perspective), does that help in anyway to reset the clock or will I still lose all my points?
Originally Posted by tfboy
Ahh, looks I can book a reward flight for her from my account using up my Avios points? Seems the best option.
Yes, you can book for her - and there are fewer restrictions on booking for others if you are not in a household account. In many ways, unless you need to be part of a HHA you're better off not having one.

However, you don't say what sort of award flight you have in mind. If it's a short-haul flight, then the recent inactivity in your account means that you won't qualify for Reward Flight Saver pricing. That's normally regarded as a good value way of getting a short-haul award flight, but you need to have earned in your account into the last year to qualify. So that might be a worthwhile reason for you to find a way of earning even a small number of Avios quickly, which would then also reset the expiry period for your account even if you don't make the award booking.

Of course, if you're thinking about a long-haul premium cabin award ticket, then I expect that you might as well just do it.
Old May 6, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: Aegean
I have a question about turning Sliver after a booking. At the moment I'm Bronze, but will make a booking for a return flight to South America in January soon as there is a good deal. As a Bronze member I will be able to choose my seats a week before the flights. But I am pretty sure I will be Silver soon (and way before my flights in January). Silver has the benefit to choose your seat 'at the time of booking'. Will I be able to choose my seats for my flights in January as soon as I become Silver over the next weeks (via Manage My Booking) or could I only have chosen them if I was Silver at the time of booking? Thanks in advice for you help!
Old May 6, 2018, 4:14 am

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by TKtraveller
Will I be able to choose my seats for my flights in January as soon as I become Silver over the next weeks (via Manage My Booking)
Yes, as soon as you show Silver on the website.
Old May 6, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by memesweeper
Yes, as soon as you show Silver on the website.
And if it doesn't work call and ask an agent to remove and restore your BAEC number on the booking.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: Aegean
Thanks for the quick replies and booking is made!
Old May 9, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Hi all, I have another question on POUG. I am considering a round trip from Asia to Europe via London, all in one booking. Do you think there is any chance for POUG unlike itineraries with surface sectors? Again being able to upgrade on any one sector would be useful in attaining BA status! Thanks for the help.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: BAEC
600 tier points for silver

Hi guys. Just a quick question and I hope it is not a stupid one. I have a return flight from DXB to LHR upcoming which will give me 90 tier points (WT+) and I will have exactly 600 tier points after the flight. Does this mean I will be silver or do I need 601 for silver (i.e. >600 tier points)? Thanks a lot.
Old May 10, 2018, 10:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Monument
Hi guys. Just a quick question and I hope it is not a stupid one. I have a return flight from DXB to LHR upcoming which will give me 90 tier points (WT+) and I will have exactly 600 tier points after the flight. Does this mean I will be silver or do I need 601 for silver (i.e. >600 tier points)? Thanks a lot.
Not a silly question and when I first joined the BAEC I wondered that too!

On reaching 600 exactly that will 100% definitely give you Silver for the rest of your remaining year and the 12 months thereafter.

It usually takes a few days, 3 ish, to update on ba.com and the App if you use it. Enjoy!
Old May 10, 2018, 10:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by SLGO
Hi all, I have another question on POUG. I am considering a round trip from Asia to Europe via London, all in one booking. Do you think there is any chance for POUG unlike itineraries with surface sectors? Again being able to upgrade on any one sector would be useful in attaining BA status! Thanks for the help.

You won't get any POUG offers that way, they usually only show on direct flights, HKG-LHR or LHR-XXX etc but regions in the UK do but rarely get them (an annoyance of many a regional flyer here but that's another debate!)

You can ask at the airport but only on the day of the flight itself, they're called AUP's over here on this forum and you can read about them as below. They're not guaranteed on every flight/route but see this thread if it helps and a paid upgrade in this way does of course give you the extra tier points but only on revenue fares.

So say if it were a redemption flights in the first place and you used cash at the airport to upgrade you won't get anything at all but once in a while a few lucky folks get the TP's but that's very, very rare.

Airport Upgrades (AUP) promotion 2018 thread

The other thing you could consider if you are having a break in London or allow loads of time inbetween London to Europe you could consider booking separate tickets but that comes with risk as they are treated as entirely individual bookings but with say a 1 day stop I would have no issues with that and that way you might get a POUG but of course that's not guaranteed.

Just another option to consider really.

Pete

Last edited by PETER01; May 10, 2018 at 10:33 am
Old May 10, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by PETER01
You won't get any POUG offers that way, they usually only show on direct flights, HKG-LHR or LHR-XXX etc but regions in the UK do but rarely get them (an annoyance of many a regional flyer here but that's another debate!)

You can ask at the airport but only on the day of the flight itself, they're called AUP's over here on this forum and you can read about them as below. They're not guaranteed on every flight/route but see this thread if it helps and a paid upgrade in this way does of course give you the extra tier points but only on revenue fares.

So say if it were a redemption flights in the first place and you used cash at the airport to upgrade you won't get anything at all but once in a while a few lucky folks get the TP's but that's very, very rare.

Airport Upgrades (AUP) promotion 2018 thread

The other thing you could consider if you are having a break in London or allow loads of time inbetween London to Europe you could consider booking separate tickets but that comes with risk as they are treated as entirely individual bookings but with say a 1 day stop I would have no issues with that and that way you might get a POUG but of course that's not guaranteed.

Just another option to consider really.

Pete
Thanks Peter, very helpful information before I make the booking. It's a pity that BA doesn't give POUG for connecting pax, which should give them a lot more business than pax on direct flights only. I'll certainly reconsider my plan, perhaps just fly another OW carrier with more competitive offerings then.
PETER01 likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: British Airways | Executive Club silver
its probably been asked many times but aint got time to trudge thru all the posts
my question is when you reach bronze do ba send you a new bronze card or do you have to print out like blue status ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.