Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2018 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by tafer2uk
Could anybody please clarify if tier points earned on OW airlines count towards upgrading to bronze/silver etc with BAEC?

I have flown 8 flights in J over the last 12 months and earned 1000 TP (4 x flights were with AY & 4 x with QR)

I've tried to read the sticky at the start of this thread but I just don't really understand all the rules.

If they don't count then why do they show in my account? Is there another use for TP's that i'm missing?

Thanks
The TP count for status but you must also have four qualifying segments: BA operated, BA coded, or IB operated and coded.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: Many but loyal to none
Thanks for the reply.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Monument
Do you think it's worth the upgrade or is there a cheaper way of attending silver compared to paying 218 GBP in total?
If you will get the value from Silver then I’d consider the upgrade now. Even if you could snag some CE seats for less cash later, you’d miss the small modicum of additional comfort now, and you’d save at least a day of your own time.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Hi all, I'm new to the BAEC and would like to seek some advice from you experts here.

I want to go for BA Silver and so I've just bought 4 flights with BA: MUC-TLS and TXL-FRA, all in one booking. Unfortunately even after these flights (and some other OW flights), there would just be 595 points and so I was looking for an upgrade, preferably by cash as being a newbie I don't have much Avios, on any of these flights. But BA.com won't allow it due to the surface sector issue and I probably would have to call the office. Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade just 1 of those sectors? Thanks so much.
Great_circle likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by SLGO
Hi all, I'm new to the BAEC and would like to seek some advice from you experts here.

I want to go for BA Silver and so I've just bought 4 flights with BA: MUC-TLS and TXL-FRA, all in one booking. Unfortunately even after these flights (and some other OW flights), there would just be 595 points and so I was looking for an upgrade, preferably by cash as being a newbie I don't have much Avios, on any of these flights. But BA.com won't allow it due to the surface sector issue and I probably would have to call the office. Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade just 1 of those sectors? Thanks so much.
​​​​​​​
I was in a similar situation once due to a surface sector (and was prepared to book a short trip later) but prior to one flight (FRA->LHR) on that itinerary I was offered to buy an upgrade, which I took and helped me to retain Silver at the time.
SLGO likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Great_circle
I was in a similar situation once due to a surface sector (and was prepared to book a short trip later) but prior to one flight (FRA->LHR) on that itinerary I was offered to buy an upgrade, which I took and helped me to retain Silver at the time.
Yes very similar situation! How did you get your offer? In MMB or during check in?
​​​​​​​
i tried calling the local BA office today about upgrade, but was offered some €300 for upgrading 2 of the 4 flights. This amount doesn’t sound right to me.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
i tried calling the local BA office today about upgrade, but was offered some €300 for upgrading 2 of the 4 flights. This amount doesn’t sound right to me.
You're unlikely to get an upgrade via a cheapie offer if you just call in cold. The call centre will give you a price for a fare rules upgrade, which would cost you the change fee plus the applicable fare difference. Otherwise, BA wouldn't sell any premium tickets at the full price because people would always buy a cheapie ticket followed by a cheapie upgrade. So the price that you've been quoted probably is right. You have to remember that you're never entitled to a low-price upgrade, so you do need to set your expectations accordingly.

On your itinerary, you probably won't be offered a special price upgrade in advance, usually known as a POUG, which are discussed in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...17-thread.html

If you check-in online, you may be offered a special price upgrade at that point during the check-in process. It's important to remember that if you are, you have to take it at the point at which you are offered it. If you don't take it then and complete your check-in, you're unlikely to get that offer again via the website.

If you don't get an offer during the online check-in process, the next port of call is to ask at the airport whether there is special offer upgrade that you can buy. These are usually known as an AUP, and they are discussed in this thread: Airport Upgrades (AUP) promotion 2018 thread

Via all of these upgrade routes, if you are flying a BA-operated flight and collecting into BAEC, then you will be entitled to the Avios and Tier Points of the upgraded cabin, which should then put you over the threshold that you need. However, it is always possible that you will be automatically awarded at the rate for your original ticket, and that you have to ask for the correct amount afterwards.
SLGO likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
You're unlikely to get an upgrade via a cheapie offer if you just call in cold. The call centre will give you a price for a fare rules upgrade, which would cost you the change fee plus the applicable fare difference. Otherwise, BA wouldn't sell any premium tickets at the full price because people would always buy a cheapie ticket followed by a cheapie upgrade. So the price that you've been quoted probably is right. You have to remember that you're never entitled to a low-price upgrade, so you do need to set your expectations accordingly.

