Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2018 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
TPs on BA/FJ codeshares

I am planning my next trip to Fiji and BA now codeshare with FJ so the quick route of LHR - SIN - NAN has become available and the slightly slower LHR - SIN - SYD - NAN route is also offered when to try a new booking. I want to make sure I get TPs for the whole journey and have tried the BA TP calculator but FJ is not an option on the Airline pull down menu (nor is Air Pacific, their old name). Curiously if you select BA and try SIN-NAN you get a result (see below) and this ONLY works if you select BA. Even more curious is that even though BA offer the LHR - SIN - SYD - NAN route, SYD-NAN is not an option in the TP calculator whatever airline you select.

Does anyone know what the TP situation is for BA codeshares on FJ flights?

Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ginger50
Does anyone know what the TP situation is for BA codeshares on FJ flights?
Off the top of my head, I think that if you buy a BA code you should earn Avios and TPs regardless of who operates the flight.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I think I understand this correctly but would someone be kind enough to confirm it please?
I achieved Gold a few months back and that will expire Aug 8, 2019. I believe I "soft land" to silver at that point.
Is waiting until after Aug 8, 2019 to acquire 1500 TP's the best strategy? That is, by doing it that way will I have a gold membership for a longer period?
I'm assuming if I fly 1500 TP's before that date I will only secure gold for one more year after that date?
Do I have that right?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by webstereo
I think I understand this correctly but would someone be kind enough to confirm it please?
I achieved Gold a few months back and that will expire Aug 8, 2019. I believe I "soft land" to silver at that point.
Is waiting until after Aug 8, 2019 to acquire 1500 TP's the best strategy? That is, by doing it that way will I have a gold membership for a longer period?
I'm assuming if I fly 1500 TP's before that date I will only secure gold for one more year after that date?
Do I have that right?
Although your points will reset to zero on Aug 9 you will still have status until Oct 1. Thus the best bet is to earn 1500 TP in those seven weeks and never descend to Silver. More realistically you are correct in assuming that earning before Aug 9 just earns status for next year and earning after then lasts for the following year as well.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks. I expect the “more realistic” option is the one I’ll shoot for.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: BAEC
Silver wannabe

I've been demoted back to Blue after not flying with BA for a while plus a string of redemptions.
I am trying to get Silver.
I'm going from LHR to SIN in June. Normally I would choose Qatar J and get 560 (4 x 140) points.
I am also planning another holiday to Europe, probably Milan, in Sept, with BA so will get the remaining 40 points needed to get the qualifying 600 point to be Silver. But that means I would be 2 BA flights short. I am thinking of adding in 2 BA flights for the LHR to SIN trip- any recommendations, maybe LHR - CDG/AMS - SIN? Any help/ideas are welcome!
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by docmcdreamy
I've been demoted back to Blue after not flying with BA for a while plus a string of redemptions.
I am trying to get Silver.
I'm going from LHR to SIN in June. Normally I would choose Qatar J and get 560 (4 x 140) points.
I am also planning another holiday to Europe, probably Milan, in Sept, with BA so will get the remaining 40 points needed to get the qualifying 600 point to be Silver. But that means I would be 2 BA flights short. I am thinking of adding in 2 BA flights for the LHR to SIN trip- any recommendations, maybe LHR - CDG/AMS - SIN? Any help/ideas are welcome!
Or just a cheapy day return to Manchester or similar.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:42 am

Hi. I'm sure this query gets posted all the time. Apologies as I didn't quite know how to search for it.

I'm TP short of retaining Gold, with my collection year ending on Saturday. I have a CE return booked, departing this Saturday and returning Tuesday. Technically I'll still be 25 TP short at the end of Saturday, but everything I've read seems to indicate I should be okay.

I've just completed my fifth year as Gold. Last year this time I was was about 10 points short and was going to book a quick mileage run on the last day, but when I called BA the night before they told me they were renewing me anyway. In that case I didn't have anything new booked for the rest of September.

However, 25 is a lot more than 10, and I just want to be sure BA will take the return leg of my CE booking into account.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by SCSA
Hi. I'm sure this query gets posted all the time. Apologies as I didn't quite know how to search for it.

I'm TP short of retaining Gold, with my collection year ending on Saturday. I have a CE return booked, departing this Saturday and returning Tuesday. Technically I'll still be 25 TP short at the end of Saturday, but everything I've read seems to indicate I should be okay.

I've just completed my fifth year as Gold. Last year this time I was was about 10 points short and was going to book a quick mileage run on the last day, but when I called BA the night before they told me they were renewing me anyway. In that case I didn't have anything new booked for the rest of September.

However, 25 is a lot more than 10, and I just want to be sure BA will take the return leg of my CE booking into account.
I read that CWS and others say just take the flights and then call up and ask for the 2 week extension grace period. I don't believe it's a 100% cast iron guaurantee or indeed official BA policy however 99.9% of the time all works well it seems. Lots of threads on it if you google "grace period flyertalk BA"

One quote from BA:

we usually have a two week grace period, where we can extend your Tier Year if you're a little short of Tier Points

Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:34 am

Thanks, Peter01. Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing the specific two week "grace period" referred to. Interestingly, when I look at My Exec Club it no longer has the little "...to Retain Gold" meter, but it doesnt say i've retained it
PETER01 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by SCSA
Thanks, Peter01. Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing the specific two week "grace period" referred to. Interestingly, when I look at My Exec Club it no longer has the little "...to Retain Gold" meter, but it doesnt say i've retained it
Former BA Executive Club FT representative Nicci, related the policy on extensions in this post years ago:
Unfortunately we cannot extend membership years or change the date when your membership year ends. This is not technically possible and requests cannot be granted whether you contact your local service centre or via pm here. The only exception is where a flight will be taken within 2 weeks of your membership ending and in this scenario we will review this on a case by case basis and can offer a 2 week "grace" period.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19596476-post1.html
Also, have a look at these threads:
Tier Point Expiry
Zero Tier points - reset collection date
Membership date renews between flights - can extend?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Am I correct is saying I would earn avios according to status when flying, rather than when booked?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by FrogTastic
Am I correct is saying I would earn avios according to status when flying, rather than when booked?
Yes.
FrogTastic likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:49 pm

Is there a way to see the number of "eligible flights" for tier qualification on the website? My app shows I have 3 of 4 required for silver. I had 2 for Bronze and since that 3 more that brought me to 600 Tier Points. 2 out of five were on Cityflier and 3 on BA mainline. Not sure what's going on with the flight count.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
Is there a way to see the number of "eligible flights" for tier qualification on the website? My app shows I have 3 of 4 required for silver. I had 2 for Bronze and since that 3 more that brought me to 600 Tier Points. 2 out of five were on Cityflier and 3 on BA mainline. Not sure what's going on with the flight count.
This is a common problem with the app. Going to the website is usually more reliable. See:
4 flights on BA metal for Silver

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.