Muscat arrivals

Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Muscat arrivals

Hi everyone,
March next I will be arriving Muscat (BA First) for just a couple of days to meet up with an old friend (the BA flight arrives early Friday morning circa 07.00). Can someone tell me the arrivals protocol. My searches have revealed that I need to purchase a visa on arrival which is first paid for at a currency exchange facility ( a separate first/business facility is apparently available) before proceeding to immigration for visa issue. Also arriving at 07.00 on a Friday morning will the immigration queues be big? Is it worth paying for the airport meet and greet service to circumvent possible queues?
Thank you in anticipation of your help.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Queues can be long, I would pay for meet and greet. Although that can also be quite slow, as you wait in a lounge for them to get your visa. On balance, a slightly better experience.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:04 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
In First you should be at the front of the queue. When we arrived (in J) we were towards the front and had about a 5 min wait. Very easy. Head into the terminal and then go to the desks straight in front of you. It’s Ł40 each. They prefer Rials (ie cash) and apparently paying on a credit card sometimes comes out as a cash advance for some reason, so use a debit card. The chaps at the subsequent passport control desk were the friendliest I have ever come across! Getting off the transfer bus to reaching baggage reclaim was about 10 minutes.

Last edited by TheFlyingCyclist; Dec 31, 2017 at 2:13 am
Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:09 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
I wouldn't bother with meet / greet personally. Get off the plane sharpish, you may be bussed, (door opens on the right), the VOA counters are straight in front of you. They are also the currency exchange booths. They do take (but don't like) credit / debit cards, you then join the immigration queue. Ive been there 3 times this year and its never taken more than 10-15 minutes. I have no experience of arriving on a weekend morning though.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:25 am

The final tests on the new airport are being undertaken now but in March the old terminal should still be in use.

Otherwise the above is true - there is no separate F facility I'm aware of. You buy the visa at the FX bureau, if you use a card they treat as a cash advance. Then turn right and join the immigration lines.

It is not the visa but the immigration lines that take time.....depending what other traffic arrives it can take a while. If you arrive at same time as an Emirates 777 it can be a pain, several times I have waited an hour, others less than 10 mins.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Out of interest, would anybody recommend Oman for a family holiday? It seems to have some very nice hotels and areas of historical interest! Something a little different from Dubai, for example.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
I think it would depend on your family. If they like walking and generally wandering around looking at things it’s fine. Apparently one of the three Shangri-La hotels is good for kids Activities etc.

In terms of a holiday, we found it a lot like Iceland in style; basically driving around looking at amazing things and doing a bit of walking.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by TedToToe
Out of interest, would anybody recommend Oman for a family holiday? It seems to have some very nice hotels and areas of historical interest! Something a little different from Dubai, for example.
Yes. I like it. The locals are very friendly and Muscat is very genteel, reminds me of Dubai 25 years ago. Hotels are to international standards.

You could combine Muscat with a trip down to Salalah or up to Mussandam.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IMPERIAL BOY
Hi everyone,
March next I will be arriving Muscat (BA First) for just a couple of days to meet up with an old friend (the BA flight arrives early Friday morning circa 07.00). Can someone tell me the arrivals protocol. My searches have revealed that I need to purchase a visa on arrival which is first paid for at a currency exchange facility ( a separate first/business facility is apparently available) before proceeding to immigration for visa issue. Also arriving at 07.00 on a Friday morning will the immigration queues be big? Is it worth paying for the airport meet and greet service to circumvent possible queues?
Thank you in anticipation of your help.
You can save having to queue for a visa by ordering one online in advance. Still costs OMR20 and just need a scan of a photo and scan of passport page and easily done in advance. Just go to https://evisa.rop.gov.om/ , create an account and apply
20Rothmans, LPQ and SafeFlyer like this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 3:46 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
You will always be bussed until the new airport opens. You have to stand close to the door of the bus and as soon as it opens, sprint into the terminal and towards the Travelex to buy the visa (it's on the right hand side). At least that's what I observed happening on my recent trip there - but I was in transit so didn't need to run
Old Dec 31, 2017, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You can save having to queue for a visa by ordering one online in advance. Still costs OMR20 and just need a scan of a photo and scan of passport page and easily done in advance. Just go to https://evisa.rop.gov.om/ , create an account and apply
I did this last month. I received the visa about 10 minutes after I submitted the application. When I entered the terminal, everyone appeared to be queuing for visas. I just turned right and walked to the immigration desk. There were only 3 people in front of me. I was through the terminal in minutes.

Palmer
Old Dec 31, 2017, 3:55 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Thanks Dave - I didnt know they did e-visa's. Much easier.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
There used to be a short stay visa but they discontinued it. So the current visa is quite dear for short stays. Make sure you procure some local money before travel if you possibly can, although that is not easy. It proved quite expensive to pay a visa in Euros.

I really hope Muscat doesn’t become like Dubai. Otherwise it will be yet another ruined, anonymous, soulless city.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by TedToToe
Yes, yes, yes! I lived there for almost ten years. A beautiful country with lovely people who wouldn't hesitate to invite you into their house for coffee and dates, help change a tyre and give you a lift home late at night (I have experienced all thee; once even a police car stopped to offer my wife and I a lift home at 1 am).

Musandam, the Wahiba Sands, Jebal Akhdar, Snake Gorge, Tiwi, Ras Al Hadd (turtle sanctuary), snokeling, diving, ancient forts, souks. I could go on and on....
DesertNomad and ThatT1Feeling like this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
SteveF, simons1 and TheFlyingCyclist, many thanks for your replies. It does sound like our type of holiday and will be going onto our 'to do' list.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.