On your itinerary, you probably won't be offered a special price upgrade in advance, usually known as a POUG, which are discussed in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...17-thread.html

If you check-in online, you may be offered a special price upgrade at that point during the check-in process. It's important to remember that if you are, you have to take it at the point at which you are offered it. If you don't take it then and complete your check-in, you're unlikely to get that offer again via the website.

If you don't get an offer during the online check-in process, the next port of call is to ask at the airport whether there is special offer upgrade that you can buy. These are usually known as an AUP, and they are discussed in this thread: Airport Upgrades (AUP) promotion 2018 thread

Via all of these upgrade routes, if you are flying a BA-operated flight and collecting into BAEC, then you will be entitled to the Avios and Tier Points of the upgraded cabin, which should then put you over the threshold that you need. However, it is always possible that you will be automatically awarded at the rate for your original ticket, and that you have to ask for the correct amount afterwards.
Thanks for explaining! It’s really helpful. I’d probably wait for check-in offers, if any,
Old May 1, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver

Yes very similar situation! How did you get your offer? In MMB or during check in?
​​​
I was offered an upgrade during check in at FRA. It was about 120 euros I believe and I took it as it would get me the required tier points a lot more quickly, plus fast track through security (for which BA Silver wasn’t enough at FRA, according to my boarding pass).
Old May 2, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: BA
Transfer points from BA to QA account?

Hi!

I have been flying, every other month, to and from Newcastle upon Tyne to Doha since February 2017, transferring at LHR.

I have booked through BA and am currently pretty static at Silver.

Almost every return journey I have flew Qatar Airways at least once.

I have been speaking to another pretty frequent flyer today and they have have said that I could transfer my points to the Qatar Airways scheme.

I have a couple of questions please.

1. Is this possible?
2. Will it be worthwhile?

I only use BA and One World Alliance for this journey and I am continuing to do so for the next 15 months at least.

I always book through BA for the whole journey and they have found to be much cheaper for my trips.

I thank you in advance for any advice you could give me.

Cheers

Terri
Old May 2, 2018, 11:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dirty epic
Hi!

I have been flying, every other month, to and from Newcastle upon Tyne to Doha since February 2017, transferring at LHR.

I have booked through BA and am currently pretty static at Silver.

Almost every return journey I have flew Qatar Airways at least once.

I have been speaking to another pretty frequent flyer today and they have have said that I could transfer my points to the Qatar Airways scheme.

I have a couple of questions please.

1. Is this possible?
2. Will it be worthwhile?

I only use BA and One World Alliance for this journey and I am continuing to do so for the next 15 months at least.

I always book through BA for the whole journey and they have found to be much cheaper for my trips.

I thank you in advance for any advice you could give me.

Cheers

Terri
transfering avios from your BAEC account to your QR account? No it’s not possible.
dirty epic likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Just flown a six sector routing with JL tickets on a mix of JL and AA metal (all JL codes).

DFW-SDF is the only one that hasn’t credited but this was sector three of six. We came back via SDF-ORD which credited fine.

The calculator shows SDF-ORD as being eligible for 10 points in V class but DFW-SDF shows up as zero for all classes. Is this an error? Both were operated by AA.
Old May 3, 2018, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT, dirty epic!
I wonder whether there's been a little bit of miscommunication here.

If you fly either BA or QR on this route, you should be able to earn from that flight either in the British Airways scheme or in the Qatar Airways scheme. Typically, you choose this at the time of booking or at the time of check-in, and then the miles/points will normally automatically credit into the scheme which you have chosen. This may be what your informant meant to say.

However, once the points have been credited to one scheme, then it is not possible to transfer them to the other one, as KARFA has said.
Old May 3, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by KARFA

transfering avios from your BAEC account to your QR account? No it’s not possible.
Hi Karfa,

Thanks so much for your quick response to my query. What about the tier points that I've accrued so far? Are they transferrable?
​​​​​​​
Old May 3, 2018, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What about the tier points that I've accrued so far? Are they transferrable?​​​​​​​
No, nothing can be transferred between the BA scheme and the QR scheme, in either direction.

What would be the reason for switching your earning from BA to QR? In theory, one approach would be to time the switch appropriately so that you can use your BA status while you earn the equivalent status in the QR scheme. But you'd have to consider a lot of fine detail about your membership of each scheme, including membership year ends, your flying patterns, your likely redemption patterns and the general rationale for changing schemes, when working out whether and when to do this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.