Wiki Posts
Search

YouTube Reviewers J meal

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas WP, United Platinum
YouTube Reviewers J meal

Just came across this guys review of his LHR - SFO flight in J.
If you check out the quality and presentation of his main course meal, is this what one should expect from BA J these days?

Main starts at 9:15. The entree looks pretty shabby too :
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:24 pm

Utterly normal for BA, in my experience.

The JFK services have improved catering, but that is only currently available on a single route.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:14 am

Don't judge a meal by its picture. I was served a similar-looking chicken curry for my SIN-LHR flight recently... it looked similar, but tasted phenomenal.
trooper and icegirl like this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Don't judge a meal by its picture. I was served a similar-looking chicken curry for my SIN-LHR flight recently... it looked similar, but tasted phenomenal.

I think the reviewer enjoyed the meal in terms of taste: his comments were more about its general underwhelming nature and the sloppy, careless presentation.

Like it or not, presentation's quite a significant component of a meal service.
norvagabond, I2sky and orbitmic like this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Indeed I really hopeba generalises the jfk concept soon!
Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I think the reviewer enjoyed the meal in terms of taste: his comments were more about its general underwhelming nature and the sloppy, careless presentation.

Not for me. In the same way I don’t care what a shirt might taste like I don’t care what the food looks like.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by dougzz

Not for me. In the same way I don’t care what a shirt might taste like I don’t care what the food looks like.
then research (and restaurateurs) suggests you are in a tiny minority, including Blumenthal’s playful experiment with golden beetroot and blood orange.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 3:12 am

Presentation is I would suggest rather more important in a restaurant than on a flight..... that doesn't mean I think an effort shouldn't be made...but I do think expectations should be...realistic.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by dougzz

First time for everything I guess. Have never once heard anyone express a similar view where food is concerned !

As to the content of the video itself : most reviewers, bloggers and a good percentage of FT-ers have ‘been round the block’ a fair bit, and as such are used to experiencing the good and the bad, across a variety of carriers, and putting it all into broader context. But when I see such a shamefully poor standard of meal presentation as shown on this BA flight, I often think about the reaction of someone who might be sitting in a business class cabin for the very first time ...... and just how disappointed they might feel after a keen sense of understandable anticipation - and no little hype from the airline’s marketing pitch too.
T8191, Gerbs and mikeyfly like this.

Last edited by subject2load; Dec 31, 2017 at 3:49 am
Old Dec 31, 2017, 4:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by trooper
Presentation is I would suggest rather more important in a restaurant than on a flight..... that doesn't mean I think an effort shouldn't be made...but I do think expectations should be...realistic.
Realsitic yes - but surely the standard shown here in the video falls below that? The salad is simply embarrassing and the main looks dreadful and is presented very poorly. Whilst a 5 course Michelin Star menu is not realsitic, other carriers (Emirates for example) demonstrate that it is possible to do this so much better without going overboard.

BA continue to market Club World like this:A feast for the senses

Inspired by some of the world’s top chefs, the Club World menu combines irresistible local and international flavours to create a mouth-watering experience every time:
  • feature-packed three-course meals to suit every taste, from hearty dishes to nutritious salads
  • a thirst-quenching range of spirits, soft drinks and expertly sourced Old World and New World wines
  • an array of indulgent treats and healthy options from our Club Kitchen that you can help yourself to, throughout the flight
Can anyone really claim that meal matches those claims? "a feast for the senses" (presumably includes vision?). "a mounth-watering experience every time"
subject2load, T8191, I2sky and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pwacher
If you check out the quality and presentation of his main course meal, is this what one should expect from BA J these days?
Below is my pile it high CW meal from nearly 7 years ago. I didn't like the look or the taste so left it....no big deal as the lounge food and starter had provided me with an elegant sufficiency.
I'd far rather eat a plate of mince and tatties made at home than any airline J food to be honest.

pwacher likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Dantorp Avation is a huge reviewer on You Tube, but i do find him a bit wishy washy at times. I watch a lot of flight reviewers on You Tube and none of them have good things to say about BA, even the ones who fly BA primarily. Dennis Bunnik ( https://goo.gl/EH8Rq2) , is also a huge reviewer and one of my favourites and he flew BA recently and absolutely destroyed them on everything and in fact rightly so , he came in with no biased views and only went in with the perception that BA had given him that they market themselves as a premium carrier and came in with those expectations. BA are setting the expectation bar far too high for their customers for what they can actually perform. I personally think presentation is key, while also expecting the food to be of good quality and taste ..
pwacher, subject2load and T8191 like this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK

You make a good point. As did the reviewer, whose overall assessment seemed fair & balanced.

It’s perhaps a little easier to brush off such sloppy standards - regardless of carrier - when an employer is picking up the tab. But many, many leisure travellers, having shelled out significant cash for a premium cabin seat, will - rightly - be expecting something that can vaguely be described as premium standards of catering and presentation.
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas WP, United Platinum
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Below is my pile it high CW meal from nearly 7 years ago. I didn't like the look or the taste so left it....no big deal as the lounge food and starter had provided me with an elegant sufficiency.
I'd far rather eat a plate of mince and tatties made at home than any airline J food to be honest.

yikes! That’s one hell off a dog’s breakfast!

Old Dec 31, 2017, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Is it against BA policy for the crew to wipe the plate before serving it to the passenger?

On a general note I have always found you can never go wrong with a curry on BA ^
Flame3601 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.