G-NEOY
G-NEOZ
Print Wikipost

NEOs and a couple of SH changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sts603
I mean I think one thing is for certain - this is not sustainable. There is nothing that makes passengers more angry than not being able to deplane quickly upon arrival. Nevermind that I can see the EU 261 argument of when the plane arrived if passengers were knowingly going to be kept on board. So some solution will ultimately be worked out.
I know if I had a tight connection I would be livid.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Sergey Ilyushin must be having a little chuckle..

IL62
choosethedrew and TedToToe like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Bronze
Originally Posted by florens
Is it because of the extra fuel tanks maybe?
Quoting an internal message:
Due to the increased seating capacity of the densified A320ceo and A320neo family of aircraft, the aircraft have more propensity to be unstable on the ground whilst disembarking. Indiscriminate unloading of the forward hold whilst disembarking can reduce the weight on the nose wheel and create a ground stability risk.
Basically, when the aircraft centre of gravity is beyond a certain point towards the rear of the aircraft, a message will be sent to the aircraft and loaders to advise that the aircraft must be disembarked in a certain order to avoid any ground stability issues, including tail tip.
florens likes this.

Last edited by TWEED1A; Mar 15, 2018 at 5:22 pm Reason: Adding extra info
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TWEED1A
Basically, when the aircraft centre of gravity is beyond a certain point towards the rear of the aircraft, a message will be sent to the aircraft and loaders to advise that the aircraft must be disembarked in a certain order to avoid any ground stability issues, including tail tip.
Which to my mind implies an increase in turnaround times, which in turn suggests greater costs for the airline since everyone has to be paid while this goes on. And hypothetically less revenue, if the aircraft ends up doing fewer flights, though I guess that would be unlikely given the shorthaul service doesn't quite fill LHR's main operating hours. All for a few extra seats which may or may not be sold.

That said, we shouldn't jump to conclusions, we probably need to see a lot more flying hours completed to see what the end outcome really is, but on some routes it will be near impossible to explain an apparently unnecessary wait to passengers.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:58 am

I seem to recall that Concorde had the same risk, especially if bags and fuel were being loaded at the rear, coupled with boarding the rear cabin first.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Dave_C
I seem to recall that Concorde had the same risk, especially if bags and fuel were being loaded at the rear, coupled with boarding the rear cabin first.
Can’t help but feel passengers will be a bit more accepting being told that Concorde is a finely balanced machine and things have to be done in a certain way than when rammed in on MAN-LHR, though!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Can’t help but feel passengers will be a bit more accepting being told that Concorde is a finely balanced machine and things have to be done in a certain way than when rammed in on MAN-LHR, though!
I thought the solution was easy on Concorde: simply find and relocate the captain's wallet?
Dave_C and rapidex like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Which to my mind implies an increase in turnaround times, which in turn suggests greater costs for the airline since everyone has to be paid while this goes on. And hypothetically less revenue, if the aircraft ends up doing fewer flights, though I guess that would be unlikely given the shorthaul service doesn't quite fill LHR's main operating hours. All for a few extra seats which may or may not be sold.

That said, we shouldn't jump to conclusions, we probably need to see a lot more flying hours completed to see what the end outcome really is, but on some routes it will be near impossible to explain an apparently unnecessary wait to passengers.
Being as cynical as I am, I kept thinking in an outstation due to careless ground handling agent the A/C had a tilt...Then it will be withdrawn out from service and how much that would cost BA...
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Originally Posted by chongcao
Being as cynical as I am, I kept thinking in an outstation due to careless ground handling agent the A/C had a tilt...Then it will be withdrawn out from service and how much that would cost BA...
I was serving at RAF Brize Norton when a VC10 'sat on its tail':

vc10 brize norton accident - Google Search

It was apparently due to a 'defuelling fault' but caused the aircraft to be wirtten off.

BM
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:44 am

The last 2 rows on the NEO's and all densified aircraft are to be blocked out unless needed.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by wythy
The last 2 rows on the NEO's and all densified aircraft are to be blocked out unless needed.
Source? Is this BA internal comms?

If true anyway, then that is quite spectacular. Spend millions on developing the seats, reducing the legroom, refitting the aircraft, squeezing the galleys, losing the duty free etc, all for the benefit of flying 12 empty seats around Europe 90% of the time. Hmm.
florens likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Have a look at this, it shows the rear two rows unavailable except for 37C which is selected

So if they're going to be blocked most of the time why not get rid of them, increase pitch and use yield management to extract maximum revenue.

EDIT: replaced video with screenshot
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by TWEED1A
Quoting an internal message:

I thought the argument on here a couple of weeks back was that the tables in CE were being removed to reduce weight at the front for balance reasons?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:18 am

Wow - that's a pretty shocking own-goal.
florens likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Deltus
If true anyway, then that is quite spectacular. Spend millions on developing the seats, reducing the legroom, refitting the aircraft, squeezing the galleys, losing the duty free etc, all for the benefit of flying 12 empty seats around Europe 90% of the time. Hmm.
Originally Posted by layz
So if they're going to be blocked most of the time why not get rid of them, increase pitch and use yield management to extract maximum revenue.
Wow - that's a pretty shocking own-goal.
Er, why so? Surely this just means that these will be the last 12 seats to be used, not that they will be kept empty when they would otherwise be occupied and making money. The 12 seats will be empty only if there would be 12 empty seats anyway.

This seems to be no different from blocking for trim at the front of the cabin, which used to be endlessly discussed when single-cabin domestics were still in operation; and indeed the blocking for trim which other airlines do, particularly on open-seating airlines where it is highly visible to passengers.
Prospero likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.