G-NEOW
G-NEOX
G-NEOY
G-NEOZ
Print Wikipost

NEOs and a couple of SH changes

Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Many airlines have different Y and C class seats, so I dont think its reasonable to criticise BA for that. Aegean, Air Baltic 737s spring to mind. In many ways its a return to how things were before the convertible business class seats were removed and Club passengers are guaranteed a genuinely better seat.

Indeed on the 767 and 757 the last cabin Section had cloth seats.

Those recaro seats dont seem to have much padding though.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BrianDromey
Many airlines have different Y and C class seats, so I dont think its reasonable to criticise BA for that. Aegean, Air Baltic 737s spring to mind. In many ways its a return to how things were before the convertible business class seats were removed and Club passengers are guaranteed a genuinely better seat.

Whilst I agree on many aspects here, what I see is a 'chipping' away at the premium product over a few months/years to the point when the premium product simply becomes the basic product, for BA to then repackage the basic product to a minimal, extremely poor and cheap below basic (like the 'savers' range now on offer at Morrisons) product which makes the Premium product look premium again, if that makes sense?!

Clever strategy but pretty obvious to the frequent customer, who will see right through this! You can't fool your customers by then saying "we are still a premium airline." Frankly that's insulting to its customers.
florens likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
I'll reserve judgement till I can't afford CE
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Being seat shifted from the exit row is going to be much worse in future.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
You can't fool your customers by then saying "we are still a premium airline." Frankly that's insulting to its customers.
But Cruz says that all the time!

I don't know why they didn't just put park benches in, they would be as attractive as the new seats.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Whilst I agree on many aspects here, what I see is a 'chipping' away at the premium product over a few months/years to the point when the premium product simply becomes the basic product, for BA to then repackage the basic product to a minimal, extremely poor and cheap below basic (like the 'savers' range now on offer at Morrisons) product which makes the Premium product look premium again, if that makes sense?!

Clever strategy but pretty obvious to the frequent customer, who will see right through this! You can't fool your customers by then saying "we are still a premium airline." Frankly that's insulting to its customers.
I wont be even surprised if they started selling those old seats at double the fee of seat reservation: enjoy a business class seat in economy for only 30.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Found the USB/three pin plug when we were disembarking - under the seats (first 12 rows...)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Those Y seats look poor, especially the loss of a head-rest.

M
easyJet have those same seats and I think they are comfier than the current BA SH Y Seats - for an hour or two at least.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by BrianDromey

Just to check, you're saying other airlines have different within economy?

Passenger A books Y and gets allocated a slim seat. Passenger B books and gets allocated a standard seat.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by GLABA
Found the USB/three pin plug when we were disembarking - under the seats (first 12 rows...)
Thats what the boxes are then.

how can you tell if you are on a NEO from
the seat map? More rows?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
All we need now, is C-W-S to brave two hours in the new economy seats. Man up!!
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GLABA
Just to check, you're saying other airlines have different within economy?

Passenger A books Y and gets allocated a slim seat. Passenger B books and gets allocated a standard seat.
Yes, thats right. Most airlines using a flexible C/Y canine were like this. It was more noticeable when the use of 5(J)/6(Y) abreast variable geometry seats was widespread. The seat in the economy only area was very different and lighter. When the first generation of slimline seats came in the change was less so as the middle seat was simply blocked.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List & GfL, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Clearly the new cabin is not as good as the current Pinnacle with 168 seats. And various aspects of traditional service have been eroded. This is all about cutong costs and BA has not tried to hide this. I share the views of many here that this is unfortunate as I valued and have been willing to pay a premium over the completion, including Ryanair and easyJet, to travel BA.

BA tried to maintain a higher standard. However, the majority do not think it was worth paying for and simply book the cheapest available. BA has to compete if it wants to survive, and so is fitting the same seats as the competition. It looks like there will be some Pinnacle seats in Y, so isnt the answer is very simply use the money you are saving on the lower more competitive fares to pay to reserve a seat nearer the front of the plane? Of course, this is also a free benefit for relevant tiers of the BAEC as a recognition of their loyalty.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
I fly these slimline seats on EasyJet and Air France Domestic and they are acceptable for hops of about 1.5hrs. Going to Athens or Cyprus in these will not be fun.

Air France do not use these slimline Recaro on international short haul routes (they have the Pinnacle seats as BA do today with moveable divider). This seems a more sensible strategy but then again AF/KLM dont make the kind of profit that BA does.

I think BA has gone too far with densification if it results in a three class cabin on Short Haul which is what they have now ended up with.

WiFi (chargeable) and Power sockets dont compensate for the discomfort on a 4hr flight.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:42 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by edi-traveller

easyJet have those same seats and I think they are comfier than the current BA SH Y Seats - for an hour or two at least.
But how about to places over 2 hours?

I agree that for a short period of time they're tolerable, but for those flying to Spain, Italy, et al, it's going to be a rush to book a seat before Row 12!

M

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.